Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

My evaluation of Shanahan starts now

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #61
Mechanix544
The Starter

Re: My evaluation of Shanahan starts now

The last two drafts have been B's. Now those B's can also turn into A's over the course of a season or two. But right now, I think he has brought fukking sanity back to drafting here in DC. Thank god.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #62
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
Well, can't have an evaluation without a draft history. (shamelessly copied off wiki - LINK) Even though it's too early to conclusively judge even the 2010 draft, here it is.

2010 Draft
Rd Pick Overall Name Position College
1 4 4 Trent Williams OT Oklahoma
4 5 103 Perry Riley LB Louisiana State
6 5 174 Dennis Morris TE Louisiana Tech
7 12 219 Terrence Austin WR UCLA
7 22 229 Erik Cook G New Mexico
7 24 231 Selvish Capers OT West Virginia

2011 Draft
Round Pick Overall Name Position College
1 16 16 Ryan Kerrigan DE Purdue
2 9 41 Jarvis Jenkins DT Clemson
3 15 79 Leonard Hankerson WR Miami
4 8 105 Roy Helu RB Nebraska
5 15 146 DeJon Gomes S Nebraska
5 24 155 Niles Paul WR Nebraska
6 12 177 Evan Royster RB Penn State
6 13 178 Aldrick Robinson WR Southern Methodist
7 10 213 Brandyn Thompson CB Boise State
7 14 217 Maurice Hurt OT Florida
7 21 224 Markus White DE Florida State
7 50 253 Chris Neild DT West Virginia

2012 Draft
Round Pick Overall Name Position College
1 2 2 Robert Griffin III QB Baylor
3 8 71 Josh LeRibeus OG Southern Methodist
4 7 102 Kirk Cousins QB Mich St
4 24 119 Keenan Robinson ILB Texas
5 6 141 Adam Gettis OG Iowa
6 3 173 Alfred Morris RB FAU
6 23 193 Tom Compton OT South Dakota
7 6 213 Richard Crawford CB Southern Methodist
7 10 217 Jordan Bernstine S Iowa

Thoughts? Anybody want to grade this so far?
out of 27 picks, 14 picks were 6th or 7th rounders. just saying

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #63
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
out of 27 picks, 14 picks were 6th or 7th rounders. just saying
Trading down trying to build depth. Could work out in the long run but all of the 6th and 7th rounders from 2010 have been cut, along with Markus White from 2011. Also, Nield (2011) might have been cut if he hadn't gone on IR.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #64
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
6 starters so far, all the first rounders have pro bowl type potential, a little bit of upside elsewhere?

Solidly average, and trending a little bit upward (above average in 2011 and 2012 combined).
Yeah. I really liked the 2011 draft. Neither Shanallen nor the previous regime seems to like 2nd-3rd rounders though, and I thought that was the "sweet" part of the draft. 1st round talent at much lower salaries. I don't know how true that is with the new rookie salary cap.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #65
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
What in the name of hades are you talking about? Am I really unqualified to compare and contrast two teams over the last three years?
In regards to assessing NFL coaching fundamentals, yes, you're unqualified.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #66
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I've noted in a couple of threads that we have drafted the most number of players (21) in the league and the most OL (7) over the past 3 drafts
Agreed with the other stuff you said. I keep seeing from lots of people that we drafted the most players over 3 drafts, only 21 guys, 7 picks a year. Seemed odd for that to be the most, so I looked at a couple other teams:

The past 3 drafts according to Pro-Football-Reference.com - Pro Football Statistics and History

Patriots - 28 (LINK)

Eagles - 33! (LINK)

Steelers - 26 (LINK)

Does our "21 players over 3 years" refer to players that survive their first training camp? The most players our franchise has drafted over a 3 year span? Considering the draft used to be 12 rounds deep probably not. Or is it a simple mistake?

Edit: Just counted my own list, lol. We've drafted 21 players the past two drafts, 27 total the past 3 drafts. Looking at those other teams now:

Edit 2: OK, over a two year span:

Patriots: 14
Eagles: 20
Steelers: 16
Redskins: 21

Edit 3: We had the most players drafted the past TWO drafts at 21. Vikings and Eagles each drafted 20. And more than one team drafted more than we did over the past three drafts.

Last edited by HailGreen28; 09-03-2012 at 09:35 PM.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #67
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 goes 50 gut View Post
No kidding, the first year Campbell was benched repeatedly for Gradkowski and only started due to injury, the second year he lucked into a couple wins while throwing for 150 yards and the usual one TD, while his running game did all the heavy lifting until he got injured NOT SLIDING (as usual) and was replaced by a mediocre Carson Palmer.
Lol, right that's exactly how it happened.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #68
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
No kidding, the first year Campbell was benched repeatedly for Gradkowski and only started due to injury, the second year he lucked into a couple wins while throwing for 150 yards and the usual one TD, while his running game did all the heavy lifting until he got injured NOT SLIDING (as usual) and was replaced by a mediocre Carson Palmer.
Very convincing post, I can tell you aren't bitter at all about Campbell and have no prejudices against him whatsoever that could potentially make me dismiss your opinion on the subject.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #69
44 goes 50 gut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Very convincing post, I can tell you aren't bitter at all about Campbell and have no prejudices against him whatsoever that could potentially make me dismiss your opinion on the subject.
Wow defensive much? I'm not bitter at all it doesn't bother me that Campbell is clearly a backup and not a starter in the NFL. It apparently bothers you enough to get all huffy over an unkind description of a backup QB who is two years removed from the Skins... So who's the bitter one?

Dissmiss me all you want ultimately he didn't impress anyone (who matters) enough to get EVEN A SHOT at a starting job, in a league where Kevin Kolb versus John Skelton is a thing. If that's not telling enough; he went to Chicago where he's the backup to the QB who some fans thought wasn't worth trading Campbell for. Hows that for irony... Bitter irony for some I suspect?
44 goes 50 gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #70
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I have a Question.... Who really cares about jc being a redskin anymore???
Old 09-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #71
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I'd give 2010 a C because while we got two starters from that draft, one has a major mark against him in Williams. The rest of that draft class was worthless.

The 2011 draft gets an A-. Seven players will be counted on to contribute in 2012, that's pretty impressive. I doubt there are any potential All Pro players other than Kerrigan but all of them will be playing a role every Sunday.

Of course it is too soon to judge the 2012 draft but I'll go with a grade no lower than a B-. We've solved the QB spot two deep for the next 5 years or worst case have a potential trade chip in Cousins. I think Crawford has something at the CB position and have hopes that LeRib and Gettis will be factors on the OL in 2013 and beyond.

Part of the plan was clearly to get younger and more 'home grown'. I've noted in a couple of threads that we have drafted the most number of players (21) in the league and the most OL (7) over the past 3 drafts, although 4 OL and 18 (plus Nield) remain on the roster. That is a huge improvement from the old, mismatched roster that was here in 2009.

One of the things the Steelers, Patriots, Giants of the league have done is cultivate a culture and a 'brand' for lack of a better term and they have drafted, traded and signed free agents according to their philosophy. This is what Shanahan is trying to do IMO.
Great post I agree but why would Mike have a bad mark for drafting tw? Not like he knew he was a doper but seriously Williams is our best player on offense besides Griff of course. Overall I give them a B- for all three drafts.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #72
skinsfan69
Living Legend

It's all going to come down to whether or not RG3 is a top QB. They have to hit on RG3 and hit big. If they do then that means we have a shot at being a consistent playoff to Supe Bowl contending type of team. If he's middle of the pack or worse then Shanahan and his son will be gone for rolling the dice on this mega trade that failed.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #73
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Bruce Allen is not going to fire Mike Shanahan. Sure, he could but Shanahan told Snyder from the start that it was going to take time to build this Redskins team into a contender. RG3 is not going to fail. I just don't see it. As soon as the offense comes together, which could very well be this year, the Redskins will be posting 12-4/13-3/14-2 kind of records. And don't forget the Redskins defense is capable of being a top 5 defense.

Sure, the Redskins could have waited on Matt Barkley or Landry Jones in the future instead of trading those picks in order to get Griffin III, but Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan felt that the team could be able to compete now if they had the right quarterback and that right quarterback is Robert Griffin III.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #74
The Goat
Pro Bowl

I'm surprised nobody has balked at the premise of the thread (title). Why on earth would an evaluation of Shanahan NOT begin two years ago...unless you're a total homer for Shanahan and want to "throw out the bad data?"

Mike has made myriad mistakes over the last two years. Every decision at QB has been errant up to RGIII. McNabb was a mistake. Rex a mistake. Beck a mistake. Campbell today is better than any of them so the honest observer would add getting rid of him was a mistake. Jamaal Brown was a huge mistake.

And that's just on the roster side. Bringing his kiddo (Kyle) was a mistake, as was not upgrading defensive coordinator at the first possible chance e.g. Wade Phillips goes to Houston and makes one of the worst defenses in the league (right there w/ the Skins after the 3-4 switch) to a top 5 defense in ONE year. Mike and Wade already worked together so why didn't Wade come aboard?

It's also noteworthy that our two best targets on offense (Davis and Moss) are guys Mike inherited, rather than developed.

Mike gets credit for making the team younger (depth) and RGIII. Hopefully things come together this year and we see results, but as someone else said I won't be the least bit surprised if Mike never wins the division or a playoff game in Washington.

Last edited by The Goat; 09-04-2012 at 03:15 AM.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #75
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Wow defensive much? I'm not bitter at all it doesn't bother me that Campbell is clearly a backup and not a starter in the NFL. It apparently bothers you enough to get all huffy over an unkind description of a backup QB who is two years removed from the Skins... So who's the bitter one?

Dissmiss me all you want ultimately he didn't impress anyone (who matters) enough to get EVEN A SHOT at a starting job, in a league where Kevin Kolb versus John Skelton is a thing. If that's not telling enough; he went to Chicago where he's the backup to the QB who some fans thought wasn't worth trading Campbell for. Hows that for irony... Bitter irony for some I suspect?
Lol, you mad huh?
Your perception of the events around Jason Campbell are skewed beyond belief.

-HTTR

Last edited by 30gut; 09-04-2012 at 08:42 AM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote