Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chase Young or Three First Round Picks?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #676
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: Chase Young or Three First Round Picks?

I'm getting tired of so many people here saying "Well, Chase is good but he isn't this and he isn't all-world" because it is all irrelevant in terms of DL play because a DL, much like an OL, is more than the sum of it's parts. We all know that Chase is a rare talent who is almost certain to cause problems for any offense but let's look at the whole DL with Chase. Just use your knowledge of what the current D-Linemen bring to the table and try to imagine this:

1. We're going to a four man line that will play an attacking, gap shooting style.
2. Forget about DE's dropping into coverage. They will be disruptors, sharks.

On passing downs:
3. Chase will play next to Matty Ice who is a sack master in his own right.
4. Sweat will play next to Jon Allen who can get after it, as well.
5. Matty will play between Chase and Allen.
6. Jon will play between Sweat and Matty.

On running downs:
7. We can play Da'Ron and Settle at DT and Matty and Jon at DE.

Depth:
8. We've got Settle and Kerrigan to use however Jack Del Rio decides.
9. Jack can rotate his DL's so that they are all fresh all day long.
10. Jack can use any combination of these players he can think of, effectively.

I haven't even mentioned run and pass blitzes by LB's or DB's.

Yes, indeed! With Chase just being Chase and not even all-world Chase and a new top-notch DC we are going to have a bad-ass DL.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #677
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

People forget our DC last season sucked. We had position coaches that had more experience and could of called better schemes JMO. We now have credible personnel holding down the DC spot. CY along with what we already have should take the front 4 alot better which should make the back 7 fast. HTTR.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:06 AM   #678
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
People forget our DC last season sucked. We had position coaches that had more experience and could of called better schemes JMO. We now have credible personnel holding down the DC spot. CY along with what we already have should take the front 4 alot better which should make the back 7 fast. HTTR.
I think the Redskins were last against the run and worst on 3rd down. You can't blame that all on Manusky.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:24 AM   #679
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I think the Redskins were last against the run and worst on 3rd down. You can't blame that all on Manusky.

You can't??

Why not?
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #680
MTK
\m/

I think Del Rio is going to show just how bad Manusky was
Old 04-20-2020, 02:09 PM   #681
SunnySide
Playmaker

I’d rather have a dominant front vs secondary .... but unless we upgrade talent in the secondary, I think it’s more likely than not Del Rio will have to compromise his ideal scheme to hide/protect the secondary.

If our d front can be top 10, that would be great but with a bottom 5 secondary ... I imagine o coordinators can exploit our weakness.

Del rio is inheriting perhaps the worst secondary unit on paper in the league.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:29 PM   #682
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I’d rather have a dominant front vs secondary .... but unless we upgrade talent in the secondary, I think it’s more likely than not Del Rio will have to compromise his ideal scheme to hide/protect the secondary.

If our d front can be top 10, that would be great but with a bottom 5 secondary ... I imagine o coordinators can exploit our weakness.

Del rio is inheriting perhaps the worst secondary unit on paper in the league.
Good pass rushing D lines save the @$$e$ of bad secondaries. But even good secondaries will break down with poor D lines that get no rush and give the QB all day.

Plus I think it’s easier to fill secondary weaknesses with talent than D line weaknesses with talent. Hard to come by dominant D linemen.

Rather have it this way than the other way.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #683
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

You can debate pass rush vs. pass coverage.

Why rush is more important is because those same players have a huge role in stopping the run game too. That's why the dline will always be 1st in my mind.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #684
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

As well as I've never saw a DB that can cover a WR. TE and/or RB for more than 7 seconds. JMO you gotta get to the QB.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #685
rocnrik
Playmaker

A pass rush can mask a so so secondary .. I’m not sure given enough time to sit in pocket th at even a good secondary can be successful.. If we go D there is no question that Young is the pick .. I’m sure that is what we are doing .. unless 😀
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #686
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I think Del Rio is going to show just how bad Manusky was

Manusky was terrible, which is why no one will give him a real NFL job this season. I see Chase Young as being important to this year’s defense, but remember he is still a rookie and is learning the NFL ropes.

The KEY CHANGE for defense is having Del Rio and RR run a 4-3, which better suits our players talents, PLUS far better leadership and defense schemes. Del Rio has taken defensive teams to the TOP FIVE and I think he will do it again HERE, although we are probably a year away from getting to those heights.

However, I think we will get to the top 10 in defense THIS Year. We will have a fierce rush, and we have backups like Kerrigan and Ionnadis to keep everyone super fresh.

I think that if we took last year’s defense and JUST brought in Del Rio, he would at least make that defense “average”, just with his playcalling, schemes, instruction, leadership, etc. Dumping Manusky and bringing in Del Rio is that important.

I think the addition of Del Rio, drafting Chase and that addition of Davis at S and Fuller at CB, plus maybe one or two draft picks/UDFA who can add depth or compete for a defensive spot will help to transform this squad. The defense will be a more complete and competitive unit than the offense in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:02 PM   #687
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Manusky was terrible, which is why no one will give him a real NFL job this season. I see Chase Young as being important to this year’s defense, but remember he is still a rookie and is learning the NFL ropes.

The KEY CHANGE for defense is having Del Rio and RR run a 4-3, which better suits our players talents, PLUS far better leadership and defense schemes. Del Rio has taken defensive teams to the TOP FIVE and I think he will do it again HERE, although we are probably a year away from getting to those heights.

However, I think we will get to the top 10 in defense THIS Year. We will have a fierce rush, and we have backups like Kerrigan and Ionnadis to keep everyone super fresh.

I think that if we took last year’s defense and JUST brought in Del Rio, he would at least make that defense “average”, just with his playcalling, schemes, instruction, leadership, etc. Dumping Manusky and bringing in Del Rio is that important.

I think the addition of Del Rio, drafting Chase and that addition of Davis at S and Fuller at CB, plus maybe one or two draft picks/UDFA who can add depth or compete for a defensive spot will help to transform this squad. The defense will be a more complete and competitive unit than the offense in 2020.

Do you (or anyone) see the possibility that someone like Jimmy Moreland takes a step forward in his sophomore campaign under new defensive leadership?

If we can have just one of our young secondary guys make that step up, it will go a long way to vaulting our defense into the top 10.

I'm hopeful this happens ... but I'm definitely a glass half full kinda guy.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #688
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post
Do you (or anyone) see the possibility that someone like Jimmy Moreland takes a step forward in his sophomore campaign under new defensive leadership?

If we can have just one of our young secondary guys make that step up, it will go a long way to vaulting our defense into the top 10.

Stroman or Moreland making a leap and we draft a solid secondary player, and I'll feel pretty damn good about the sedondary. Of course we won't know until they actually start practicing/playing and who knows when that starts happening.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:15 PM   #689
Warthog
The Starter

Chase Young or Three First Round Picks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post

I’m interested in seeing how good Sean Davis is a our S and whether Fuller can regain his mojo here. Davis was hurt all last year but if he can stay healthy he may work well with Collins.

I was disappointed with how the Dunbar situation was dealt with. Dunbar was on the last year of his contract but had no guarantee money. If Dunbar got hurt this season, he would not get paid. He saw many other Redskins get hurt in the last two years and he wanted to fix that. He certainly could have done it better then to ask, in the media, for a new contract or trade. Definitely immature. BUT he had an excellent 2019 season - bringing him to the top of the NFL in his position. Why didn’t Rivera show him the love by offering him the guaranteed money he wanted in a one year deal OR giving him a longer contract, also with the guaranteed money.
Instead, they just traded him for a FIFTH rounder. Our best CB, one of the best in the NFL, for a crap draft pick. Now we have a big hole at CB. RR certainly didn’t want a malcontent on the team, nor to give a long contract to a guy who he had not seen play. STILL, sometimes being a leader means convincing people of your vision, versus just ordering them around. Could they have worked harder to see if Dunbar would stay, while giving him some of the guaranteed money he wanted? Are the Redskins good enough to just cast off really good players who have a beef?

Can Moreland move up within the CB crew? Maybe - I’d like to see him progress. Can Fuller get back to the playing level he was at before the trade to KC? I think so. But I’d still feel better if we had Dunbar. I think that CB will be a weak point in the squad for this season. They may draft a low pick at CB for a project player. But CB probably will need new talent from the draft or FA in 2021.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"

Last edited by Warthog; 04-21-2020 at 12:25 AM.
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:44 PM   #690
rocnrik
Playmaker

You make some good points .. I look at Dunbar like Trent both went on record that they wanted out .. It would be great to Have Trent and Dunbar on the team but if they don’t wanna be here ..
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote