Republicans rally against 'war on religious freedom'

Debating with the enemy

Old 07-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #61
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Republicans rally against 'war on religious freedom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Of course the problem with one of those is that Muslims are not supposed to "believe in" Muhammad. Muhammad explicitly said that he was a savior and should not be worshiped. Whoever made that image is misinformed about Islam.
Just curious, what if it had said Muhammad's teachings. I know it's a hypothetical question, but would that have been seen as less offensive? I am with FD on this one, and don't think either really is appropriate for a public transit system.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #62
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Just curious, what if it had said Muhammad's teachings. I know it's a hypothetical question, but would that have been seen as less offensive? I am with FD on this one, and don't think either really is appropriate for a public transit system.
According to Islam, Muhammad did not really teach. He was merely God's mouthpiece. God spoke through him. The Qur'an contains the words of God, not the words of Muhammad (except in two small spots where Muhammad does speak). Therefore Islamic teachings are God's teachings, not Muhammad's, according to mainstream Islam.

If there is any confusion on this issue, I recommend John Esposito's book <Islam: The Straight Path>, or Karen Armstrong's biography of Muhammad.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #63
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
According to Islam, Muhammad did not really teach. He was merely God's mouthpiece. God spoke through him.
And remarkably convenient depending on Mohammad's circumstance.

Quote:
The Qur'an contains the words of God, not the words of Muhammad (except in two small spots where Muhammad does speak). Therefore Islamic teachings are God's teachings, not Muhammad's, according to mainstream Islam.

If there is any confusion on this issue, I recommend John Esposito's book <Islam: The Straight Path>, or Karen Armstrong's biography of Muhammad.
I'd recommend Pickthall's translation of the quran followed by The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam for balance. Make sure you understand the difference between Medina and Mecca suras and amuse yourself with ahadith.

Karen Armstrong is a moslem stooge who should be ignored.

I don't try to mask my revulsion of this cult, proponents should be more honest about their fascination.

Last edited by RedskinRat; 07-10-2013 at 11:32 AM.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #64
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
And remarkably convenient depending on Mohammad's circumstance.

I'd recommend Pickthall's translation of the quran followed by The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam for balance. Make sure you understand the difference between Medina and Mecca suras and amuse yourself with ahadith.

Karen Armstrong is a moslem stooge who should be ignored.

I don't try to mask my revulsion of this cult, proponents should be more honest about their fascination.
Karen Armstrong is not a Muslim, much less a "stooge." She has written a number of award-winning books on a number of religious personalities, not just Muhammad.

The books I recommended are highly regarded works from erudite authors.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #65
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
According to Islam, Muhammad did not really teach. He was merely God's mouthpiece. God spoke through him. The Qur'an contains the words of God, not the words of Muhammad (except in two small spots where Muhammad does speak). Therefore Islamic teachings are God's teachings, not Muhammad's, according to mainstream Islam.

I dated a girl who also must have been gods mouthpiece.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #66
over the mountain
Playmaker

the "freedom of religion vs freedom from religion" argument seems to being heating up amongst the devout christians and meddling non-christians . .

should a christian prayer be allowed at a public high school graduation?

should a pastor be able to hold a sermon on a public beach without a permit which is required when more than 50 people want to assemble?

idk and frankly i feel lucky to say i really dont care. although i do find religous zealots' wanting their beliefs to be law funny.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #67
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Karen Armstrong is not a Muslim, much less a "stooge." She has written a number of award-winning books on a number of religious personalities, not just Muhammad.

The books I recommended are highly regarded works from erudite authors.
I apologize, I meant 'stooge for moslems/islam', and thought that to be apparent.

I trust people will do their research before picking up any of the books recommended.

Karen Armstrong, in the words of one of my heroes:

In any case, I am hopeful that Armstrong's winsome depiction of Islam will shame and enlighten them, as it has me. They will discover that Hassan al-Banna and Tariq Ramadan are paragons of meliorism and wisdom, while we are ignorant bigots who know nothing of theology (of course), politics (Christopher, are you listening?), human nature (what's to know?), or the proper limits of science (um ... narrower?).
I can't quite remember how we got it into our heads that jihad was linked to violence. (Might it have had something to do with the actual history and teachings of Islam?) And how could we have been so foolish as to connect the apparently inexhaustible supply of martyrs in the Muslim world to the Islamic doctrine of martyrdom? In my own defense, let me say that I do get spooked whenever Western Muslims advocate the murder of apostates (as 36 percent of Muslim young adults do in Britain). But I now know that these freedom-loving people just "want to see God reflected more clearly in public life."
I will call my friend Ayaan Hirsi Ali at once and encourage her to come out of hiding: Come on out, dear. Karen says the coast is clear. As it turns out, those people who have been calling for your murder don't understand Islam any better than we do. Sam Harris
Old 07-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #68
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
idk and frankly i feel lucky to say i really dont care.
We're particularly fortunate that we are still able to not care. For how long, though?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #69
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
And how could we have been so foolish as to connect the apparently inexhaustible supply of martyrs in the Muslim world to the Islamic doctrine of martyrdom? In my own defense, let me say that I do get spooked whenever Western Muslims advocate the murder of apostates (as 36 percent of Muslim young adults do in Britain). But I now know that these freedom-loving people just "want to see God reflected more clearly in public life."
I will call my friend Ayaan Hirsi Ali at once and encourage her to come out of hiding: Come on out, dear. Karen says the coast is clear. As it turns out, those people who have been calling for your murder don't understand Islam any better than we do. Sam Harris
Not just martyrs, more from the moderate Iranian version of the "religion of peace".

Iran gives Christians 80 lashes for communion wine as UN blasts human rights record | Fox News
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #70
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
the "freedom of religion vs freedom from religion" argument seems to being heating up amongst the devout christians and meddling non-christians . .

should a christian prayer be allowed at a public high school graduation?

should a pastor be able to hold a sermon on a public beach without a permit which is required when more than 50 people want to assemble?

idk and frankly i feel lucky to say i really dont care. although i do find religous zealots' wanting their beliefs to be law funny.

It all heats up around Christmas with the argument on whether Nativity scenes should be allowed in public places .
Old 11-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #71
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Sarah Palin 'taken aback' by Pope Francis's 'liberal' statements – The Lead with Jake Tapper - CNN.com Blogs

Of course, she would be the one person who would call out the pope

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #72
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Pretty much a clear sign he's on the right track.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #73
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Pretty much a clear sign he's on the right track.
I'm not catholic but has always paid close attention to the papacy. So far pope Francis has been a breath of fresh air and really the message of inclusion in the church has been encouraging. So naturally Palin objects. I think Francis is gonna bring peeps back to church.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:04 AM   #74
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I'm not catholic but has always paid close attention to the papacy. So far pope Francis has been a breath of fresh air and really the message of inclusion in the church has been encouraging. So naturally Palin objects. I think Francis is gonna bring peeps back to church.

I hope so ....

Old 11-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #75
MTK
\m/

Quote:
She really is one of the biggest morons alive.