Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Lighten Up On Snyder

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #61
GusFrerotte

Re: Lighten Up On Snyder

Also I just reviewed all the active threads in the Locker Room. Not one is titled Snyder sucks or bench JC. I guess this is a pre emptive thread to counter such threads, but none have been posted recently. Only a couple guys on other threads have said JC sucked or should be benched, and Snyder does deserve some heat. Why do you think they give the Lombardi to the owner after the SB? Guy has to account for something with regards to the FO and the handling of team operations, it is his team.

Advertisements
Old 09-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #62
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSkinsFan View Post
I have never been on a season ticket list and got called by the Redskisn and offered season tickets, twice. Yes he is a Redskins fan, are you? I bet he spent way more cash on this franchise than you have.
That's what is wrong with our Snyder and our franchise.

How can money be a mark of your fanhood? Money doesn't make you fan...if so Bill Gates would only reserve the right to be called the biggest fan in the world.

Eff all that. It's not about money. It's about time and effort (non-monetary effort).

The question is what is Dan Snyder doing modern day to help that doesn't involve tons of money???...I don't know the answer do you?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #63
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSkinsFan View Post
I have never been on a season ticket list and got called by the Redskisn and offered season tickets, twice. Yes he is a Redskins fan, are you? I bet he spent way more cash on this franchise than you have.
I asked him if he was a Skins fan for a specific reason......which you foolishly misinterpreted.
BTW, is cash spent the measure of a Skins fan?
AND, since you probably know little about him, and nothing about me or my Skins spending habit....THAT is....seriously ignorant
Old 09-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #64
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post

How can money be a mark of your fanhood? Money doesn't make you fan...if so Bill Gates would only reserve the right to be called the biggest fan in the world.

Eff all that. It's not about money. It's about time and effort (non-monetary effort).

The question is what is Dan Snyder doing modern day to help that doesn't involve tons of money???...I don't know the answer do you?
What do you want him to do?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #65
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:

No I don't. But I can tell you one idea I have. Step out of football operations, hire a high regarded GM, fire Vinny Cerrato, and allow the GM to rebuild the franchise through youth, smart drafting, and using free agency to supplement an overall plan, kind of like the Steelers and Patriots do. They purposely draft in many rounds with an aim of replacing future players. We seem to draft off a whim. I think a sincere effort to hire a highly reputable front office would go a mile and do wonders for Dan Snyder's status with an angry fan base.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #66
dgack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
You just don't get it. It's not about how much money is spent, it's about how that money is spent. Snyder can't buy a Super Bowl. If a decade of mediocrity doesn't make an impression on you, I guess nothing will. Again, I'll take a financially cautious ownership like the Rooneys any day of the week and twice on Sundays. [Especially on Sundays!]
I'm going to offer a slightly different viewpoint. I don't think it's HOW that money is spent, either. After all, if Snyder won, we wouldn't care if he was the most wasteful owner on the planet. Their fans don't care about how much dough the Lakers or Yankees spend, right?

Can you say The Danny doesn't care about winning and is just some evil businessman out to extract his profit? I don't think you really can. There are plenty of owners in pro sports who do this and Snyder doesn't fit the mold.

He spends too much money on players and coaches to fit the cheap-ass tightwad owner model (think NBA's Donald Sterling or Michael Heisley here) and the Zorn Experiment clearly shows that he's not just making decisions based on who he thinks can draw the highest revenue to the park.

Never ascribe to malice what can more easily be attributed to incompetence. I think it's quite simple, really: the skills that allowed Snyder to excel in the business world do not translate well in the NFL world.

/shrug.
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
Old 09-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #67
saden1
MVP

Snyder sucks...Send me money to buy the Redskins and you'll have a season ticket for life.

Send money to:

P.O. Box 2419
Mumfuga Drive
Lagos, Nigeria.

Thank you.

-Jenkins
Old 09-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #68
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I asked him if he was a Skins fan for a specific reason......which you foolishly misinterpreted.
BTW, is cash spent the measure of a Skins fan?
AND, since you probably know little about him, and nothing about me or my Skins spending habit....THAT is....seriously ignorant
I dont know. I assume if someone is willing to spend thousands on season tickets, they are probably a die hard fan. Is money the measure? Absolutely not. Just like the amount of money Snyder spend is not a measure. And I certainly don't think blindly following Snyder and not getting angry at watching a proud franchise operate dysfucntionally is a measure. You can criticize and mock an owner and still love the franchise, which you seem to imply you can't. If that is the case, 75% of the fan base then aren't fans.

Sorry my friend, I have been a fan since I was 4, that is 36 years, and I have lived through the great eras, the good eras and the bad eras. Sue me for wanting the good times back. Shame on me for wanting a franchise that consistently wins. Shame on me for not wanting my beloved Redskins to be known as the next Cardinals, Browns, Lions, and Bengals.

Yes, i can be a fan and hate the way Dan Snyder runs this team. Yes, I can still be a fan. Matter of fact, I bet, given my age and Snyder's age, I have been a fan just as long as him. As long as Snyder and Cerrato are calling the shots, I simply don't know how we will get better than the last ten years. They have a proven track record. Look at the team from 2000 to present. That is their track record.

You can say he wants to win all you want. Yes, he probably does. Fact is, he is not. And if winning is all that matters to him over money, then he should be trying anything, including taking himself out of the equation, if that is what it takes to win.

Wonder how many were calling for Snyder and Cerrato's heads on Sunday night?

Old 09-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #69
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What do you want him to do?
Hire a humble GM who is esteemed in the NFL and then sit back and watch him work.

Evaluate that GM's performance after he has archived calculatable results. Only make ownership decisions to keep that GM after his results have been tallied. That is the only on field decisions I want Snyder making.

Snyder can have any other annicillary financial decision that involves the team just not the ones that affect anything on the field.

All of those I've just mentioned would really cost Snyder minimally and Snyder would only have to pay in swallowed pride. Tell Snyder to keep the money in his pockets and his influence in the box and that will end up being the final answer to everything.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #70
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Snyder sucks...Send me money to buy the Redskins and you'll have a season ticket for life.

Send money to:

P.O. Box 2419
Mumfuga Drive
Lagos, Nigeria.

Thank you.
I sent my money there over a month ago... Still waiting on my tickets..

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #71
beemnsevenspop
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
This is exactly what's happening. What crimes has Snyder committed? Again without replaying the Norv/Marty/Spurrier tune.

Hired Gibbs and gave him total control of the franchise? I'm sure you were against that.
- Hired Zorn, kept Blache and most of coaching staff intact? When the Skins were 6-2 last year I'm sure you had no problem with that.
- Player acquisitions and draft I'd say not terrible, not great. But this falls on Cerrato. He's only had complete control and accountability for less than two years.

Snyder isn't the fault of the recent troubles. He's an easy target for guys with blogs to write stuff trashing Snyder and get web-hits from it. It's good business, right?

I'm all for a GM, if it's Holmgren right now, it makes sense. But for God sakes can we get further down the path of this season before we're tying people to the stake or throwing them in a lake.
ANY and ALL 'Skins fans felt that hiring Gibbs was a brilliant move - UNTIL his four-year record turned out to be 30-34 - (Blasphemous admission forthcoming): personally, I was glad he left a year early, 2 playoff years notwithstanding; the game had clearly passed him by, despite his hall of fame enshrinement...

Yeah, 6-2 was great, but it's a SIXTEEN GAME season - 8-8, ain't so great....unless you are a fan of abject mediocrity...

Player acquisitions "Not so great"????? Oh, PUH-LEEZE!!!!! But since you put the blame on "My Cousin Vinny", just who do you think bears (but has abdicated thus far) the responsibility to kick his fanny to the curb?

Cerrato in control for two years? BULL S***! His fingers have been in the 'Skins pie for NINE years - and if he thought Jeff George were still available for a first-round pick today, you could kiss that pick adios.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #72
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Hire a humble GM who is esteemed in the NFL and then sit back and watch him work.

Evaluate that GM's performance after he has archived calculatable results. Only make ownership decisions to keep that GM after his results have been tallied. That is the only on field decisions I want Snyder making.

Snyder can have any other annicillary financial decision that involves the team just not the ones that affect anything on the field.

All of those I've just mentioned would really cost Snyder minimally and Snyder would only have to pay in swallowed pride. Tell Snyder to keep the money in his pockets and his influence in the box and that will end up being the final answer to everything.
Bingo! That is what Rooney's do in Pittsburgh and Kraft does in NE. That is how successful franchises operate. That is also why a once over active owner in hockey, Ted Leonsis, stepped aide and stayed in the box and out of personnel. Guess what, the Caps franchise is now in good shape for the next 5 to 7 years.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #73
Coff
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Wow, I never would have guessed these were your feelings from reading your highly unbiased reports at DCPSR. I am amazed at the objectivity that shines through your reports now that I know how you really feel.

Ok, now that was a joke.

But what exactly about his statement do you find wrong?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #74
beemnsevenspop
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I would love to see most of you anti-snyder people put in his shoes. if so, chances are in more than half the cases, we fans would go through several years of chasing last year's hot names (look at the fire zorn now thread, or JC sucks threads). and then we would probably go through a couple of years of bring back the glory days, look at people calling for Grimm(he may be the right answer, but a part of the hell yeah sentiment is rooted in his traditions with the Skins), and then if we are honest with ourselves we might try to bring in a FO guy we trust and give him more freedom, even with our input.
I say this, and I believe it, that Snyder is still growing learning, and desperately wants a SB Trophy. It may take a while but I believe he will eventually bring one to DC
I'd like to see me in his shoes too, as long as his wallet was part of the deal. As far as a SB trophy is concerned, even HE doesn't have the necessary funds to buy one -which is how he views the means for its acquisition.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #75
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

We'll probably end up with Shanahan or Cowher in full control. And that will make everyone thrilled because it's not Cerrato. But it ignores the fact that Shanahan has been a terrible general manager and Cowher has never even been one.

Cerrato has done a lot in revamping the front office and scouting department the past two off-seasons and has done a decent job in the draft with the picks he has had to work with. The onus is on him entirely for the Taylor trade but it wasn't VC that pushed for the Redskins to send multiple picks for Duckett and Lloyd.

The smartest thing for the Redskins to do in my opinion (short of bringing Marty back!!! ) is to promote the well-regarded and respected Morocco Brown to General Manager and keep the scouting staff largely in tact.