All things Middle East related

Debating with the enemy

Old 08-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #676
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: All things Middle East related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
You are right. My rant and raving was a bit much yesterday. Apologies to you…SS and punch

I thought Smoot was back on the board for a minute. I miss that guy.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #677
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I thought Smoot was back on the board for a minute. I miss that guy.
Miss that dude…yeah Sunnyside is the SS now

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:55 AM   #678
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Jeez you went straight for the name calling/personal insult post, didn’t see that coming. Dare I say, very Trump of you.

Honestly thought this was a G1 post at first…who is the only “real” conservative on this board
If you are not a Trumpster I apologize and since you think Trumpster is an insult that possibly indicates you aren't. So I am confused a bit as you defend him and seem to hold him in high esteem as Trumpsters would.

As for being a "real ' conservative - someone who supports Trump simply can't be a conservative. Trump wasn't a conservative so how can those who support him be? He is an isolationist, opposed to free trade, opposed legal immigration, opposed social security reform and spent like a drunk sailor. All those positions are anathema to conservatives (and at least 3 of them are dem positions).
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 11:14 AM   #679
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

All things Middle East related

The question you need to be asking yourself as a Trumper or Trump supporter or whatever the pc name is for you anti pc Trump folks (i know the irony is crazy ) is would Trump be sending troops back in and realizing his error like Biden is doing? Or would Trump simply be blaming Obama and doubling and tripling down on the withdraw while his supporters chanted America first fuck Afghanistan?
#rememberthekurds
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:23 PM   #680
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
You are right. My rant and raving was a bit much yesterday. Apologies to you…SS and punch
Thanks. My apologies to you too.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:24 PM   #681
SunnySide
Playmaker

President Biden made 3 points, among many, yesterday that i didnt consider.

1. Taliban was doing a "ceasefire" for the past year or so bc they were promised a May 1, 2021 withdrawl. So if we decided to stay and break our agreement .. it wouldnt have been under the ceasefire environment we saw the past year or so but an all out attack.

2. When he said "its not a foregone conclusion the Taliban would take over", that was a diplomatic response and requested by Afghanistan leaders as to avoid a "crisis of confidence". I think President Biden knew the Taliban would take over, not that quickly but he knew it was days not months.

3. They way the ANA and its generals folded and bribed away = proof of exactly why it was the right choice to get out.

----------------------------

When I came into office, I inherited a deal that President Trump negotiated with the Taliban. Under his agreement, U.S. forces would be out of Afghanistan by May 1, 2021 — just a little over three months after I took office.

U.S. forces had already drawn down during the Trump administration from roughly 15,500 American forces to 2,500 troops in country, and the Taliban was at its strongest militarily since 2001.

The choice I had to make, as your President, was either to follow through on that agreement or be prepared to go back to fighting the Taliban in the middle of the spring fighting season.

There would have been no ceasefire after May 1. There was no agreement protecting our forces after May 1. There was no status quo of stability without American casualties after May 1.

There was only the cold reality of either following through on the agreement to withdraw our forces or escalating the conflict and sending thousands more American troops back into combat in Afghanistan, lurching into the third decade of conflict.

I stand squarely behind my decision. After 20 years, I’ve learned the hard way that there was never a good time to withdraw U.S. forces.

That’s why we were still there. We were clear-eyed about the risks. We planned for every contingency.

But I always promised the American people that I will be straight with you. The truth is: This did unfold more quickly than we had anticipated.

So what’s happened? Afghanistan political leaders gave up and fled the country. The Afghan military collapsed, sometimes without trying to fight.

If anything, the developments of the past week reinforced that ending U.S. military involvement in Afghanistan now was the right decision.

American troops cannot and should not be fighting in a war and dying in a war that Afghan forces are not willing to fight for themselves. We spent over a trillion dollars. We trained and equipped an Afghan military force of some 300,000 strong — incredibly well equipped — a force larger in size than the militaries of many of our NATO allies.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...n-afghanistan/

Either recommit 20,000 plus troops to fight a strengthened Taliban (strengthened under Trumps watch) .. or get the hell out of there.

President Biden came out strong last night.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 06:54 PM   #682
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Definitely looking strong for sticking to his beliefs even in the face of a horrible atrocity.

I still think a better evacuation plan for our peoples and Afghanis that helped us was needed. We shouldn't have waited until the only land we held was Kabul's airport before prioritizing visas for these people. Should've been prioritizing visas for them earlier, I know he had other things that had to be done but they definitely had the foresight to know this could turn into the new Saigon.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:44 PM   #683
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Nailed it. I’m a conservative. Chico is an idiot.
BINGO , Johnny tell the man what he has won!!!
Old 08-18-2021, 08:52 AM   #684
MTK
\m/

Man, the images of people clinging to the C17 as it took off and some people falling off, seriously WTF

Human remains found in wheel well of C-17 military plane that departed from Kabul

Afghan man filmed himself trying to escape Kabul on side of C-17 during takeoff
Old 08-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #685
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
They won't fight to save their families and their own lives or their Country but they will jump on a moving cargo Jet?
Old 08-18-2021, 11:32 AM   #686
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Thanks for posting that Sunnyside. I may not agree w/ Biden on a lot of things but I stand w/ him 100 percent on this. He got this right. Way to go Joe.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 11:32 AM   #687
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
If you are not a Trumpster
).

Make no mistake ,he is.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:37 AM   #688
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
The question you need to be asking yourself as a Trumper or Trump supporter or whatever the pc name is for you anti pc Trump folks (i know the irony is crazy ) is would Trump be sending troops back in and realizing his error like Biden is doing? Or would Trump simply be blaming Obama and doubling and tripling down on the withdraw while his supporters chanted America first fuck Afghanistan?
#rememberthekurds
I just wish Trump would STFU and go away. He makes my skin crawl.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:40 AM   #689
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
They won't fight to save their families and their own lives or their Country but they will jump on a moving cargo Jet?
Straight up cowards.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #690
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Straight up cowards.
I want this to come out the right way. I wish no harm to the Afghans ,I feel for their plight and I am shocked at the photos coming out yet why are people mad now? We have been there for way over 20 years and the Army gave up and ran. We have suffered our own loss's and spent almost a trillion dollars and I ask when is enough enough? Two weeks ago no one was even thinking about this withdrawal and now it's the poor Afghans . A deal was stuck with the trump administration and Biden honor it for the safe guard for all had he not there would be more fighting . The Biden Administration screwed up the withdrawal but trump needs to keep his mouth shut ,it was his deal .