Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Commanders 2023 Off-Season Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: How would you address the QB1 situation for 2023?
Swing big in a trade for a veteran 2 3.77%
Trade up in the draft for a top prospect 4 7.55%
See who hits free agency 7 13.21%
Sit tight with Howell 35 66.04%
Other 5 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2023, 01:42 PM   #586
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: Commanders 2023 Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Has our our on field play has ticked from laughing stock to mediocre? Off the field we are clearly still a laughing stock, though that is on the idiot owner. Always was really. On the field we ticked up real slightly as far as wins losses go from Gruden to Rivera. Not sure it is enough to call it a marked improvement.

Anyway yeah Snyder leaving is the first domino. And its a giant one.
I think it has. In the three years with RR 7-9,7-10, 8-8-1 with a back up QB running the show? That is pretty solid. Gruden had a 4-12 and 3-13 season.

Advertisements
Old 02-16-2023, 01:47 PM   #587
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I think it has. In the three years with RR 7-9,7-10, 8-8-1 with a back up QB running the show? That is pretty solid. Gruden had a 4-12 and 3-13 season.
RR done a decent job, we all have to remember he is trying to grow a team with literally the worst upper management above him in the world. It has to be incredibly hard to cancel out the DS noise and focus on building a NFL team.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:53 PM   #588
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

EB is in the building

Me irl waiting:

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 01:59 PM   #589
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Subtle sarcasm?
No, not really. You can say that he hasn't succeeded in solving the QB riddle, but I don't think you can say he hasn't tried.

2020 - gave 1st round draft pick Haskins the opportunity. Didn't work. Released him. K Allen, A Smith T Heinicke all played. Won the division - lost to TB with TH.

2021 - Tried to get M Stafford (who went on to win the SB). Signed R Fitzpatrick, who could have been a good fit. He's injured in the first half of the first game - and it's TH the rest of the way (and K Allen and G Gilbert due to Covid)

2022 - Made an offer for R Wilson, inquired about many other QBs (including D Carr, M Trubisky, P Mahomes, etc.). Some inquiries were probably not realistic, but you can't say he didn't try. He settled for C Wentz. Paid him too much. He was bad. Also drafted S Howell.

2023? - Starts with bringing in a capable OC. He's interviewed nine candidates so far. We'll see who it is soon.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 02:06 PM   #590
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
EB coming here would be an absolute career damaging move. Unless he is being pushed out in KC he should just stay there. He still has enough say over the offense in KC but I get the feeling, for whatever reason they want him to move on.
He is being "pushed out" of KC only in the sense that it may be the only way he ever gets a HC opportunity.

I don't look at coming here as a career damaging move. He will have total control of this offense. If he is successful it will be the best move he ever made.

The only way this move will be career damaging is if he fails, which is possible, as we really don't know what we have in Howell yet - who is slated to be the starter as of today.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:29 PM   #591
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
No, not really. You can say that he hasn't succeeded in solving the QB riddle, but I don't think you can say he hasn't tried.

2020 - gave 1st round draft pick Haskins the opportunity. Didn't work. Released him. K Allen, A Smith T Heinicke all played. Won the division - lost to TB with TH.

2021 - Tried to get M Stafford (who went on to win the SB). Signed R Fitzpatrick, who could have been a good fit. He's injured in the first half of the first game - and it's TH the rest of the way (and K Allen and G Gilbert due to Covid)

2022 - Made an offer for R Wilson, inquired about many other QBs (including D Carr, M Trubisky, P Mahomes, etc.). Some inquiries were probably not realistic, but you can't say he didn't try. He settled for C Wentz. Paid him too much. He was bad. Also drafted S Howell.

2023? - Starts with bringing in a capable OC. He's interviewed nine candidates so far. We'll see who it is soon.
Very good recap, a few notes to add:

2020: Haskins was a Snyder pick, I really think if this wasn't the case, RR could have moved on from him quickly.

2021: Fitz could have become a good pick up if it wasn't for the injury. That said, RR's biggest mistake IMO is not drafting a project QB that year.

2022: People forget that Seattle was not going to allow a trade within the NFC.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 03:35 PM   #592
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Realistically these are the QBs we could have drafted in 2021:

Justin Fields - would have had to trade up
Mac Jones - would have had to trade up
Kyle Trask
Kellen Mond
Davis Mills
Ian Book
Sam Ehlinger

At this point I don't think we'd be any better off had we drafted one of those guys.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:43 PM   #593
SunnySide
Playmaker

No Bieniemy announcement yet?

Im hoping he comes here, better candidate then I thought wed be able to attract. If he does come, I wonder if he brings some of his own from KC or hire some of his own assistants.

edit -- sounds like he is asking for 2.5M per.

https://www.sportscasting.com/eric-b...decision-make/
Old 02-16-2023, 03:47 PM   #594
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

Yeah I mean he also has a better D, and better weapons. Listen Gruden was bad and old Ron isn’t much better. I would love to get EB in here. Have him and JDR. Ron can do Ron. Whatever the hell that entails. Idc. Maybe the players wanna play for him idk. All I know is I have this little voice in the back of my head and it sounds like Dan Snyder and he is murmuring about sticking around and trying to figure out a way to torment me for the rest of my life.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 03:48 PM   #595
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

Fair enough.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:35 PM   #596
ArizonaSkinFan
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Remember all of those Gruden primetime beatdowns/no shows.

Besides the good data others have replied with, not having those has ticked on field up to mediocre for me. I really hated seeing a prime time game on the schedule during the Gruden era. God awful
ArizonaSkinFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:42 PM   #597
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaSkinFan View Post
Remember all of those Gruden primetime beatdowns/no shows.

Besides the good data others have replied with, not having those has ticked on field up to mediocre for me. I really hated seeing a prime time game on the schedule during the Gruden era. God awful
Ron Rivera is the cooler version of Jeff Fisher.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 05:46 PM   #598
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Yeah I mean he also has a better D, and better weapons. Listen Gruden was bad and old Ron isn’t much better. I would love to get EB in here. Have him and JDR. Ron can do Ron. Whatever the hell that entails. Idc. Maybe the players wanna play for him idk. All I know is I have this little voice in the back of my head and it sounds like Dan Snyder and he is murmuring about sticking around and trying to figure out a way to torment me for the rest of my life.
I hear what you’re saying I think the first step in being a good team is not having shitty seasons. I love ravens and Steelers can have shitty qb play but still go 6-10 and not have a bad record
Old 02-16-2023, 05:59 PM   #599
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...into-tomorrow/

Eric Bieniemy, Commanders plan to continue interview into tomorrow
Old 02-16-2023, 06:08 PM   #600
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...into-tomorrow/

Eric Bieniemy, Commanders plan to continue interview into tomorrow
Good sign imo. Really think Ron would pull a coup getting him here.

Side note…listening to the Sheehan and Thom podcast about this subject after work now, these guys are whining like little bitches about EB being the choice. Like it’s a problem he would chose here. Sometimes those two are so miserable

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote