Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Coronavirus (non political)

Parking Lot

Old 07-14-2020, 12:50 PM   #661
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Coronavirus (non political)

Although COVID-19 transmission rates nationwide among children have appeared to remain relatively low, more than 300 children at Texas child care centers have tested positive, and the numbers are rising quickly.

As of Tuesday, there were 950 reported positive cases of COVID-19 — 307 children and 643 staff members — at 668 child care locations. Statewide, 12,207 licensed child care operations are open, and total reported coronavirus cases have risen from 59 cases in mid-May and 576 on June 23.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07...-cases-rising/

---------------

My neighbor and I talked about this yesterday. They are not sending their incoming HS sophmore back until there is a vaccine. I told her I am going to wait to see what August looks like before I really decide.

I really dont know what to do. Good thing is I have about 45 days until a decision has to be made. But if schools dont open ... impossible for parents to get a normal schedule going. More work from home, spending 3 hours a day helping the 8 year old do online learning.

MD just reported 733 new cases in one day. The most since early June. So the numbers are going the wrong. Hopefully its just a bubble from the protests/4th of July and the numbers go back down in a few weeks. But that requires masks and social distancing.

Advertisements
Old 07-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #662
Giantone
Gamebreaker

The more testing become available the better the chances of the numbers going up we all knew that . My question is when the child is at school how will you know if they get sick it's corona? The first two months of any school year kids get the sickest ..being flu , colds or allergies, etc.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:42 PM   #663
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Just got done watching Governor Northam here regarding VA.

Hampton Roads area is getting bad case wise, but the rest of the state is actually trending down and doing very well. So he is going to make tougher enforcement and rules regarding Hampton Roads area / beaches, etc.. They are not moving them back to Phase 1 or 2 like was suggested.

He also said regarding school that he was going to leave it up to the individual school districts to decide on whether or not to resume classes in the fall, or make the decision to go to all-online.

Overall VA is doing well and has been avoiding so far the large spikes seen in California, Florida, and TX.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:13 PM   #664
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/moderna...al-testing-us/

Moderna's coronavirus vaccine ready to advance to final phase of testing

Wow great news. Big-league

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #665
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/moderna...al-testing-us/

Moderna's coronavirus vaccine ready to advance to final phase of testing

Wow great news. Big-league
Please lord let this work I need some normal life back already
Old 07-15-2020, 08:47 AM   #666
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
It’s been a shitty fuckin summer...the country could use some good news.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:19 AM   #667
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
amen but two questions

.............1) How much will it cost?

..............2) can they produce enough for everyone?
Old 07-15-2020, 10:45 AM   #668
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
amen but two questions

.............1) How much will it cost?

..............2) can they produce enough for everyone?
One more question - is it safe? The fact that a lot of pharmaceuticals are going at it really fast makes me nervous. I spent a good time researching on pharmaceutical system (for my MBA and my entertainment) in the last 2 years and one of the most common things I have read is the lengthy progress of developing a drug or vaccine, it takes time to verify its efficacy and side effects. It seems like we are skipping some of the steps in the process of developing although I must admit I haven't kept up with the COVID vaccine developments lately. I know a few companies developed AI system where it will help scientists to figure out efficacy and side effects much faster than usual however the AI system is still in infant stage. I probably would wait until 2nd or 3rd round of vaccines, unless the company who develops the vaccine is able to show its efficacy and little to no side effects (or at least not significant).

To give you guys an analogy, we all know it takes months to build a brand new house. All of sudden, a random reason comes up that forces America to build brand new house within a week. In that case, we all know the quality of the house is likely to not be good as the house that builders had adequate time to build.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #669
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Something to brighten the day!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...sons-optimism/
Old 07-15-2020, 02:57 PM   #670
SunnySide
Playmaker

The data hospitals collect on coronavirus patients will now be rerouted to the Trump administration instead of first being sent to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, according to reports.

Starting Wednesday, hospitals have been instructed to bypass the CDC and send daily patient information directly to a central database operated by the Department of Health and Human Services in Washington, D.C.

In an op-ed published Tuesday in the Washington Post, four former CDC directors – who served during both Republican and Democratic administrations – accused President Trump and top coronavirus task force officials of politicizing scientific data released by the national public health institute.

"We cannot recall over our collective tenure a single time when political pressure led to a change in the interpretation of scientific evidence," they wrote, claiming public health experts now "face two opponents: covid-19, but also political leaders and others attempting to undermine" the CDC.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/hospital-...human-services

I saw this rumored but wanted to wait to see if it was true.

I will keep my political commentary to "wow" and "surprised they didnt wait until Friday afternoon to release"
Old 07-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #671
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
One more question - is it safe? The fact that a lot of pharmaceuticals are going at it really fast makes me nervous. I spent a good time researching on pharmaceutical system (for my MBA and my entertainment) in the last 2 years and one of the most common things I have read is the lengthy progress of developing a drug or vaccine, it takes time to verify its efficacy and side effects. It seems like we are skipping some of the steps in the process of developing although I must admit I haven't kept up with the COVID vaccine developments lately. I know a few companies developed AI system where it will help scientists to figure out efficacy and side effects much faster than usual however the AI system is still in infant stage. I probably would wait until 2nd or 3rd round of vaccines, unless the company who develops the vaccine is able to show its efficacy and little to no side effects (or at least not significant).

To give you guys an analogy, we all know it takes months to build a brand new house. All of sudden, a random reason comes up that forces America to build brand new house within a week. In that case, we all know the quality of the house is likely to not be good as the house that builders had adequate time to build.
I too have done lots of research on the subject. Trying to keep stuff in layman's terms here as much as possible, the "fast track" status that these vaccines are getting doesn't mean they are side-stepping patient safety or testing data. The "fast-track" refers to bypassing all of the red tape / legal mumbo jumbo. Dr. Fauci has said several times that the vaccines that the NIH are partnering with to have developed will not in any way undermine the quality of research or patient health & safety.

There are 4 vaccines that are going to start being produced in mass by the end of next month. 2 of them will have already began phase 3 trials by then. The idea is that when the Phase 3 trials are over, they will hopefully gain FDA approval shortly thereafter and with the gov't already having around 100 million doses by that point, they will begin to go out by December to the most at-risk / vulnerable people - think frontline workers, police, nurses, etc...

The rest of us / the average Joe, will be able to get them hopefully by January / February of 2021. I believe it said that by the end of 2021, Each company that is producing vaccines will have around 300 million doses of each...
Old 07-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #672
SunnySide
Playmaker

Texas reported an all-time high of single-day deaths Thursday with 129 people dead, bringing the total to 3,561. The state recorded 10,291 new cases of the virus, bringing the total to 292,656.

Reuters reported that San Antonio and Bexar County each received five refrigerated trailers to store up to 180 bodies as some hospital morgues and funeral homes have reached capacity.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-ari...navirus-deaths
Old 07-17-2020, 02:43 PM   #673
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Things you miss that you took for granted?

I use to go to Target and/or Ralphs (grocery store) every week. Have not been to either one since I believe February but definitely not since March.

Now I go to a Smart and Final off the beaten path. It's a big store and never seems to have more than 15-20 people in it so everyone has their own space.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #674
MTK
\m/

I really miss live music and bar hopping. Day drinking is the best. Home and in bed early, help minimize the hangover.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:43 PM   #675
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
I really miss live music and bar hopping. Day drinking is the best. Home and in bed early, help minimize the hangover.
If you're 35+ you shouldn't even be allowed to drink past 10 p.m. Day drinking is far superior. And the older you get the more true it gets. Night drinking leads to the next day being wasted for me.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote