Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins trade for Alex Smith

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do you approve of the trade for Alex Smith?
Yes 50 58.14%
No 36 41.86%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #661
MTK
\m/

Re: Redskins Trade for Alex Smith

I think it’s safe to say the Chiefs have simply been the better team, if you swapped Cousins for Smith the last 3 years with everything else being the same I think the W/L records would be similar for both teams

Advertisements
Old 02-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #662
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Redskins trade for Alex Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
In the last 7 years Alex Smith is 69-31 as a starter, Lets see if Kirk will do that after he has started for 7 total years. I doubt it. The guy is a WINNER not a STAT guy
Did Alex do this in spite of the rest of the roster, or because of the rest of the roster? W-L has always been overrated, it takes 45 good efforts to earn a W on game day.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #663
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Did Alex do this in spite of the rest of the roster, or because of the rest of the roster? W-L has always been overrated, it takes 45 good efforts to earn a W on game day.
Sometimes the QB has to make the plays late in games to get the W, that is why the QB is such a coveted POS, Smith made those plays against us on MNF and he also made them against the Eagles early on in the season. Yeah u have to have help but Kirk had as much help as anyone in 2016, HE HAD to make a play and HE COULDN'T do it. Stats don't always show it all
Old 02-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #664
MTK
\m/

Smith isn’t a difference making QB. Neither is Cousins. Both can help you win, but they’re not going to be the sole reason for winning on a consistent basis like an Aaron Rodgers type. So it’s a little silly to compare wins and loses, that doesn’t tell the whole story either much like stats.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #665
rocnrik
Playmaker

If we had Smith for the last 4 years and Chiefs had Cousins what would have been different? My gut tells me we would have made playoffs at least 1 more time and Smith would have set some records also. With Djax ,PG ,healthy Reed we had a very good offense ..back then our D was very bad. we need upgrade in our WR's and a big time RB and our O will be fine. when kirk signs that mega contract and we compare it to what we pay Smith and see what we can do with the difference it will start being very clear that this was our only choice.
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #666
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Smith isn’t a difference making QB. Neither is Cousins. Both can help you win, but they’re not going to be the sole reason for winning on a consistent basis like an Aaron Rodgers type. So it’s a little silly to compare wins and loses, that doesn’t tell the whole story either much like stats.
I'm not saying he's lightyears better than Kirk, I love Kirk and wanted him back, all i'm sayings is the big numbers don't always mean everything. I'm happy with Smith for 3 years, maybe 4 if he can stay healthy at age 37. Also he's never talked about and I believe its because he was selected 1 over Arod, if Smith was drafted at Rodgers spot he would have been a steal.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #667
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Sometimes the QB has to make the plays late in games to get the W, that is why the QB is such a coveted POS, Smith made those plays against us on MNF and he also made them against the Eagles early on in the season. Yeah u have to have help but Kirk had as much help as anyone in 2016, HE HAD to make a play and HE COULDN'T do it. Stats don't always show it all
Counterpoint, Kirk led us to the greatest comeback in Redskins history in 2015 against the Bucs. Down 24-3 before the half, not only did he methodically erase the deficit, he led us to the game winning touchdown with one last drive under 2 minutes in the fourth quarter. That was 1 of his 10+ game winning drives in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter or OT. So you can have your "didn't get it done in the final game of the season" and I'll take the overall body of work.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #668
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Counterpoint, Kirk led us to the greatest comeback in Redskins history in 2015 against the Bucs. Down 24-3 before the half, not only did he methodically erase the deficit, he led us to the game winning touchdown with one last drive under 2 minutes in the fourth quarter. That was 1 of his 10+ game winning drives in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter or OT. So you can have your "didn't get it done in the final game of the season" and I'll take the overall body of work.
Alex has the body of work, he has playoff wins.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #669
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Alex has the body of work, he has playoff wins.
You are correct, he has 2 playoff wins. One against the Saints in a shoot-em-out game 6 years ago while he was with the 49ers, and another with average stats in a game where the Chiefs blew out the Brian Hoyer-led Texans 30-0 on the strength of Hoyer's 4 interceptions.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #670
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Kirk's big weakness is when the pocket collapses he caves and eats the sack, Alex moves out of trouble and gets yards. That will be huge
I am not sure I agree. Over the last three years AS has been sacked more times than KC despite KC have more pass attempts. KCs worst year in sack % is last year at 7.1% per dropback is still lower than AS career average of 7.8%. I cannot speak completely for the 49ers/Chiefs o-line for his career or the chiefs for the last three years. I do not the skins pass pro is pretty good so I do imagine that has something to do with it. I do like where it has headed the last two years with AS however. If he can keep it around 6% I would be happy.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:57 PM   #671
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I am not sure I agree. Over the last three years AS has been sacked more times than KC despite KC have more pass attempts. KCs worst year in sack % is last year at 7.1% per dropback is still lower than AS career average of 7.8%. I cannot speak completely for the 49ers/Chiefs o-line for his career or the chiefs for the last three years. I do not the skins pass pro is pretty good so I do imagine that has something to do with it. I do like where it has headed the last two years with AS however. If he can keep it around 6% I would be happy.

Kirk also didnt play von Miller twice alot of these years lol, ok.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #672
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Joe Flacco’s last three years: 20-22, 52 touchdowns, 40 picks. Meh.

Since getting that pay day
Old 02-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #673
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Our D gave away several games in 2016. You might be cherry picking just a little.

If I was going to cherry pick in favor of Kirk, how about the throw against all out blitz to Doctson in Seattle this year. He had to make a play and absolutely came through.

I get what your saying and agree that Smith is probably better off schedule, he has way more game and situational experience as well. I disagree in that I don't think it is that black and white.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #674
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
Our D gave away several games in 2016. You might be cherry picking just a little.

If I was going to cherry pick in favor of Kirk, how about the throw against all out blitz to Doctson in Seattle this year. He had to make a play and absolutely came through.

I get what your saying and agree that Smith is probably better off schedule, he has way more game and situational experience as well. I disagree in that I don't think it is that black and white.
The Seattle game was a great performance by Kirk without numbers, he was clutch. He's a good QB but he often seems lost back there and just takes the sacks.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:04 PM   #675
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Was watching NFL Live earlier, and Louis Riddick & Bill Polian said we did an excellent job getting AS. Riddick said we definitely upgraded at QB.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote