Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

New Games on the Horizon (the video game thread)

Parking Lot

Old 01-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #676
MTK
\m/

re: New Games on the Horizon (the video game thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Far Cry 3. I can't say enough good things about this game. My only complaint is I never have enough time to play it during the week.

I played Far Cry 2 a couple years ago, and I thought it was okay despite the lack of fast travel points, the constantly respawning enemy checkpoints (making travel much longer) the annoying malaria that kicked in the middle of the gunfights and your gun constantly jamming due to wear and tear.

The good news is that Far Cry 3 has none of that. In fact, there isn't a single thing about Far Cry 3 that really annoys me so far, and I'm about halfway through the game. There's so much to do too, and it constantly keeps you on your toes because of the pirates and the wildlife that will attack you if you're not in a vehicle. And with fast travel spots all over the map, if you don't want to drive a long ways to a mission site or something it makes it super quick getting there.

Long story short, Far Cry 3 lives up to the hype, for me personally.
I've been playing FC3 for a few days now, I like it but I can see what you're saying as far as the time commitment. The other day I was playing and all I was doing was hunting and crafting, and before I knew it an hour and a half wizzed by. I've gotta get back to the missions. Plus I get distracted just f'ing with the pirates. Fun game.

Advertisements
Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #677
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I've been playing FC3 for a few days now, I like it but I can see what you're saying as far as the time commitment. The other day I was playing and all I was doing was hunting and crafting, and before I knew it an hour and a half wizzed by. I've gotta get back to the missions. Plus I get distracted just f'ing with the pirates. Fun game.
Do you need to play 1 and 2 also or is this a stand alone?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #678
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I was playing that for a while and got away from it for whatever reason.

I liked it, need to get back into it.
I think Walking Dead won the VGA award for GOTY. A testement to its greatness as well as the weak year that was 2012. I mean it's great to see an underdog win it but at the same time it has to be an indictment against the weak competition.

Mass Effect 3 should have easily been the top game in 2012 and they blew it with the crappy ending, that's now okay but no where near where it should be (there are other issues too but the ending is the one that sticks out the most). I can't help but laugh at how I kept telling myself before the games release "theres no way anyone could screw up a Mass Effect game."

Either way I was happy to see the Walking Dead get some recognition as it's a great game. Speaking of which I need to get back into it as I'm still stuck in Macon. lol.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #679
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Do you need to play 1 and 2 also or is this a stand alone?
It stands on it's own, I never played 1 or 2
Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #680
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I think Walking Dead won the VGA award for GOTY. A testement to its greatness as well as the weak year that was 2012. I mean it's great to see an underdog win it but at the same time it has to be an indictment against the weak competition.

Mass Effect 3 should have easily been the top game in 2012 and they blew it with the crappy ending, that's now okay but no where near where it should be (there are other issues too but the ending is the one that sticks out the most). I can't help but laugh at how I kept telling myself before the games release "theres no way anyone could screw up a Mass Effect game."

Either way I was happy to see the Walking Dead get some recognition as it's a great game. Speaking of which I need to get back into it as I'm still stuck in Macon. lol.
Yeah same here. I like the game but I find I only really play it when I'm totally bored with everything else. It's just not a go to game for me.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #681
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

An Xbox That Bleeds Into Your Walls

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #682
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post

All my friends rave about Mass Effect and over the Christmas holiday Steam had a deal on Mass Effect 2 for $5. I bought it and I'm HOOKED. I've put in almost 30 hours of game time on Steam so far. About 1/2 finished with the game and I am fully intending on replaying it.

Right now I'm more paragon than renegade with female Shepard. I'm going to replay it as male Shepard and be a total asshole (renegade).

My ex has Mass Effect 3 on Xbox and I've started playing that, but I want to buy it for the computer so I can play it at home on my own time.

I don't know what it is about Mass Effect. I'm not into sci-fi genre anything. TV, movies, games. I usually don't touch it. But this game has me hooked. Big time.

I heard the Mass Effect 3 ending was a blower. (Don't spoil it!) Which is kind of disappointing since the gameplay is stupidly good.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #683
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I played Mass Effect one and it was so painfully control wise I just put it down. I could not aim at people; walking around was awkward etc...
Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #684
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I played Mass Effect one and it was so painfully control wise I just put it down. I could not aim at people; walking around was awkward etc...
Did you play console or PC?

Old 01-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #685
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Did you play console or PC?
Console.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #686
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

They're so much easier on the PC. Exactly the reason why I prefer getting ME3 for the computer instead of PS3.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #687
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Looks like I wasn't crazy.
Best Games of 2012 - Metacritic
Quote:
A far cry from 2011's heights

It's a good thing that 2013 looks likely to be loaded with great games, because, as we look over this year's numbers, it seems 2012 wasn't. Not even the late arrival of a great new installment in Ubisoft's Far Cry series could make up for the fact that the past 12 months paled in comparison to recent years, at least at the high end of the scale.

Just 14 console games—and 18 products overall, including PC and handheld (non-iOS) titles—scored 90 or higher in 2012. Those figures represent a huge drop from the previous year, when 23 console titles (and 32 games overall) met or exceeded the 90 mark. In fact, since we started publishing these year-end reports in 2009, we have never encountered such a low total number of great games in a single year.
Anyway I'm kind of excited about The Last of Us but the game I'm really looking forward to right now is Beyond Two Souls which is a product of the same team that put together Heavy Rain. South Park and Watch Dogs also seem pretty interesting. Never could get into the Bioshock series but a lot of the things the developers have said in interviews really resonate with me so I'll probably give Bioshock Infinite a spin.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #688
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

As far as I can remember right now there are only 3 games I'm looking forward to that should be coming out this year. GTA, Watch Dogs, and South Park. I still watch South Park's new episodes even as the tone has changed from earlier in the series. I remember playing South Park on the Nintendo 64 at a friend's house a long time ago. This should be wayyyyy better than that. Watch Dogs looks cool too, I saw the game play trailer and was intrigued. And of course I don't need to say anything about GTA, I will say though I love the idea of 3 protagonists.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #689
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I can't believe that hte game of the year ws based off a TV show and people are looking forward to South Park as a game.

The number one rule when growing up was if the game was based off a movie or TV show it sucked. Hence Jaws for NES and Rambo for NES; awful games that hours of lawn cutting was wasted on.

I did though like the NES Goonies II game for some reason:

TAS Goonies 2 NES in 16:45 by Randil - YouTube

That game was ahead of it's time.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #690
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

^Yes, especially that CRAPPY GoldenEye game.