Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Who do you want to start at QB?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Who Do You Want Starting at QB Opening Day?
John Beck 123 73.65%
Rex Grossman 44 26.35%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #586
Defensewins
Playmaker

Re: Who do you want to start at QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
We can't say for sure what Beck can/will do. But I wish we'd dispel this notion that he's Cam Newton entering this season. Beck isn't a rookie who's never taken an NFL snap. And the notion that he's Romo or Trent Green. He wasn't an undrafted free agent. He wasn't even someone who has been grooomed under one team under the time was right like Rodgers or even Kolb.

He's Brady Quinn. That's essentially what he is right now, Brady Quinn. A top 40 pick who has not yet found his place in the league, but it won't be with the team that drafted him. And yeah he played on a bad Dolphins team. So what. That's what happens to most good young quarterbacks on bad teams
That is all I am trying to say. People say we know what he have. We do not. He might surprise, he might fail. He might be very average. We will see. That is great.
y

Advertisements
Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #587
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
You are wrong, I am not saying that. Clausen does not suck. He may end up being a great nfl Qb. All I am saying is you can not definitively judge a QB that has started 4 games.
Fair enough.

It is my opinion that if you start compiling all of the available evidence, you probably can judge John Beck pretty accurately. Four games? Probably not enough to say either way. Beck has been in the league five years though and has appeared in five games. Which means that some jerk of a coach (or coaches) is going out of his way to not play him. And if Shanahan names Rex the QB tomorrow, you can add him to those list of coaches who conspires secretly to not give John Beck a shot. My opinion (and its simply another opinion, like yours) is that, okay, Beck may or may not deserve to be named the QB this week, but people are expecting way too much from John Beck or the idea of John Beck.

All Beck has proven is that he deeply, truly loves the game of football. And it's hard to tell a guy like that "no, you can't play", though a bunch of NFL coaches have done exactly that. Nothing with Beck is definitive. With Grossman, sure, a lot has been shown definitively.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #588
Bucket
Playmaker

Where did Redskin players say that don't think Beck is very good? I've never seen that. Sometimes Gtripp, I think you make up stuff to make a point lol.

We don't know what we can get with Beck, but we know what we are getting from Grossman, and it's not very much. I firmly believe that Beck can do no worse then what Grossman has done for us this year. I do believe that he can add another element to our offense that desperately needs it right now.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #589
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
He's Brady Quinn. That's essentially what he is right now, Brady Quinn. A top 40 pick who has not yet found his place in the league, but it won't be with the team that drafted him. And yeah he played on a bad Dolphins team. So what. That's what happens to most good young quarterbacks on bad teams
I see what you did there. Very smooth.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #590
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
Where did Redskin players say that don't think Beck is very good? I've never seen that. Sometimes Gtripp, I think you make up stuff to make a point lol.

We don't know what we can get with Beck, but we know what we are getting from Grossman, and it's not very much. I firmly believe that Beck can do no worse then what Grossman has done for us this year. I do believe that he can add another element to our offense that desperately needs it right now.
Well if you are allowing me to speak for the Redskins players, then I really am just making stuff up. If you actually interpret their comments, then I'm just reading between the lines.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #591
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I see what you did there. Very smooth.
Um...I don't even think I see what I did there...guess you read between the lines?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #592
Bucket
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Well if you are allowing me to speak for the Redskins players, then I really am just making stuff up. If you actually interpret their comments, then I'm just reading between the lines.
I must of missed these comments then. I've seen players say they follow whoever is behind center. Even Moss defended Grossman at first, but said he has faith in Beck or Grossman.

Maybe you're just a great interpreter :cool-smil

6TD/9Int and 11 total turnovers this year in 5 games. Worse rating in the NFL as a QB, and I believe he's in the bottom of the new QBR system as well... I don't think Shanny has all this faith he says he has in Grossman. I believe that Grossman is Kyle's guy and that's who he wants to play because he "won" the preseason competition.

I really do think Beck will play this year, but I have a feeling Grossman will be the starter on Sunday. A coach's meeting, and Kyle telling his dad that his guy had one bad game, etc etc...

I hope i'm wrong, and I could be because this is all opinionated guesses. For all I know, Shanny will announce Beck the starting QB because his mobility and quick release give us the best chance to win behind a injured Oline.

Who knows... All I know is on the first few snaps of the Eagles game. The roll out returned and was effective to an extent. That's the offense I wan't to see. I still watch Houston games because watching the way the offense is suppose to run is beautiful.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #593
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Um...I don't even think I see what I did there...guess you read between the lines?
Yes. I agree with you.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #594
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Frankly I am tired of all the (I think I am an expert on QB's) on this sight that make predictions about Qb's that have barely taken and NFL snap. Cam Newton is the most obvious person to point to.
All effing off season I had to endure listening to some idiots talking about how they were 100% sure Cam Newton will be terrible in the NFL. Failure.
You don't have to endure listening to anyone on this site. You can not read their posts or put them on your Ignore List.

Declaring Newton an NFL success at QB is a bit premature at best after 6 games, a 78.3 QB rating, two 3 INT games and a 1-5 record. May he reach the potential he has, maybe? Could he still win up a colossal bust, maybe?

Scouting Reports or summaries from some "idiots":

ProFootballWeekly.com - Cam Newton scouting report

From the PFW link: Can provide an initial spark, but will quickly be dissected and contained by NFL defensive coordinators, struggle to sustain success and will not prove worthy of an early investment. An overhyped, high-risk, high-reward selection with a glaring bust factor, Newton is sure to be drafted more highly than he should and could foreclose a risk-taking GM's job and taint a locker room.

Caution on Cam Newton From Mayock - NYTimes.com

Mayock had him rated as the third best QB.

ESPN's Mel Kiper compares Cam Newton to all-time bust Akili Smith

Kiper also said Newton had the "biggest upside and biggest risk".

Draft's biggest wild card: Is Cam Newton a boom or a bust? - USATODAY.com

"He has a first-round arm and first-round athleticism, but you just can't snap your fingers and say, 'He's NFL-ready,' " NFLDraftScout.com senior analyst Rob Rang said.
Added McShay: "People will ask about his one quote, that he wants to be an entertainer and icon. It raises questions about where his focus is. Do you love the game? Or do you love what the game brings you?
"It's hard to pass on Cam Newton's talent. But I think Blaine Gabbert's better."

Quote:
Before that. some of those 'experts' were saying Jimmy Clausen was going to be the best pro in his draft class and he was the most pro ready Qb coming out that year. He is now third string behind rookie Cam Newton.

Beck is also unknown. He started a few games for a terrible Dolphins team. Lets give him a look. That is all I ask.
If Beck is an unknown, why is Clausen not an unknown rather than a "3rd string" failure as you infer. Another team will give Clausen a look at some point and hopefully he'll make the most of that opportunity. Currently his record is 1-9 as a starter with a 58.3 QB rate. Not good by any standard, but he improved as the year went on despite playing 7 playoff teams in 10 starts.

Let's look at the others in that class: Tebow - jury's out, but serious limitiations as a passer. We'll find out about Tebow the rest of this year.

McCoy - 4-9 record as starter, 76.3 QB rate. Done some good things, might improve with better talent around him.

Bradford - 7-14 record as starter, 75.3 QB rate. Done some good things on a horrible team. I believe he'll be a solid NFL QB, but not an elite QB.

I haven't seen anyone on this site claim to be an "expert" on NFL QBs. This is a message board and folks come here to share their thoughts and opinions. Some folks agree, some don't, that's what makes it interesting. It's awful easy to bash someone's reasoned opinion on a QB/team/whatever after the fact as "idiotic" or a "Failure", hindsight is 20/20. If you didn't step up and put out a reasoned counter-opinion in my mind you don't have any grounds to criticize.

I wouldn't definitively call people out when the jury is still out on any QBs from the 2010 & 2011 draft classes.....but that's just my opinion, I'm no expert.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #595
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
How do we know Beck wont be better, or even good? He hasn't even played a game and as far as rookies are concerned. If you treat Beck like a Rookie QB at the moment then his appearance the other day wasn't that bad.

You don't know what you will get out of Beck till he plays. Many QB's have sat on the Bench only to come in the game and prove they can play in the NFL.
but he's 30. a 30 year old rookie is in no way impressive and probably won't light it up here after being passed on by other QB needy teams.

maybe he will, maybe he's rich gannon II, but i won't be putting money on it.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #596
Bucket
Playmaker

You guys looks to much into age. This isn't Madden. You can't just have a roster full of 25 year old speedsters.

30 for a QB is still middle age and he just turned 30. He hasn't been beat up, and IF he does turn out to be a solid QB.. Then why couldn't he play here for 4-5 years while we groom a QB "Rogers Style"?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #597
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

It's not that he's 30. It's that he's 30 and has yet to prove anything.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #598
Bucket
Playmaker

If I wake up tomorrow and see that Rex is starting via source... I'm going back to bed for the rest of the day.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:52 AM   #599
pg86
No new threads for you

Quote:
It's not that he's 30. It's that he's 30 and has yet to prove anything.
I got a good question....when has he had opportunity to prove anything?

Rex has gotten rediculous amounts of oppertunity

Remember what our beloved Darrell Green said " No matter how much talent you have it don't mean a thing if no one gives you the opportunity"

Last edited by pg86; 10-19-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:14 AM   #600
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg86 View Post
I got a good question....when has he had opportunity to prove anything?

Rex has gotten rediculous amounts of oppertunity

Remember what our beloved Darrell Green said " No matter how much talent you have it don't mean a thing if no one gives you the opportunity"
he's already failed in two cities. if you can't win the job, why would you think he'd be better than the guys he can't beat outright? It's not like he was sitting behind tom brady. he missed his shot in two VERY QB needy cities, and neither of those teams FO's had any problem letting him go.

step 3: winner?!?

Last edited by That Guy; 10-19-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Closed Thread