Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

New Games on the Horizon (the video game thread)

Parking Lot

Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #691
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

re: New Games on the Horizon (the video game thread)

My video game buying has kind of trailed off lately (I still want to get AC3 and Max Payne 3 at some point) but I'm really looking forward to The Last Of Us and especially the new BioShock.
I've played the first two BioShock games at least 4 times each and they just don't get old to me, mainly because of the story lines. I know #3 is going to be completely different but I'm okay with that as long as the tone is the same.

Advertisements
Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #692
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
^Yes, especially that CRAPPY GoldenEye game.
Goldeneye was good? No?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #693
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Goldeneye was good? No?
Point is not all games based on movies sucked back in the day.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #694
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
True. Pretty sure games like The Walking Dead are the exception to the rule. As far as SP goes, I am enthusiastic about it because Matt Stone and Trey Parker are involved with it. Usually you don't see that with a crossover game. I don't think it's going to be like those other cheap crossover games out there. Still though, there are other crossover titles out there that have gotten good reviews, like Resident Evil and Batman.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #695
los panda
Pro Bowl

goldeneye for n64 was/is my favorite video game of all time.

as far a as cool game based on a movie; the warriors for xbox

Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #696
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Right but the days of NES and even SNES it was a safe bet games based on movies and TV shows sucked. Agreed?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #697
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
True. Pretty sure games like The Walking Dead are the exception to the rule. As far as SP goes, I am enthusiastic about it because Matt Stone and Trey Parker are involved with it. Usually you don't see that with a crossover game. I don't think it's going to be like those other cheap crossover games out there. Still though, there are other crossover titles out there that have gotten good reviews, like Resident Evil and Batman.
Resident Evil started as a game then became a movie. Which another good generally rule is if a movie or TV show is based off a video game it will suck too.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #698
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
goldeneye for n64 was/is my favorite video game of all time.

awesome, that's exactly how it was she would totally walk right into the line of fire
Old 01-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #699
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
All my friends rave about Mass Effect and over the Christmas holiday Steam had a deal on Mass Effect 2 for $5. I bought it and I'm HOOKED. I've put in almost 30 hours of game time on Steam so far. About 1/2 finished with the game and I am fully intending on replaying it.

Right now I'm more paragon than renegade with female Shepard. I'm going to replay it as male Shepard and be a total asshole (renegade).

My ex has Mass Effect 3 on Xbox and I've started playing that, but I want to buy it for the computer so I can play it at home on my own time.

I don't know what it is about Mass Effect. I'm not into sci-fi genre anything. TV, movies, games. I usually don't touch it. But this game has me hooked. Big time.

I heard the Mass Effect 3 ending was a blower. (Don't spoil it!) Which is kind of disappointing since the gameplay is stupidly good.
Mass Effect 2 is without a doubt, bar none, the greatest game I've ever played. I've done as many as 6 or 7 30+ hour play throughs and it could be as many as 10. I also enjoyed Mass Effect 1 but the combat was so clunky and dated that it's kind of a grind to get through, still love it enough to put it in that "greatest games of all time list."

**Don't worry no spoilers ahead**
As for Mass Effect 3, the best you can hope for is that you think the current batch of endings is okay. Thats my take on it but seeing as how Mass Effect 2 set the bar so high anything less then a B+ ending was an absolute failure.

The ending is basically the equivalent of rooting for the Caps all of these years where they have AWESOME regular seasons and then fall short in the postseason. In fact thats the perfect analogy, the initial endings were being knocked out in the first round by Monteal, the current batch is like the last postseason run where they lost in Game 7 to the Rags during the second round.

With that said make sure you download the Extended Cut so you don't have to see the horror that is the original endings. Like I said the fixes they made for the ending are okay but it's still not the type of ending that fans wanted from such a great trilogy.

My personal recommendation is turn the game off when you get to the final Earth mission and wait till around March where theres like a 1% chance that the latest DLC will do something to fix the endings, but thats just me.

Granted my problems with ME3 go beyond the ending but had they just made the endings right it would have been so easy to ignore the other problems.

On a side note though if you like Mass Effect you also might like Dragon Age Orgins. I personally hate games with a fantasy setting but this one has me hooked. I have been warned though not to play Dragon Age 2 so I'm taking that advice.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #700
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Right but the days of NES and even SNES it was a safe bet games based on movies and TV shows sucked. Agreed?
Angry Video Game Nerd has tons of videos on this topic.

Schwarzenegger Games
Schwarzenegger Games - Angry Video Game Nerd - Episode 107 - Cinemassacre.com - YouTube

Star Wars
Star Wars Games - Angry Video Game Nerd - Cinemassacre.com - YouTube

You can find the rest here.
AVGN Episodes - YouTube

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #701
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Yall talked me into it, just orderd Far Cry 3 on ebay.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #702
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
oh man, i had total recall. it was so frustrating, so terrible. i never played any of the other arnold games
Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #703
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
You my friend has just slayed my boring Friday afternoon, thank you.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #704
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Mass Effect 2 is without a doubt, bar none, the greatest game I've ever played. I've done as many as 6 or 7 30+ hour play throughs and it could be as many as 10. I also enjoyed Mass Effect 1 but the combat was so clunky and dated that it's kind of a grind to get through, still love it enough to put it in that "greatest games of all time list."

**Don't worry no spoilers ahead**
As for Mass Effect 3, the best you can hope for is that you think the current batch of endings is okay. Thats my take on it but seeing as how Mass Effect 2 set the bar so high anything less then a B+ ending was an absolute failure.

The ending is basically the equivalent of rooting for the Caps all of these years where they have AWESOME regular seasons and then fall short in the postseason. In fact thats the perfect analogy, the initial endings were being knocked out in the first round by Monteal, the current batch is like the last postseason run where they lost in Game 7 to the Rags during the second round.

With that said make sure you download the Extended Cut so you don't have to see the horror that is the original endings. Like I said the fixes they made for the ending are okay but it's still not the type of ending that fans wanted from such a great trilogy.

My personal recommendation is turn the game off when you get to the final Earth mission and wait till around March where theres like a 1% chance that the latest DLC will do something to fix the endings, but thats just me.

Granted my problems with ME3 go beyond the ending but had they just made the endings right it would have been so easy to ignore the other problems.

On a side note though if you like Mass Effect you also might like Dragon Age Orgins. I personally hate games with a fantasy setting but this one has me hooked. I have been warned though not to play Dragon Age 2 so I'm taking that advice.
The way you describe the endings reminded me of how the Sopranos ended.

Although I think some people actually liked that ending. I wasn't in that group.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #705
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
The way you describe the endings reminded me of how the Sopranos ended.

Although I think some people actually liked that ending. I wasn't in that group.
Originally it might have well have been a carbon copy of the Sopranos finale because it was basically one of those vague "lets not answer any questions" type deals. The current version answers a decent amount of questions but still is flawed to say the least. Anyway it will make sense when you see it. Like I said before theres a large amount of holdouts that hope something will be done to make it a little better through DLC but at the same time it doesn't seem likely.

Either way they're claiming that the latest DLC is a big one as they've brought back a bunch of the voice actors, all the writers, and the main composer but they now have a track record of overstating how awesome things are going to be.

For now though enjoy the game after reading this depressing post, lol

- FRPLG