Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Official Cut Day Discussion Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Biggest surprise cut?
Mason 53 43.44%
Frost 4 3.28%
McMullen 54 44.26%
Mix 4 3.28%
Richardson 2 1.64%
other 5 4.10%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #61
dall-assblows
The Starter

Re: Official Cut Day Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell_Green_28 View Post
I sure hope this is supposed to be sarcasm. Devine was what? 3 of 8 for 32 yards and 1 int? thats lights out?? that statement is a head scratcher if it wasnt meant as sarcasm.
hahaaaaa

Advertisements
Old 08-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #62
backrow
The Starter

I half expected R. Doughty to be cut, and fully exptected Tryon to be cut.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #63
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
Billy McMullen was our only WR who had a firm grasp of the WCO. I would have cut Tryon before McMullen. With these cuts Thomas and/or Kelly had better step up quickly.
Don't get carried away grasshopper. Thrash has a handle on the WCO any day over BM and can play great on teams. Thats why hes our #3 WR a great teamer, leader and still a Redskin.

I will agree on we should have kept Billy over Big Mouth No action Tyron!
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #64
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrow View Post
I half expected R. Doughty to be cut, and fully exptected Tryon to be cut.
I would have predicated the exact same with that limp ass Tryon, he's not cut out for the NFL!

But Reed why so? I expect him to have a strong season.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

Old 08-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #65
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXoffender View Post
I liked McMullen. Thrash should've been cut.
That is crazy talk. I like Billy too but not over JT.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #66
That Guy
Living Legend

mason, mcmullen, crummey, richardson are somewhat surprising... nobody that'll turn into a superstar, but hopefully we get at least 2 on our PS (i know mcmullen is 4 years in).

tryon? seriously? that's guy is total trash... i don't remember a single game where he looked like he was worth keeping. that reeks of the FO over riding coaches, unless blache is the one that insisted on him...

i wouldn't have kept wilson either, and not sure hamilton is really going to be anything beyond our #5 safety...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #67
Boston Brave
Camp Scrub

Keeping Hamilton says something about R. Doughty (confidence) and Landry (health). I like Hamilton also, although it is hard to assess him fully given his competition on the field.
Boston Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #68
DIRTEE
Special Teams

Good we kept Justin Hamilton.
DIRTEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #69
DIRTEE
Special Teams

i guess wilson is going to handle a lot special teams work.
DIRTEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #70
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I am betting Hamilton was a pure ST keeper. He probably showed more value on ST than either McMullen or Mason.

Also, for all of you who voted for Mix on the "Who's gonna have a breakout year?" poll, I guess the man-crush is officially over.

For those backing Wilson- we're still in it.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #71
RMSkins
The Starter

I don't understand why we kept Tryon over Richardson. Richardson completely outperformed Tryon in preseason. Hopefully Richardson will be signed to our PS. I think Hamilton was kept because of Landry and Moore's injuries. If we pick up a veteran I would venture to guess either Hamilton, Wilson, or Jackson would be the first ones gone.
RMSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #72
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
mason, mcmullen, crummey, richardson are somewhat surprising... nobody that'll turn into a superstar, but hopefully we get at least 2 on our PS (i know mcmullen is 4 years in).

tryon? seriously? that's guy is total trash... i don't remember a single game where he looked like he was worth keeping. that reeks of the FO over riding coaches, unless blache is the one that insisted on him...

i wouldn't have kept wilson either, and not sure hamilton is really going to be anything beyond our #5 safety...
I agree 100% on Tryon, if someone doesn't IMO they don't know jack shit about NFL quality talent, he will NEVER make it in this league.....Trash he is!

On to the front office. Frosty apparently is making a case that the front office/Vinny is behind his departure. You have to wonder how much say so if any Coach Zorn, Danny and the coaching staff really had on this issue? Vinny and the scouts did use a draft pick on Brooks.

Posted at 5:02 PM ET, 08/30/2008

Frost Unhappy With Decision, But Moving On (First Stop - Seattle)

Just got off the phone with released punter Derrick Frost. He praised special teams coach Danny Smith and implied that the decision to let him go in favor of rookie draft pick Durant Brooks was made by the front office.
"I feel like I was dealt with dishonestly," Frost said. "I want to thank Danny Smith for the three years he gave me here, and I feel like he always treated me well, and I will continue to think that. But I think we all know who made the decision, and when you've got a draft that isn't starting to look so good, you're going to do whatever you can to make it look as good as possible."
This is Vinny Cerrato's first draft and offseason with his new title, executive vice president, and the team kept all 10 of his picks. The Redskins, informed of Frost's statement, declined to comment.
Frost said he is at peace with his performance this summer: "In hindsight you often say, 'What if I could have done this or that?' But I really feel like no matter what I would have done it would have come out this way." Within a few hours of being released Frost had calls from other teams and will be in Seattle Tuesday for a tryout.

Frost said he loves living in this area, and will make it his home here even if he finds another NFL club. He also said he hopes to keep ties to many people in the organization.
He was not given any reasoning for the decision, Frost said, but is looking forward to the future and wants to continue displaying the form he showed in training camp and the preseason games.
"I was given no explanation by anyone," Frost said. "They kept trying to tell me that it was close, that it was close and that it was an open competition, but I don't feel that was really the case."
I'd be the first to say that Frost had a shaky tenure here and the team needed to upgrade at punter, whether through a new-and-improved Frost, or someone else. But this was also by far the most consistent I had ever seen him perform in practices and games, and his leg looked bigger than ever. To me, he outproduced the kid.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #73
wolfeskins
The Starter

frost sounds like a crybaby. does he really need an explanation? he was inconsistant, a draft pick was used on a punter, thats your explanation.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #74
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Guys that earned it and got it: Alfred Fincher, Justin Hamilton, Justin Geisinger

Things that puzzled me:

1. 6 defensive ends? Wow. Is Taylor more serious than they let on?

2. Justin Tryon was awful, he should not have made any nfl roster. This is a pick to save face for taking him in the 4th round. Richardson wasn't the greatest, but play for play, he simply out played Tryon.

3. Is Kelly really hurt? If he is, that means we are going into week 1 with 4 healthy receivers? Or is there something else brewing, like maybe Reche Caldwell coming back? Caldwell was released today.

Now, thing I agree with. You have to give the job to Brooks over Frost. Why? His net average was better, he put more balls within the 20 and you spent a 6th round pick on him. Decision was easy.

Marcus Mason. Fact is, he can run the ball, but little else. His pass protection is horrendous and his specials team play less than special. Given that Portis and Betts will get all the work and maybe a few carries for Rock, what was the point when he simpyl can't contribute in the one way we needed him to --- special teams.

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #75
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeskins View Post
frost sounds like a crybaby. does he really need an explanation? he was inconsistant, a draft pick was used on a punter, thats your explanation.
I agree... Frost wasn't just trying to beat out Brooks 1 on 1 in the preseason, he was taking on Brooks and all the inconsistent punts that he had during his time here...and always at the worst times. I still remember that Tampa game in 2005 where he shanked that one with a minute to go in the 4th quarter... I think Frost was slightly better than Brooks in the preseason, but I still have absolutely no problems with this decision.

I agree with everyone here about Tryon. If he sees extended playing time this year, it could be a very long year.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote