Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

New Games on the Horizon (the video game thread)

Parking Lot

Old 07-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #631
Smooter
Impact Rookie

re: New Games on the Horizon (the video game thread)

The Last of Us looks promising. NSFW due to language and violence.

Advertisements
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #632
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooter View Post
The Last of Us looks promising. NSFW due to language and violence.

That does look cool, very original RE like.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #633
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #634
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I'm insanely looking forward to Resident Evil 6, that's probably my all time favorite series, matter of fact I even have the biohazard symbol complete with umbrella logo on my shoulder.

Also looking forward to Dead Space 3. That's another game that i got really into when it first came out, even though it didn't have major marketing like other games...
Old 08-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #635
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I'm insanely looking forward to Resident Evil 6, that's probably my all time favorite series, matter of fact I even have the biohazard symbol complete with umbrella logo on my shoulder.

Also looking forward to Dead Space 3. That's another game that i got really into when it first came out, even though it didn't have major marketing like other games...
I'm very skeptical of Resident Evil 6. I dodged a bullet RE5 by cancelling my pre-order and renting it instead saving me $53. For me the series has been going downhill since Code Veronica and RE4 for most people. Darkside Chronicles was a welcome break and actually a very well put together on rail shooter but other then that the series has been plagued by mediocrity. Operation Racoon City for example was an unmitigated disaster.

I mean Shinji Mikami the series creator is gone and since then Capcom has said that there isn't enough money in survival horror and they need to target the Call of Duty crowd. I'll admit the Leon story arc has potential as they've gone back to an RE2 vibe but to me it just seems like a disaster waiting to happen as the series is alienating it's core audience and then trying desperately to get the attention of an audience that has little interest or even if they get some crossover it will be people who want to play Resident Evil not another Call of Duty clone. As I saw in a comment on Youtube, "If I want to play Call of Duty I'll pay Call of Duty. If I want to play Resident Evil/Dead Space/Mass Effect I'll play Resident Evil/Dead Space/Mass Effect.

Capcom looking to attract Call of Duty fans with Resident Evil 6; ‘Action route makes sense’ « GamingBolt.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Previews and Blog

Dead Space is taking the same route and has also stated they want the Call of Duty crowd and that Dead Space 1 and 2 were to scary hence the introduction of co-op mode and more action oriented scenes. This is ironic to me because at one point I read an article by the Dead Space series creator who was criticizing other games for being a half second late on their scares. Now all of a sudden the series is to scary and needs to be dumbed down for the Call of Duty crowd.

EA thinks Dead Space was too scary to be single-player -Destructoid

The video game industry wonders why they're being hit by their own recession, I think chasing the oversaturated Call of Duty crowd and sacrificing innovation as well as core mechanics of their own games is the main culprit.

In short RE6 has potential but I'll take a wait and see approach. Dead Space 3 is all but a surefire fail in my book but I'll still be watching. It's sad to because the Dead Space series was the last true AAA survival horror game out there.

*end rant*

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 08-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #636
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I'm very skeptical of Resident Evil 6. I dodged a bullet RE5 by cancelling my pre-order and renting it instead saving me $53. For me the series has been going downhill since Code Veronica and RE4 for most people. Darkside Chronicles was a welcome break and actually a very well put together on rail shooter but other then that the series has been plagued by mediocrity. Operation Racoon City for example was an unmitigated disaster.

I mean Shinji Mikami the series creator is gone and since then Capcom has said that there isn't enough money in survival horror and they need to target the Call of Duty crowd. I'll admit the Leon story arc has potential as they've gone back to an RE2 vibe but to me it just seems like a disaster waiting to happen as the series is alienating it's core audience and then trying desperately to get the attention of an audience that has little interest or even if they get some crossover it will be people who want to play Resident Evil not another Call of Duty clone. As I saw in a comment on Youtube, "If I want to play Call of Duty I'll pay Call of Duty. If I want to play Resident Evil/Dead Space/Mass Effect I'll play Resident Evil/Dead Space/Mass Effect.

Capcom looking to attract Call of Duty fans with Resident Evil 6; ‘Action route makes sense’ « GamingBolt.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Previews and Blog

Dead Space is taking the same route and has also stated they want the Call of Duty crowd and that Dead Space 1 and 2 were to scary hence the introduction of co-op mode and more action oriented scenes. This is ironic to me because at one point I read an article by the Dead Space series creator who was criticizing other games for being a half second late on their scares. Now all of a sudden the series is to scary and needs to be dumbed down for the Call of Duty crowd.

EA thinks Dead Space was too scary to be single-player -Destructoid

The video game industry wonders why they're being hit by their own recession, I think chasing the oversaturated Call of Duty crowd and sacrificing innovation as well as core mechanics of their own games is the main culprit.

In short RE6 has potential but I'll take a wait and see approach. Dead Space 3 is all but a surefire fail in my book but I'll still be watching. It's sad to because the Dead Space series was the last true AAA survival horror game out there.

*end rant*
Great post man, i agree with a lot of your points. My 3 favorite video game franchises of all time are Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and Metal Gear Solid. I look at all of their offerings with Rose colored glasses, unfortunatley.

I did not enjoy RE5 as I hoped i would, but in time learned to like it. I loved the "lost in nightmares" DLC that was actually scary and payed awesome homage to Resident Evil 1.

Silent Hill has not made a good game IMO since Silent Hill 3. Metal Gear Solid thankfully continues to be awesome.

Dead Space is another one of my favs, not of all time yet. Dead Space one scared the ever loving s*it out of me, and Dead Space 2 was just as scary. I will be very disappointed if they dumb down the 3rd one because it's "too scary".

The survival horror genre could make big money if somebody does it right. Zombie were supposedly done to death and now with stuff like The Walking Dead, Zombies are big business again. You'd think Capcom would figure this out, so maybe RE6 might be good...I'll get it either way
Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #637
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Great post man, i agree with a lot of your points. My 3 favorite video game franchises of all time are Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and Metal Gear Solid. I look at all of their offerings with Rose colored glasses, unfortunatley.

I did not enjoy RE5 as I hoped i would, but in time learned to like it. I loved the "lost in nightmares" DLC that was actually scary and payed awesome homage to Resident Evil 1.

Silent Hill has not made a good game IMO since Silent Hill 3. Metal Gear Solid thankfully continues to be awesome.

Dead Space is another one of my favs, not of all time yet. Dead Space one scared the ever loving s*it out of me, and Dead Space 2 was just as scary. I will be very disappointed if they dumb down the 3rd one because it's "too scary".

The survival horror genre could make big money if somebody does it right. Zombie were supposedly done to death and now with stuff like The Walking Dead, Zombies are big business again. You'd think Capcom would figure this out, so maybe RE6 might be good...I'll get it either way
Yeah, it seems like you and I were fortunate to grow up in a time where there was just the right amount of innovation and growth for the big names. Back in the last 2 generations you almost never had to worry about a big game falling on it's face. Resident Evil, MGS, Silent Hill, Final Fantasy were always guranteed hits.

And it's not even that the games are bad but rather they are painfully mediocre. I looked at the last 4 games I got on midnight releases, every single last one of them was unable to get higher then a B in my book (ME3, Dead Island, Final Fantasy XIII, Uncharted 3).

It's basically the equivalent of being a Skins fan circa 2000.

Luckily I recently got a sweet gaming rig from HP and have either been able to rediscover old console classics that I enjoyed (Dead Space 1/2, Mass Effect 2 that basically now resemble high def remakes) as well as games I never played before like Half Life and Portal.

- FRPLG
Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #638
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Yep i enjoy gaming on my PC as much as time will allow it. I still have a 360, PS3, but there is something special and kind of "throw back" to playing games on PC.

I forgot to mention that the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games were up their on my list. I have spent literall hundreds of hours on each of their games on my PC. I have recently been playing the Dawnguard expansion and it has not disappointed.

Thinking back to the time you mentioned, it really is true that you didn't have to worry about a game flopping back then. But it seems like now everything is made to fit the casual gamer. I miss games being difficult and downright frustrating. Now everything is almost dumbed down. That news on Dead Space being called "too scary" has really bummed me out. I hope they don't change too much for Dead Space 3, i really wanna enjoy it. Same with Resident Evil 6....we'll see i guess.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #639
MTK
\m/

Big fan of the Dead Space series. I was bummed to hear about it going more "action oriented" for DS3, but I've also read this is a little overblown and the game won't be moving away from the horror aspect. I could really care less about the co-op, or the multi-player for that matter. It's all about the single player.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #640
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Big fan of the Dead Space series. I was bummed to hear about it going more "action oriented" for DS3, but I've also read this is a little overblown and the game won't be moving away from the horror aspect. I could really care less about the co-op, or the multi-player for that matter. It's all about the single player.
I have DS on PS3 been trying to get into it. Part of the problem my PS3 is in the family room vs. my basement man cave. I don't know why but being up there I can't be focused/comfortable.

I have re-visited Zelda Twilight; great game.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #641
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Halo 4 Launch Trailer - 'Scanned' | Watch the video - Yahoo! Games
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #642
MTK
\m/

Anyone playing Halo 4? How is it?

Black Ops II out today... I'm looking forward to checking it out. Hope it's better than MW3, I barely played that one.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #643
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Anyone playing Halo 4? How is it?

Black Ops II out today... I'm looking forward to checking it out. Hope it's better than MW3, I barely played that one.
You have beat me up over the years about Halo; now you are asking about it? Oh geez. =)

I have not got it yet; was wondering the same.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #644
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Anyone get the Skyrim add-ons? Dawnguard, Heathrfire or Dragonborn?
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #645
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Man, I stopped playing Skyrim months ago. It's just having too many problems on my PS3. Right now I'm playing Assassins Creed 3, it's pretty good. I'm also looking forward to Hitman: Absolution coming out in a couple weeks and Far Cry 3 coming out in December.

And I also read an article (can't link to it because I'm at work) that said GTA V, which is coming out next spring, will have 3 main characters. There's a new trailer for it coming out tomorrow too.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote