Heyer will Start against Giants

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #61
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: Heyer will Start against Giants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
HEY HEY HEY leave the mayor out of this.
Huh? When did we go back to 1990?
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #62
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins! View Post
What I have not been able to get over is that Jansen seems so oblivious to his drop off in play. It is like he has blinders on when some "no name" DE is pancaking him on the way to a sack. If he would just once say something like "I haven't played at as high of a level yet as I need to, but I'm confident I will get there soon and win back my job. The rust from the injury and missing last year is almost off...", then I'd respect that.

What he does say is:
  • "It really doesn't matter how I grade myself,"
  • explanations were "nothing that I felt was reason enough."
  • I've felt I've done a good job this preseason. I didn't play very well against the Panthers, but neither did anybody else. Until then, I've had lot people in the organization tell me I was having the best camp I've ever had."
Sorry, but the guy just doesn't even see whats going on. He has a delusional self image. Maybe this makes him work harder and get back to being a good RT.
No highly competitive athlete see's a drop off in their performance . Not Monk , Rice , Marino or D. Green . We have not played a meaningful game yet , nobody knows how well he would play if called upon . He may be going down hill , he might just give us on hell of a run , if called upon .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #63
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

I don't feel very good about this move. Granted, Jansen's skills have eroded considerably since 2003 and he looked dreadful in pass protection this preseason. However, I have even less confidence in Heyer. I would have felt better if Jansen remained our starter for 2008 and was relegated to backup duty in 2009.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #64
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I don't feel very good about this move. Granted, Jansen's skills have eroded considerably since 2003 and he looked dreadful in pass protection this preseason. However, I have even less confidence in Heyer. I would have felt better if Jansen remained our starter for 2008 and was relegated to backup duty in 2009.
Well Heyer certainly outplayed Jansen all this pre-season when available IMO. Including the last game against the Jags. And the game prior Jansen got beat to a pulp by Carolinas DE.

What have you seen that gives you less confidence in Heyer?

And who really knows if the move will last maybe, just maybe (but I'm not to optimistic) this is what Jansen needed to get his butt in the highest gear he has left.

Furthermore, I really don't see a next year in Jansen's future with the Skins.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #65
BugelDisciple
Camp Scrub

I would be pumped about the decision to bench Jansen if Heyer didn't get destroyed in the playoff game in Seattle. Hopefully Heyer's commitment to the offseason training program really improved his lower body strength, which I think was a weakness for him last year, especially in pass protection.
BugelDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #66
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

im stoked for this decision..
I think heyer played pretty well for a rookie last year in pass protection and he can only improve under buges. Ive been a heyer fan since he swept in last preseason for samuels.
My main concern is his run blocking. Can he excel? That was the one area jansen was still pretty decent on.
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #67
4thGenRedskin21

DOUGHYYDOUBTER, I dont like that name at all. Why don't you like Reed? Didnt he show you he has REAL good range too? IM sorry, but im SO glad we have Reed, I dont want anyone else playing that position. If sean cant be there, reeds the next best thing for us. Him and Landry wil be very good together
4thGenRedskin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:20 AM   #68
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins! View Post
What I have not been able to get over is that Jansen seems so oblivious to his drop off in play. It is like he has blinders on when some "no name" DE is pancaking him on the way to a sack. If he would just once say something like "I haven't played at as high of a level yet as I need to, but I'm confident I will get there soon and win back my job. The rust from the injury and missing last year is almost off...", then I'd respect that.

What he does say is:
  • "It really doesn't matter how I grade myself,"
  • explanations were "nothing that I felt was reason enough."
  • I've felt I've done a good job this preseason. I didn't play very well against the Panthers, but neither did anybody else. Until then, I've had lot people in the organization tell me I was having the best camp I've ever had."
Sorry, but the guy just doesn't even see whats going on. He has a delusional self image. Maybe this makes him work harder and get back to being a good RT.
Well, let's not pile on Jansen because he didn't admit that he sucked. Not many players do that. If they do, that means they're starting to question their self-confidence; and when that happens their career is definitely over.

Also, when he said, "It really doesn't matter how I grade myself," all he's saying is that regardless of his own impressions, he realizes the coaches make the decisions. I also heard that he said something like, 'we're the players, they're the coaches'.

So he understands his role, it's not as though he's acting like a jerk or anything.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #69
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Well, let's not pile on Jansen because he didn't admit that he sucked. Not many players do that. If they do, that means they're starting to question their self-confidence; and when that happens their career is definitely over.

Also, when he said, "It really doesn't matter how I grade myself," all he's saying is that regardless of his own impressions, he realizes the coaches make the decisions. I also heard that he said something like, 'we're the players, they're the coaches'.

So he understands his role, it's not as though he's acting like a jerk or anything.
Yep I agree.

No player is going to admit his game is slipping, and I'm sure that in his mind he just doesn't see it. That's the athlete's mentality.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #70
Defensewins
Playmaker

He should keep his mouth shut and earn his spot back. I would respect that more than hearing about what he feels he deserves. He needs to prove himself on the field. He is a great teamate and a wonderful human being (to quote the late Howard Cossell). But that is not enough to keep your starting job.

Last edited by Defensewins; 09-02-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #71
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
Well its not like they cut Jansen he will be on the sidelines if Heyer struggles.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #72
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Great point. Should he tell the press, "Jeez, I just can't cut it anyone, I should hang em' up"?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #73
MTK
\m/

Jansen is going to play a role at some point this season guaranteed. He seems to be taking the demotion well and I think he'll use it as motivation to take advantage of his opportunity when it comes. Perhaps at this point in his career a switch to guard might help?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #74
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan_nn View Post
What have you seen that gives you less confidence in Heyer?
Heyer played admirably for an undrafted rookie free agent. However, he is not a very good run-blocker or a very good pass protector. He is not incredibly strong or incredibly agile. He got his lunch handed to him in several games last year, despite the fact that an extra TE was often lined up next to him to help him block his man. In sum, I see him as a mediocre backup. I pray I am wrong about the guy.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #75
T-Vo
Camp Scrub

Its sad to see Jansen's skills deteroiate so badly but he was a liability in pass protection.
T-Vo is offline   Reply With Quote