Our next coach??

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #631
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Re: Our next coach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Another month long search? How do you see that playing out? Let's assume the Colts and Saints make it to the SB? Is there an assistant you see Snyder waiting out like he did with Spags?
Well, there's a couple reasons I think it will take a while. First and foremost is Dallas. All of the HCs that Snyder would be interested in will want to wait and see whether or not Jones fires the pillsbury dough boy whenever the cowboys season ends. These coaches may not necessarily be interested in the job, but they'll atleast want to feign interest to leverage more money, power, etc. in their negotations with other teams. If Dallas somehow misses the playoffs and Wade is fired right after the season ends, then I can see things progressing much more quickly.

Secondly, due to a number of factors, I think its unlikely that Snyder will be able to secure any of his top choices to be our next coach. Given the recent performance of the 2008 draft class, the continued improvement Orakpo and Barnes, and the overall improvement of the offense since Sherman Lewis was brought in, I think Snyder keeps Cerrato around. And while this will upset most fans, Cerrato appears to have done a pretty good job running the show (atleast by the standards we're used to around here). With Cerrato arround, none of the premier guys will want to come here. Secondly, I really don't think this job is as attractive to many HCs as some of us fans would think. If there was any HC out there who would view washington as an ideal job, it was Jon Gruden. Knowing full well the job would become available, he signed an extension with ESPN. Shanahan's rebuffed Snyder several times, and despite all the reports, I just cant envision him here. I really think he ends up in Chicago with Cutler. Cowher would be my favorite to land the job, but I know i'm just dreaming there. He's coaching in Carolina or Cleaveland. By all reports, Holmgren just wants a front office job, and his comments about how the organization's treated Zorn make it apparent he's not coming here. So, with all of those guys essentially out of the picture (in my view), who's left? No one, really. If Jeff Fisher's fired in Tennessee, I could see Snyder bringing him in, but otherwise, i forsee a long, drawn-out coaching search, much like the one we had after Gibbs stepped down.

In the end, I think our head coach will be Gregg Williams, Jerry Gray, Charlie Weiss, Jim Fassel, Mooch, or a coordinator from one of the Superbowl teams.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #632
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
If Shanahan is the guy why would they wait?
Because I don't think Shanahan's the guy. If any of the rumors we've been hearing are true, I think Shanahan's really just playing along with Snyder to help him get more money or control in another job. Houston would make the most sense, but my gut tells me he winds up in Chicago... although i think Dallas is a likely destination as well.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #633
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
McNair is known as a very good owner to work for.. Rabid fan base, good talent base, the opportunity to really BE the face of the franchise's success. In Pittsburgh, Cowher's legacy will always be in the shadow of Rooney and Noll. If he succeeds in Houston he will be a God there.
I get why the job itself could be viewed as attractive, but i just can't see Cowher going there. It just doesn't seem like the right "fit" to me. Warm weather, retractable roof... i dont know what it is. I just cant see it.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #634
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

I dissagree. I think Snyder has been doing his search since week 2. He will formally interview the minority candidate and then name Shannahan to the position. He will pay more than any other owner to get Mike. Shannahan will get the president HC role that he covets, Vinny will stay as VP and Snyder is owner/tool. Why go somewhere else when:
Top 5 defense with best defensive lineman in football
Total control of team
An owner that will buy any player you want
an Owner that will pay you more than anyone else
Once the offensive line is rebuilt, you have a very talented team.
Big market team

When you look at the advantages vs. disadvantages I pick this team 9 times out of 10 and so will Shanny.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #635
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

It will cost Chicago a lot of money to bring in Shanahan
Old 12-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #636
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Well, there's a couple reasons I think it will take a while. First and foremost is Dallas. All of the HCs that Snyder would be interested in will want to wait and see whether or not Jones fires the pillsbury dough boy whenever the cowboys season ends. These coaches may not necessarily be interested in the job, but they'll atleast want to feign interest to leverage more money, power, etc. in their negotations with other teams. If Dallas somehow misses the playoffs and Wade is fired right after the season ends, then I can see things progressing much more quickly.

Secondly, due to a number of factors, I think its unlikely that Snyder will be able to secure any of his top choices to be our next coach. Given the recent performance of the 2008 draft class, the continued improvement Orakpo and Barnes, and the overall improvement of the offense since Sherman Lewis was brought in, I think Snyder keeps Cerrato around. And while this will upset most fans, Cerrato appears to have done a pretty good job running the show (atleast by the standards we're used to around here). With Cerrato arround, none of the premier guys will want to come here. Secondly, I really don't think this job is as attractive to many HCs as some of us fans would think. If there was any HC out there who would view washington as an ideal job, it was Jon Gruden. Knowing full well the job would become available, he signed an extension with ESPN. Shanahan's rebuffed Snyder several times, and despite all the reports, I just cant envision him here. I really think he ends up in Chicago with Cutler. Cowher would be my favorite to land the job, but I know i'm just dreaming there. He's coaching in Carolina or Cleaveland. By all reports, Holmgren just wants a front office job, and his comments about how the organization's treated Zorn make it apparent he's not coming here. So, with all of those guys essentially out of the picture (in my view), who's left? No one, really. If Jeff Fisher's fired in Tennessee, I could see Snyder bringing him in, but otherwise, i forsee a long, drawn-out coaching search, much like the one we had after Gibbs stepped down.

In the end, I think our head coach will be Gregg Williams, Jerry Gray, Charlie Weiss, Jim Fassel, Mooch, or a coordinator from one of the Superbowl teams.
How do you figure BHA? :confused:
Old 12-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #637
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Cowher, who resides in North Carolina, is largely expected to be wooed by the Panthers should they opt not to bring back John Fox for the final season on his deal. The Texans and Bears would excite Cowher as well, according to a source, should they opt to make a move.

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Bills contact Cowher about head-coaching job «
Old 12-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #638
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

charlie weiss will go to chicago to be the Ocoodinator, they will keep their head coach.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #639
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
How do you figure BHA? :confused:
Just one possibility, but i'll lay out my thinking if it were to play out -

If none of Snyder's "A-list" coaches want to come here, and Snyder retains Cerrato, he's going to have two big problems - 1) Forming a "B-list" and selecting a HC from there, 2) maintaining some sense of continuity so we're not starting over with an unknown (like Zorn); and 3) appeasing a fanbase that will be in full-on revolt mold.

Given that he's the guy the fans wanted in the first place and that he's a defensive-minded head coach who runs the same system we still use, hiring Williams would effectively solve problems 2 and 3. Williams would keep the offensive and defensive systems pretty much in place. Blache would undoubtably "retire," which would also please a great number of fans. Jerry Gray would be promoted to DC, with Sherm Lewis, Chris Meidt, or some other experienced WCO guy taking over the offense. In 2010, the team could pick up right where it left off and would be more in a position to have immediate succcess, as opposed to rebuilding from the ground up, as would be the case with most other hires.

Based on my understanding, Snyder and Williams both really like - and respect - eachother. The only obstacle which would prevent Williams from returning would be Cerrato, as he and williams dont like eachother. Well, Cerrato would understand that while he survived this particular offseason - he's still on an incredibly short leash. having immediate success with a new HC would be job security for him. From Williams perspective, he really liked it here in his 1st stint; he's familiar with the majority of the players; and i'm sure he'd rather be a HC here than a coordinator elsewhere. So it would make sense for everyone involved.

I'm not saying its the most likely scenario to occur, but thats how i could imagine it occuring, since you asked.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #640
SBXVII
Franchise Player

On sports talk ESPN 980am/94.3fm on the Sports Fix Kevin Sheehan was speaking with someone asking what was going on around the wire and whoever it was finally got around to talking about Cowher. Basically said he spoke with a close friend of Cowher and according to them...Cowher has said "he has no interest in working for Snyder."
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #641
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Just one possibility, but i'll lay out my thinking if it were to play out -

If none of Snyder's "A-list" coaches want to come here, and Snyder retains Cerrato, he's going to have two big problems - 1) Forming a "B-list" and selecting a HC from there, 2) maintaining some sense of continuity so we're not starting over with an unknown (like Zorn); and 3) appeasing a fanbase that will be in full-on revolt mold.

Given that he's the guy the fans wanted in the first place and that he's a defensive-minded head coach who runs the same system we still use, hiring Williams would effectively solve problems 2 and 3. Williams would keep the offensive and defensive systems pretty much in place. Blache would undoubtably "retire," which would also please a great number of fans. Jerry Gray would be promoted to DC, with Sherm Lewis, Chris Meidt, or some other experienced WCO guy taking over the offense. In 2010, the team could pick up right where it left off and would be more in a position to have immediate succcess, as opposed to rebuilding from the ground up, as would be the case with most other hires.

Based on my understanding, Snyder and Williams both really like - and respect - eachother. The only obstacle which would prevent Williams from returning would be Cerrato, as he and williams dont like eachother. Well, Cerrato would understand that while he survived this particular offseason - he's still on an incredibly short leash. having immediate success with a new HC would be job security for him. From Williams perspective, he really liked it here in his 1st stint; he's familiar with the majority of the players; and i'm sure he'd rather be a HC here than a coordinator elsewhere. So it would make sense for everyone involved.

I'm not saying its the most likely scenario to occur, but thats how i could imagine it occuring, since you asked.
That sounds good to me. That only means it will not happen.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #642
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
charlie weiss will go to chicago to be the Ocoodinator, they will keep their head coach.
The bears have also had horrible offenses under Lovie Smith and their defense has been regressing. The bears also made a very significant investment in Cutler (both in terms of dollars and the players and picks they traded to denver to get him) and they need to ensure that that investment pays dividends. Shanahan could get the most out of Cutler and build the appropriate offense around him. I don't think the Bears would fire Lovie without already having a secret agreement in place with Shanahan, but its extremely possible. The biggest obstacle to a deal being done would be Shanahan's contract. The Bears are pretty frugal and I don't know if they'd be willing to pay Shanahan what he'd demand.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #643
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
On sports talk ESPN 980am/94.3fm on the Sports Fix Kevin Sheehan was speaking with someone asking what was going on around the wire and whoever it was finally got around to talking about Cowher. Basically said he spoke with a close friend of Cowher and according to them...Cowher has said "he has no interest in working for Snyder."
If I were a mod, i'd change your sig to say "dreamkiller."

Doesn't surprise me though. I just hope Dallas doesn't get him. We'd be at the bottom of the division for the next decade.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #644
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
The bears have also had horrible offenses under Lovie Smith and their defense has been regressing. The bears also made a very significant investment in Cutler (both in terms of dollars and the players and picks they traded to denver to get him) and they need to ensure that that investment pays dividends. Shanahan could get the most out of Cutler and build the appropriate offense around him. I don't think the Bears would fire Lovie without already having a secret agreement in place with Shanahan, but its extremely possible. The biggest obstacle to a deal being done would be Shanahan's contract. The Bears are pretty frugal and I don't know if they'd be willing to pay Shanahan what he'd demand.
The problem wouldn't so much be paying Shanahan. It would be paying Shanahan and Lovie Smith, who would still be under contract and due something like $5 million over each of the next two years
Old 12-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #645
MTK
\m/

My head hurts from all the wild speculation going on up in here.