Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins pay or trade Trent Williams?
Pay him 34 46.58%
Trade him 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 11:28 AM   #586
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
But is he gonna sit out 2 years? That’s the difference
Bingo

Advertisements
Old 08-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #587
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
The funny thing about this post is that guy, who fans aside from yourself think is only "good" has a legit chance at becoming the Redskins all-time sack leader this upcoming season. If that's how we're setting the bar I can't wait until we get one of those elite pass rushers.
Exactly and I saw that since 2013 only Von Miller has more sacks than Ryan in the NFL and that was by a half sack. Ryan just doesn't have the flashy name or the flashy play I guess, but the man is durable and gets the job done. Is he Donald or Mack or Miller? No, but his numbers speak for themselves.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #588
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by httr198020 View Post
He was abused by mediocre pass rushers. He does jump offsides. He's injured a lot. Let me ask you question since you're always on Trent's balls. How many times have we made the playoffs since Trent has been here? How many times have we advanced to the NFC championship game? Once you answer those questions you can see why we can do with or without Trent.
By that logic we should cut/trade everyone on the team right now, because none of them have advanced to the NFC title game as a member of the Redskins.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #589
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
He was abused by mediocre pass rushers. He does jump offsides. He's injured a lot. Let me ask you question since you're always on Trent's balls. How many times have we made the playoffs since Trent has been here? How many times have we advanced to the NFC championship game? Once you answer those questions you can see why we can do with or without Trent.
U don't watch football
Old 08-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #590
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
U don't watch football

Old 08-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #591
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
U don't watch football
I've watched ever Redskin game for the last 30 years.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #592
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Exactly and I saw that since 2013 only Von Miller has more sacks than Ryan in the NFL and that was by a half sack. Ryan just doesn't have the flashy name or the flashy play I guess, but the man is durable and gets the job done. Is he Donald or Mack or Miller? No, but his numbers speak for themselves.
+1. He's not Von Miller, but then again very few players are. Above average is good enough for me. If he went out for the year and god forbid Ryan Anderson had to take his place, we would all be bitching about the drop-off in talent.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:22 PM   #593
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I've watched ever Redskin game for the last 30 years.
Well then how the heck can u say Trent gets beat all the time? You do realize that since he came into the league, he has given up the least amount of sacks right?
Old 08-05-2019, 09:47 PM   #594
5superbowls3wins
Impact Rookie

Trent is the best LT in the NFL. He doesn’t get beat, and is more athletic than almost any LT. He can get out in space and move pretty fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2019, 11:23 PM   #595
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

They need to figure out something quickly. NE can afford him evidently and many feel need an upgrade at the position.

https://us.blastingnews.com/sports/2...002960611.html

I'm hearing NE or Houston. Either way, the team is sending mixed signals. I'm still in favor of trading him. Just feel this situation is nearly irrecoverable at this point. I understand Trent is pissed, but he has to be somewhat reasonable. That doesn't appear to be the case.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:49 AM   #596
Warthog
The Starter

The article I read said Trent’s still getting in NFL shape. Not ready yet.

We need Trent more than he needs us. We went from having a good OL to it just imploding.We’re bringing in guys like Flowers, Penn in a rather vain attempt to plug the huge hole he leaves in the OL by not being there. These guys are stopgap players not anywhere close to being at Trents level of play. The reason our three QB are having some of their problems in TC, is because of heavy pass pressure. What’s it going to be like when the QB can actually be hit in the game?

If the Redskins ever want to get to the next level they need to figure out how to deal with elite players like Trent. The Cousins fiasco was just totally mis-handled. This is going the same way. The Redskins are known in the NFL for their drama - the bad kind. If they can figure out how to get Trent back on board, they will lose some of the stigma of being a poorly run organization. If we can’t figure out how to deal with Trent, what’s the likelihood we’ll do any better with Schereff?

Trent wants guaranteed money this year. Give it to him and make our OL a positive part of our offense for our rookie QB.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Old 08-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #597
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post

We need Trent more than he needs us. We went from having a good OL to it just imploding.We’re bringing in guys like Flowers, Penn in a rather vain attempt to plug the huge hole he leaves in the OL by not being there. These guys are stopgap players not anywhere close to being at Trents level of play. The reason our three QB are having some of their problems in TC, is because of heavy pass pressure. What’s it going to be like when the QB can actually be hit in the game?

If the Redskins ever want to get to the next level they need to figure out how to deal with elite players like Trent. The Cousins fiasco was just totally mis-handled. This is going the same way. The Redskins are known in the NFL for their drama - the bad kind. If they can figure out how to get Trent back on board, they will lose some of the stigma of being a poorly run organization. If we can’t figure out how to deal with Trent, what’s the likelihood we’ll do any better with Schereff?

Trent wants guaranteed money this year. Give it to him and make our OL a positive part of our offense for our rookie QB.

Good post! Yes, we definitely need Trent more than he needs us. With Trent back, we should have a very solid OT group with Donald Penn as the swing tackle.

BTW, please don't lump Penn in the same category as Flowers. Penn has been an outstanding NFL player whereas Flowers has been a bust up to now.

To me, guaranteed money would be no big thing in Trent's case, if that what it takes to get him to report. I would not trade him under any circumstances.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:38 AM   #598
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

“I don’t know. I don’t know how much (Trent is) paying attention. Another week or two, we’ll see what happens. If I have to jog to Houston (Williams’s home base) or wherever the heck he’s at, I might have to do that,” Gruden told The Athletic.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:55 PM   #599
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post

From my perspective, the Skins have treated Trent incredibly well. They have paid him over 100M so far. He has been injury-prone throughout his career, and dealt with numerous suspensions. What did we do after his last 4 game suspension? We gave him the largest contract for an NFL O-lineman in history.

There is no denying the general dysfunction surrounding this team, but when it comes to Trent, this team has been incredibly loyal to him.

Regarding this current situation, reports are that the team advised Trent to get a second opinion for two years - and he didn't. The medical staff just won an award for best in the league, so i find it highly unlikely they bungled this situation in some way. At some point, Trent needs to take some personal responsibility instead of blaming the team for his own stupidity.

I've hated not a few decisions this team has made over the years and the stubborn and callous way they've handled some situations. But by all appearances, that is not the case here.

Trent is old, injury-prone, and has two years remaining on his deal. Extending him would, quite frankly, be short-sighted and stupid. Depsite everything Trent has done for us, we can only bank on him for 12-ish games per year the next 2-3 years anyway - at most. Is that really someone that smart teams give huge contract extensions to? Or do they "move on a year too early rather than a year too late?"

It would be better to call his bluff and devote the next large contract for the Oline to Scherff. If Trent holds out all year, that's unfortunate, but we can get by with Penn for a year and then address the long-term plan at LT in the draft or free agency next year.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #600
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
From my perspective, the Skins have treated Trent incredibly well. They have paid him over 100M so far. He has been injury-prone throughout his career, and dealt with numerous suspensions. What did we do after his last 4 game suspension? We gave him the largest contract for an NFL O-lineman in history.

There is no denying the general dysfunction surrounding this team, but when it comes to Trent, this team has been incredibly loyal to him.

Regarding this current situation, reports are that the team advised Trent to get a second opinion for two years - and he didn't. The medical staff just won an award for best in the league, so i find it highly unlikely they bungled this situation in some way. At some point, Trent needs to take some personal responsibility instead of blaming the team for his own stupidity.

I've hated not a few decisions this team has made over the years and the stubborn and callous way they've handled some situations. But by all appearances, that is not the case here.

Trent is old, injury-prone, and has two years remaining on his deal. Extending him would, quite frankly, be short-sighted and stupid. Depsite everything Trent has done for us, we can only bank on him for 12-ish games per year the next 2-3 years anyway - at most. Is that really someone that smart teams give huge contract extensions to? Or do they "move on a year too early rather than a year too late?"

It would be better to call his bluff and devote the next large contract for the Oline to Scherff. If Trent holds out all year, that's unfortunate, but we can get by with Penn for a year and then address the long-term plan at LT in the draft or free agency next year.
Good post but I have to disagree with you. Yeah, we've paid him a lot of money but he's one of the best LT in the NFL. He's been one of the few outstanding, constants on this team. The OL will be a freakin' NIGHTMARE without him. I think you will see how sorry our OL is in these upcoming pre-season games. I suspect we will have no running game and our QB are going to be running for their lives.

TW is one of a handful of players who have been on this team for more than 6 years! If you have a franchise player at a key position, like LT, you keep him!

At 31, he still has a few really good years left. You talk about Flowers - he is 36 years old. That's ancient in the NFL. TW's current contract is #6 in the NFL for LT. Are we really going to f--- up our OL this season over a few $mill of guaranteed money?

Next season I suspect we will have a new coach and we will be drafting for OL keepers. Let's keep our best OL players on the team -TW and Sheref.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Closed Thread