Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-09-2021, 02:02 PM   #632
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: Fresh Start Political Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
The Nixon nuclear plan would have reduced emissions substantially. We would beat bench marks 20 years ago.

Also…have you seen the China chart of coal plants planned out? And what are in use now?

When it’s comes to the environment, tell me what we need to do to stop China..the genocide, plague creating shithole it is
Nuclear while very expensive would have been good IMO. With China I guess the good news is they reached peak coal a few years ago. They use a type of coal called sub bituminous which is very high sulfur. I would love for United States to put pressure on corporations to use more sustainable measures if they are manufacturing overseas. I have never understood why we aren’t more aggressive there. I thought trump tariffs were a good step but where he failed was to not take US ag subsidies away from soy and over to fruit and vegetables that would have increased food security here and off set export tariffs in play by China. I also wish we would take a hard stance on genocide. The recent shift in US military support in Guam including long range bombers is fine but I think we all know is a bluff.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:53 PM   #633
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Adam Kinzinger 2024
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:54 PM   #634
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Nuclear while very expensive would have been good IMO. With China I guess the good news is they reached peak coal a few years ago. They use a type of coal called sub bituminous which is very high sulfur. I would love for United States to put pressure on corporations to use more sustainable measures if they are manufacturing overseas. I have never understood why we aren’t more aggressive there. I thought trump tariffs were a good step but where he failed was to not take US ag subsidies away from soy and over to fruit and vegetables that would have increased food security here and off set export tariffs in play by China. I also wish we would take a hard stance on genocide. The recent shift in US military support in Guam including long range bombers is fine but I think we all know is a bluff.
Nuclear stigma then was tough to overcome then. Hindsight, but it was forward thinking…maybe even progressive?

Energy policy is soooo critical IMO. We are so spoiled here but it’s critical to the nation as if affects so many parts of our life every single day. It’s key cost component in everything.

The green new deal stuff is completely insane and ridiculous to think we can simply lift and shift broad policies that affects so much in a short amount of time. Innovation isn’t stopping and green technology is a priority, but not the for reason everyone thinks.

He Gets Us
Old 08-10-2021, 12:53 AM   #635
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Why is it always energy issues that republicans are so worried about? Clean fossil fuels? a bit oxymoronic but I would be in favor of natural gas production. Keystone is a joke, a grand total of a couple dozen long term jobs, no impact on our gas prices. Prior to my current job I worked on the EIS for some national and regional pipelines they are a racket that benefits the production companies and politicians only.

You find me a Republican (or a non progressive democrat for that matter) that will eliminate coal, create a more than fair economic package for the coal workers (not the corporations) for the impact to their current career, would be willing to move keystone off of native lands, internalize the health and environmental costs of petroleum and eliminate the 14% federally guaranteed profits that companies get just for building a pipeline through FERC and I would be more than interested at looking at where they stand on other issues.
Our chances of ever agreeing with each other on energy is 0%. But if we were in charge, I bet we would get something done.

That being said - Free all the energyl! I want it all! Every form, maximize it. We're no where close to getting rid of oil or coal. All we are doing by pretending like we can is just giving more power to China and other competitors. Americans just aren't realistic about where everything comes from, imo.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #636
SunnySide
Playmaker

When did this Country stop being innovative and groundbreaking?

We gave the world the lightbulb, the internet, plastic, dental floss, landed on the moon.

But when it comes to energy its "naw were good with circa 1800 energy sources like fucking coal. Lets not try and come up with better cleaner energy sources."

I feel like this is part of Idiocracy where all the top scientist minds are busy increasing penis sizes and not solving the worlds real problems.

God forbid the US society tries to move on from the 1950s.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #637
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

We gave the world the lightbulb, the internet, plastic, dental floss, landed on the moon.

But when it comes to energy its "naw were good with circa 1800 energy sources like fucking coal. Lets not try and come up with better cleaner energy sources."

I feel like this is part of Idiocracy where all the top scientist minds are busy increasing penis sizes and not solving the worlds real problems.

Ha..penis size, anti aging, hair loss, and diet pills. That’s where the money is.

Nationalize the energy sector and you would kill all innovation. Competition fosters it. Green technology is still a competitive, growing field and will only advance.

He Gets Us
Old 08-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #638
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

When nuclear was taken off the table, coal and oil dominance grew. The other types of clean energy have had plenty of subsidies and encouragement from government and public sector, but they simply don't have a solution to the complete demand. You don't and currently can't get the bang for your buck that you can for oil or coal solutions, even with the expense to make them cleaner.

There are solutions that involve nuclear power that could work, but the eco-green politicians would have no part of those.

The US still innovates, and cleaner technologies have made amazing progress for using less and less electricity. The issue is a physical matter of generating, storing and transporting energy to those devices and tech.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #639
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
ftfy
https://nypost.com/2021/08/10/rashid...k-in-michigan/

Rashida Tlaib seen dancing at wedding without mask after slamming Rand Paul

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aoc...s-mask-capitol

AOC puts on mask for picture, removes it afterward, video shows
Ocasio-Cortez removed her mask shortly after the photo was taken

https://www.newsweek.com/chicago-may...a-rise-1613988

Chicago Mayor Dismisses 'Spreader' Concerns on Lollapalooza Amid CDC Guidance, Delta Rise

You got Obama maskless in a tent dancing in an identified high transmission area

You agree these aren’t serious people and the mask talk is largely performative theatre?

He Gets Us
Old 08-10-2021, 12:20 PM   #640
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
When nuclear was taken off the table, coal and oil dominance grew. The other types of clean energy have had plenty of subsidies and encouragement from government and public sector, but they simply don't have a solution to the complete demand. You don't and currently can't get the bang for your buck that you can for oil or coal solutions, even with the expense to make them cleaner.

There are solutions that involve nuclear power that could work, but the eco-green politicians would have no part of those.

The US still innovates, and cleaner technologies have made amazing progress for using less and less electricity. The issue is a physical matter of generating, storing and transporting energy to those devices and tech.
I hear ya Cred, I know nothing about energy -- clean energy, fossil energy -- but as a dummy looking from the outside in, I hope 50 years from now we still arent using coal and oil. Everything you said makes sense perfect and common sense.

But its not really us .. its fucking China and India etc needing to use clean renewable energy.

Whether or not I recycle this milk carton doesnt do anything when China emits more emissions than all the developed countries combined.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57018837
Old 08-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #641
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aoc...s-mask-capitol

AOC puts on mask for picture, removes it afterward, video shows
Ocasio-Cortez removed her mask shortly after the photo was taken

https://www.newsweek.com/chicago-may...a-rise-1613988

Chicago Mayor Dismisses 'Spreader' Concerns on Lollapalooza Amid CDC Guidance, Delta Rise

You got Obama maskless in a tent dancing in an identified high transmission area

You agree these aren’t serious people and the mask talk is largely performative theatre?
It does seem to be performative theater.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #642
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I hear ya Cred, I know nothing about energy -- clean energy, fossil energy -- but as a dummy looking from the outside in, I hope 50 years from now we still arent using coal and oil. Everything you said makes sense perfect and common sense.

But its not really us .. its fucking China and India etc needing to use clean renewable energy.

Whether or not I recycle this milk carton doesnt do anything when China emits more emissions than all the developed countries combined.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57018837
You and I share a mind on China and India. You can add in non-commercial private jets in my mind. People do have to fly from A to B but there should be minimum passenger requirements on every single airplane flight over 100 miles. Those engines consume more fossil fuels than I will in a year.

If we want to innovate that is one area where a breakthrough could have massive effect.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:42 PM   #643
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

This is just personal opinion here, ...................fuck Rand Paul!
Old 08-10-2021, 01:44 PM   #644
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Cred I agree in regards to petroleum as of now we use it in so many products and it is essential for travel. Electric cars are making great headways but for people to take them seriously you need to be able to pull of the highway and get a full charge in 3 minutes, the average time it takes to fill a sedan in the United States until then you won't get serious buy in.

Coal I have to disagree. While yes it is the most energy dense it is just awful from a human health, environment and economic stand point. Coal has been phasing itself out but far to slowly. At the turn of the century it was 60% of our electrical generation portfolio. Flashforward 20 years later and it is less than 20%. We generate more from nuclear now (even though the amount from nuclear has stayed the same). The reason is because of natural gas far cleaner, less air and aquatic pollutants, less climate change impact, easier to transport the list goes on.

I also tend to disagree with you on renewables. The last twenty years we have been so far behind subsidizing it. The amount we subsidize coal, oil and natural gas is insane. You can always argue they are bigger shares of the profile therefore deserve higher subsidies. We could all chip in by a lease on federal land for $2 and acre and probably pull in 1 million a year in profits. None of the presidents we have had this century have invested seriously in renewables. Right now we have the ability to provide all our electrical needs from photovoltaic and wind during daytime and use nuclear and natural gas at night regardless of battery storage. We just lack effective national leadership to work it out.

SD I imagine we could get that 0% up to at least 2%.

Chico you mentioned the Green New Deal the problem with it IMO is we should have been working on energy conservation strategies 45 years ago. It is kind of like the shit show SD's state is in with fires. Most fire prone areas of the world began moving power underground. California instead of investing bit by bit just ignored it and now spend billions of dollars on fire issues a year (awesome job Newsome) or the school district that doesn't put money towards maintaining infrastructure and then we are stuck with collapsing school buildings and they say it is too expensive to fix we yeah you have ignored it for a half a century of course it is.

If I had my way the two biggest things I would focus on are conservation of energy and energy efficiency for some reason we have really struggled there but it makes the most direct and immediate impact.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:45 PM   #645
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I also cringe at using nonrenewable resources for single use purposes it just seems so illogical to me.