Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #646
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Our next coach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Just one possibility, but i'll lay out my thinking if it were to play out -

If none of Snyder's "A-list" coaches want to come here, and Snyder retains Cerrato, he's going to have two big problems - 1) Forming a "B-list" and selecting a HC from there, 2) maintaining some sense of continuity so we're not starting over with an unknown (like Zorn); and 3) appeasing a fanbase that will be in full-on revolt mold.

Given that he's the guy the fans wanted in the first place and that he's a defensive-minded head coach who runs the same system we still use, hiring Williams would effectively solve problems 2 and 3. Williams would keep the offensive and defensive systems pretty much in place. Blache would undoubtably "retire," which would also please a great number of fans. Jerry Gray would be promoted to DC, with Sherm Lewis, Chris Meidt, or some other experienced WCO guy taking over the offense. In 2010, the team could pick up right where it left off and would be more in a position to have immediate succcess, as opposed to rebuilding from the ground up, as would be the case with most other hires.

Based on my understanding, Snyder and Williams both really like - and respect - eachother. The only obstacle which would prevent Williams from returning would be Cerrato, as he and williams dont like eachother. Well, Cerrato would understand that while he survived this particular offseason - he's still on an incredibly short leash. having immediate success with a new HC would be job security for him. From Williams perspective, he really liked it here in his 1st stint; he's familiar with the majority of the players; and i'm sure he'd rather be a HC here than a coordinator elsewhere. So it would make sense for everyone involved.

I'm not saying its the most likely scenario to occur, but thats how i could imagine it occuring, since you asked.
Just one point here regarding familiarity with the majority of the players. Williams never coached Orakpo, Moore, Horton, Jarmon, Barnes, Hall, Thomas, Kelly, Davis, etc. All I'm saying is come next year most of this team could be nothing like what it was when Williams left

Advertisements
Old 12-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #647
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
The problem wouldn't so much be paying Shanahan. It would be paying Shanahan and Lovie Smith, who would still be under contract and due something like $5 million over each of the next two years
It would be a big obstacle, indeed. The Bears took a huge gamble in trading for Cutler. The question now is whether or not they're willing to go "all in" and build around him or accept they made a mistake and live with it. I dont see Cutler getting any better under Turner and I don't see a Weiss and Cutler marriage working out at all.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #648
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
My head hurts from all the wild speculation going on up in here.
I've heard SGG has to be admin for an NHL fansite but he's waiting to see if you'll can Gmanc and give him full control over sig rules and font sizes? What do you have to say about that
Old 12-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #649
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Just one point here regarding familiarity with the majority of the players. Williams never coached Orakpo, Moore, Horton, Jarmon, Barnes, Hall, Thomas, Kelly, Davis, etc. All I'm saying is come next year most of this team could be nothing like what it was when Williams left
I was mainly thinking about the defensive players. Though we've had some turnover there, Williams is familiar with many of them. And considering Blache is one of his disciples, its logical to assume that Williams would be fairly happy with the 2009 and 2009 defensive draft picks we have on the roster... especialy now that we have a defensive line. He also is responsible for hiring almost all of our defensive coaches, so assembling a staff wouldn't be very difficult.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #650
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I've heard SGG has to be admin for an NHL fansite but he's waiting to see if you'll can Gmanc and give him full control over sig rules and font sizes? What do you have to say about that
lol exactly
Old 12-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #651
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
lol exactly
Are you going to admit that you flew out to Cincinnati to speak to one of the moderators of a Bengals fan site to see if he'd sign with TheWarpath.net?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #652
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Are you going to admit that you flew out to Cincinnati to speak to one of the moderators of a Bengals fan site to see if he'd sign with TheWarpath.net?
That was just a smokescreen, I'm really looking at a moderator on a Notre Dame site. And I'm not flying, I'm taking a limo. A limo that I heard Tiger Woods rented once.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #653
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Quote:
I was mainly thinking about the defensive players. Though we've had some turnover there, Williams is familiar with many of them. And considering Blache is one of his disciples, its logical to assume that Williams would be fairly happy with the 2009 and 2009 defensive draft picks we have on the roster... especialy now that we have a defensive line. He also is responsible for hiring almost all of our defensive coaches, so assembling a staff wouldn't be very difficult.
GW is not gonna be here, our performance agianst his defense last week closed that book for me. Promoting Jerry Grey to HC, maybe...

I disagree Charlie Weiss couldn't work with Jay Cutler. The problem with the Bears is they have no wideouts. Weiss has already exspressed interest in going there. It's really a no brainer.

Shannahan here is a foregone conclusion. Too much money man! Why go anywhere else if you get 10 mil more here?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #654
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
That was just a smokescreen, I'm really looking at a moderator on a Notre Dame site. And I'm not flying, I'm taking a limo. A limo that I heard Tiger Woods rented once.
You'll be alright if one of the hot girls comes with the limo.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #655
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
If I were a mod, i'd change your sig to say "dreamkiller."

Doesn't surprise me though. I just hope Dallas doesn't get him. We'd be at the bottom of the division for the next decade.
I didn't mean to ruin any hopes. I have my list of names

Marty
Cowher
Gruden
Shanahan

Then the long list of others
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #656
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I didn't mean to ruin any hopes. I have my list of names

Marty
Cowher
Gruden
Shanahan

Then the long list of others
I'll ruin your hopes, you can cross off the first 3 right now
Old 12-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #657
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
You'll be alright if one of the hot girls comes with the limo.
other then the first one to come forward, the rest look like a bunch of pigs
Old 12-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #658
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
charlie weiss will go to chicago to be the Ocoodinator, they will keep their head coach.
Weis is going somewhere that has the opportunity to draft Clausen (Buffalo?) so he can be successful faster. If a college coach is going to Chicago as the OC it will be Jeremy Bates.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #659
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
other then the first one to come forward, the rest look like a bunch of pigs
a total skank parade
Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #660
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
a total skank parade
Apparently Tiger has an alcohol problem as well?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote