Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Official Skins sign Patten thread (merged)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-04-2005, 09:41 AM   #61
DMac19
Camp Scrub

Re: Patten Signing

Adding Patten to the receiving core was a great pickup. Not only will he provide to be a valuable receiver but also an older guy who has experience winning that can help mentor our young receivers. With all the talk of us taking a WR at #9 this is a great signing
DMac19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-04-2005, 09:47 AM   #62
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Nice post DMac, and welcome to the board!
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:17 AM   #63
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown
Did you seriously just say that we would draft defense? Whatever your smoking, hook it up. And you even mentioned Strong Safety. What team are you talking about? We have the 3rd best defense, the 27th best offense, and your concerned about building the defense. What a joke.

Our starting MLB and leader of our D (Pierce) is gone to Giants. MLB Michael Barrow has a bad wheel, did not play a single down last year and is probably gone as well. Who do have in mind to start at MLB? Monksdown on crack?
If you knew something about football, you would know Williams' system is dependent on having good LB's and CB's, including good backups at LB. People were getting upset on this sight last year with the large amount of LB's & CB's we picked during to offseason last year. Considering all the big injuries we had at LB last year (Arrington & Barrow) Williams ended up being right.

Point 2: When you pick near the top of the first round, you have take the best player available. If it that player is not at a position that will help your team or you feel is not worthy of being picked that high you trade down. If you reach for a certain player because of need (WR) you end up wth a Desmond Howard. IMO Braylon Edwars is the only WR worthy of being a top 9 pick. Williams is a big possesion WR and is not very fastest.
Derek Johnson, if available is a top 5 player who happens to be a LB, a position we need to fill.
We also are thin at CB and SS. The reason I say we are this at SS is our talent at SS is good, but not great.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:23 AM   #64
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
Our starting MLB and leader of our D (Pierce) is gone to Giants. MLB Michael Barrow has a bad wheel, did not play a single down last year and is probably gone as well. Who do have in mind to start at MLB? Monksdown on crack?
If you knew something about football, you would know Williams' system is dependent on having good LB's and CB's, including good backups at LB. People were getting upset on this sight last year with the large amount of LB's & CB's we picked during to offseason last year. Considering all the big injuries we had at LB last year (Arrington & Barrow) Williams ended up being right.

Point 2: When you pick near the top of the first round, you have take the best player available. If it that player is not at a position that will help your team or you feel is not worthy of being picked that high you trade down. If you reach for a certain player because of need (WR) you end up wth a Desmond Howard. IMO Braylon Edwars is the only WR worthy of being a top 9 pick. Williams is a big possesion WR and is not very fastest.
Derek Johnson, if available is a top 5 player who happens to be a LB, a position we need to fill.
We also are thin at CB and SS. The reason I say we are this at SS is our talent at SS is good, but not great.
Your name shows your bias, so I'll cut you some slack. I dont pretend to know everything about Gregg Williams Defense. But I can assume that he does, and if he says that Lemar Marshall can get the job done, then so be it. I liked Pierce, but you need more than one season at a pro bowl level to earn pro bowl money.

And you dont like Sean Taylor at Strong Safety?

We are thin at cornerback, but most will argue that this year's draft has more wide out talent than corner talent.

That being said, with the addition of Patten, we could possibly wait on a wide receiver. If they see a defensive lineman they particularly like, then that is fine with me. But this year isnt the end to our Coles problems, I am concerned about next year too. Is this the end of Lav Coles offseason complaints?
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:24 AM   #65
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

didn't williams run a 4.5-4.6 at the combine last week? i know there r mixed feelings about combine results but that's still pretty damn good for a guy of his size and dude didn't look like he hadn't played in a year either. I could understand trading down if he's gone but if he's there it'd be idiotic to pass up on him. Not only would it fill a huge need but it'd be with a player who has a very high upside to his potential.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:25 AM   #66
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcjr14
Not alot of talk about this on here??? I think this is a significant addition to the team. Experience and productivity are the bright spots not too mention speed. Good possession receiver for some crossing routes.

What does everyone think?
Actually there's plenty of talk going on, please take a look around before posting a new thread. thanks
Old 03-04-2005, 10:28 AM   #67
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Re: Official Skins sign Patten thread (merged)

whoa that kind of freaked me out for a second. I finish posting a reply and it shows i'm on the 7th page of the thread when I was on the first of the repeat thread. the power of merging at work.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #68
That Guy
Living Legend

sean taylor is a free safety... bowen then lott then franz/clark played SS... bowen is perfect... unless you want him to actually cover someone, in which case he's more than worthless. sucks he's only 2/3rds of what we need...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:34 AM   #69
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Your name shows your bias, so I'll cut you some slack. I dont pretend to know everything about Gregg Williams Defense. But I can assume that he does, and if he says that Lemar Marshall can get the job done, then so be it. I liked Pierce, but you need more than one season at a pro bowl level to earn pro bowl money.

And you dont like Sean Taylor at Strong Safety?

We are thin at cornerback, but most will argue that this year's draft has more wide out talent than corner talent.

That being said, with the addition of Patten, we could possibly wait on a wide receiver. If they see a defensive lineman they particularly like, then that is fine with me. But this year isnt the end to our Coles problems, I am concerned about next year too. Is this the end of Lav Coles offseason complaints?

Sean Taylor is a free safety.
Lemar Marshall as a fulltime MLB is an experiment, just like Pierce at MLB last year was a very successful experiment. Neither of these two players had any experience at MLB before last year. We need a back up plan if Lemar does not work as well as Piece did.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:34 AM   #70
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
sean taylor is a free safety... bowen then lott then franz/clark played SS... bowen is perfect... unless you want him to actually cover someone, in which case he's more than worthless. sucks he's only 2/3rds of what we need...
Too much time with the video games I guess. Espn 2k5 lists him as a Strong Safety, what he was in college.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:35 AM   #71
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Lemar Marshall as a fulltime MLB is an experiment, just like Pierce at MLB last year was a very successful experiment. Neither of these two players had any experience at MLB before last year. We need a back up plan if Lemar does not work as well as Piece did.
barrow, barnes, campbell... we still have like 42 LBs...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #72
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Your right about Taylor. My fault.

But dont you have any apprehension about the value of Pierce? Not any. I was concerned that after one year with a great defense, he could be overrated. Again, I love the guy, I just think it takes more than a year to prove your worth.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #73
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
barrow, barnes, campbell... we still have like 42 LBs...
Barrow? How many games did he play as a Redskin?
that leaves two back ups? Not enough.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:40 AM   #74
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Your right about Taylor. My fault.

But dont you have any apprehension about the value of Pierce? Not any. I was concerned that after one year with a great defense, he could be overrated. Again, I love the guy, I just think it takes more than a year to prove your worth.
I agree, we could not resign him for what the Giants signed him. Same with Smoot. He is not worth the big contract that he is asking for. Smott is not a shut down corner, we should not pay him like one, regardless of how much everylone like his personality.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:42 AM   #75
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
I agree, we could not resign him for what the Giants signed him. Same with Smoot. He is not worth the big contract that he is asking for. Smott is not a shut down corner, we should not pay him like one, regardless of how much everylone like his personality.
Yeah the Smoot thing. I really like his character too. I can deal with not resigning him. But i dont want to get an equivalent cornerback for more or even the same amount. Either we go elite, or maybe we draft and work from within. Again, I leave it in the hands of Gregg and the defensive boys.