Fresh Start Political Thread

Debating with the enemy

Old 08-10-2021, 01:51 PM   #646
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Fresh Start Political Thread

Can you show links on this part of your post
Quote:
Right now we have the ability to provide all our electrical needs from photovoltaic and wind during daytime and use nuclear and natural gas at night regardless of battery storage.
I highly doubt that is true. The amount of energy lost in transmitting generated electricity a huge issue that is being worked on by scientists across the globe.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-10-2021, 01:53 PM   #647
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I also cringe at using nonrenewable resources for single use purposes it just seems so illogical to me.
Not to sound like a pruis driving portland librarian ... but single use plastic kills me. Think of all the single use plastic just within 5 feet of you right now.

Biodegradable should be the goal asap imo.

SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:56 PM   #648
JackLord
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
When did this Country stop being innovative and groundbreaking?

We gave the world the lightbulb, the internet, plastic, dental floss, landed on the moon.

But when it comes to energy its "naw were good with circa 1800 energy sources like fucking coal. Lets not try and come up with better cleaner energy sources."

I feel like this is part of Idiocracy where all the top scientist minds are busy increasing penis sizes and not solving the worlds real problems.

God forbid the US society tries to move on from the 1950s.
Look on the bright side. There is more alternative fuel use than ever. Solar, wind, battery operated vehicles, etc. It was not too long ago that it was the stuff of science fiction and wishful thinking. Now it has debuted and is being used.

Sure, it is all still in the embryonic stage, but it is moving forward. As innovation- yes it is present- increases, so will the bang for the buck.

The analogy I like to use is the CD Player. When it first rolled into stores, it was a high end luxury item. Soon enough, it became affordable and the medium of choice. Now it has been surpassed and survives largely as a niche product, available anywhere including thrift stores.

So it will be with alternative fuels. But it does take time.
JackLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #649
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLord View Post
Look on the bright side. There is more alternative fuel use than ever. Solar, wind, battery operated vehicles, etc. It was not too long ago that it was the stuff of science fiction and wishful thinking. Now it has debuted and is being used.

Sure, it is all still in the embryonic stage, but it is moving forward. As innovation- yes it is present- increases, so will the bang for the buck.

The analogy I like to use is the CD Player. When it first rolled into stores, it was a high end luxury item. Soon enough, it became affordable and the medium of choice. Now it has been surpassed and survives largely as a niche product, available anywhere including thrift stores.

So it will be with alternative fuels. But it does take time.
I think youre right, thanks for the positive affirmation .. the train is moving down the tracks, gaining momentum.

im not a big environmental guy, dont drive an electric car etc. I like nature, loved fishing as a kid, grew up on the potomac river, follow the no trail no trace motto ... but this world is getting bad quick.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:17 PM   #650
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Cred here you go:
https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/arti...k#!divAbstract

It is not just we can start putting up photovoltaics and boom we would need to bring our electrical grid into the 21st century something we don't have the political will power to do.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:20 PM   #651
JackLord
Special Teams

Quote:
I think youre right, thanks for the positive affirmation .. the train is moving down the tracks, gaining momentum.

im not a big environmental guy, dont drive an electric car etc. I like nature, loved fishing as a kid, grew up on the potomac river, follow the no trail no trace motto ... but this world is getting bad quick.
In some ways. In other ways it is much improved.

Our beloved Potomac(I fish too), for example, is much cleaner than it was when I was a kid.

And how much has population been a variable? Here in MoCO, they freak out every time there is a flood. Somehow they seem to forget that the county has had double digit population growth nearly every decade. More people mean more houses, more roads, more concrete. The water has nowhere to go.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:52 PM   #652
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Cred here you go:

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/arti...k#!divAbstract

It is not just we can start putting up photovoltaics and boom we would need to bring our electrical grid into the 21st century something we don't have the political will power to do.
From the abstract
Quote:
However, to reliably meet 100% of total annual electricity demand, seasonal cycles and unpredictable weather events require several weeks’ worth of energy storage and/or the installation of much more capacity of solar and wind power than is routinely necessary to meet peak demand
It goes on to talk about meeting 80%demand and also the issues around transmission.

The bottomline is that it is unrealistic to think solar/wind can consistently and reliably provide the energy needs of this country. There isn't even a path to that point, and there definitely isn't the political will or financial means to make it happen. Nor is it a responsible thing to do when there are better, more effective and far cheaper ways to meet the demand.

There are motives behind the scare tactics of eco-green proponents that have little to nothing to do with the global climate and everything to do with intruding government into the daily person's life.

As I said, take away the private jets and make people conserve in flights would do more for the climate than all the wind towers in Kansas (and there are a lot of them)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:18 PM   #653
MTK
\m/

Let's not forget the fossil fuels lobby has tremendous influence around the world and they spend a ton of $$ to make sure we stay hooked on them.

Might as well burn them while we got them
Old 08-10-2021, 05:03 PM   #654
JackLord
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Let's not forget the fossil fuels lobby has tremendous influence around the world and they spend a ton of $$ to make sure we stay hooked on them.

More likely it is that fossil fuels still give us the best bang for the buck. When alternatives become more economically viable (see my CD Player example above) then the consumer (that's you and me) will not only embrace alternatives, but also demand them. And that demand will be met.

In the long run, you cannot stop the Market.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:50 PM   #655
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

Very worthy:

Exxon's senior director for federal relations was caught on tape talking about Exxon's private strategy for dealing with climate change.

And yet I suspect nothing will happen.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:02 PM   #656
JackLord
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Very worthy:

Exxon's senior director for federal relations was caught on tape talking about Exxon's private strategy for dealing with climate change.

And yet I suspect nothing will happen.

If history has shown us anything, the tide of technological change cannot be stopped.

When Solar Power, for example, becomes economically viable, nothing will stop it from becoming widespread. Exxon can either jump on the bandwagon or get out of the way.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:12 PM   #657
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Cred it would have been realistic if we would have county to develop and invest in infrastructure. I also don’t see how improving building codes using federal funds to develop city and state owned systems is any more infringing than what the government has done to push coal. How much more tax dollars are you willing to spend to keep that industry a float?
Old 08-11-2021, 08:38 AM   #658
JackLord
Special Teams

Quote:
Cred it would have been realistic if we would have county to develop and invest in infrastructure. I also don’t see how improving building codes using federal funds to develop city and state owned systems is any more infringing than what the government has done to push coal. How much more tax dollars are you willing to spend to keep that industry a float?
Considering a good many of those miners vote and their Senator is the de facto swing vote, I reckon a lot.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:30 AM   #659
SunnySide
Playmaker

Former President Donald Trump may still wield the most political power over the Republican Party, but Mitch McConnell remains master of the Senate GOP.

Despite repeated calls by Trump to oppose the bipartisan infrastructure package, McConnell largely ignored -- and ultimately defied -- the former president by voting for final passage on Tuesday and delivering 18 other Republicans with him.

The final vote for $550 billion in new spending for roads, bridges, waterways, airports and broadband internet was 69-30. It is a rarity in Washington -- a genuinely significant bipartisan achievement for both parties and President Joe Biden, who anchored his run for the White House on his ability to bring people together.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/aye-vote-...180202820.html

A bi-partisan bill being passed?

When was the last time this happened?

Mark Levin wants the 18 republicans tried for treason ... I used to halfway like that guy.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:34 AM   #660
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Former President Donald Trump may still wield the most political power over the Republican Party, but Mitch McConnell remains master of the Senate GOP.

Despite repeated calls by Trump to oppose the bipartisan infrastructure package, McConnell largely ignored -- and ultimately defied -- the former president by voting for final passage on Tuesday and delivering 18 other Republicans with him.

The final vote for $550 billion in new spending for roads, bridges, waterways, airports and broadband internet was 69-30. It is a rarity in Washington -- a genuinely significant bipartisan achievement for both parties and President Joe Biden, who anchored his run for the White House on his ability to bring people together.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/aye-vote-...180202820.html

A bi-partisan bill being passed?

When was the last time this happened?

Mark Levin wants the 18 republicans tried for treason ... I used to halfway like that guy.
There were alot of corporate handouts in that bill. That is the only way we will ever get a bipartisan bill. The corporate dems have to keep their overlords happy. Sorry I am a bit jaded because I wanted the 3.9 bill passed first help real Americans and not corps but the infrastructure is good. Yea! Welcome to the the year 2021 USA you're the last developed country here.