Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Sean Taylor going to the Pro Bowl!

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-22-2005, 04:37 PM   #46
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Re: Sean Taylor going to the Pro Bowl!

Ooops, forgot to add one thing to the last post about Skins' players who might have been worthy of Pro Bowl apperances.

Frankly, I don't think Chris Samuels belongs on the Pro Bowl team. Here's the simple reason. I don't think he's the best OT on the Redskins; Jon Jansen is. So I think either Samuels got a "free pass" here or Jansen "got screwed".

You make the call...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-22-2005, 04:38 PM   #47
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade Jimoh Fan Club
I have a friend who knows someone important on the Pro Bowl Selection Committee, and this is the REAL reason Sean Taylor didn't get selected:

They wanted to pick him over Roy "Horse Collar" Williams, but the Pro Bowl game conflicted with his court date.

Don't mean to player-hate (literally) on ST, but I do think that off season rediculousness is justification for not making the roster, despite how well he played all season. If he can put together a full season w/o involving the police and show he can be a solid "cetizen" and role model - then he'll be ready to represent the NFL in the Pro Bowl.
Wrong charlie!!!
One Koren Robinson is on the team in the same season he came back from a drug suspension and rehab. That thought contrdicts the thought that he wasn't character enough. He got left off because he doesn't play the media game so he doesn't get the media props he deserves.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:44 PM   #48
Southpaw
The Starter

Quote:
If he can put together a full season w/o involving the police and show he can be a solid "cetizen" and role model - then he'll be ready to represent the NFL in the Pro Bowl.
Ahhh... so that explains why other players who have had legal troubles(Ray Lewis, Jamal Lewis, Randy Moss, Michael Irvin, etc.) never made a Pro Bowl after their legal problems. Crap, wait a minute...
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:45 PM   #49
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG
Wrong charlie!!!
One Koren Robinson is on the team in the same season he came back from a drug suspension and rehab. That thought contrdicts the thought that he wasn't character enough. He got left off because he doesn't play the media game so he doesn't get the media props he deserves.
interesting.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:52 PM   #50
Ade Jimoh Fan Club
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG
Wrong charlie!!!

Don't read too much into it, dude - I simply don't want any gangstas representing MY Redskins in the Pro Bowl, despite their talent. I want guys like Daryl Green, Art Monk, Clinton Portis (aka class acts) representing us. Guys like Santana Moss, who have turned it around on and off the field - I'm all for that! To me, it doesn't matter how many guys we send; it's quality not quantity.

I understand that the Pro Bowl Selection Committe doesn't give a purple poop about character or offseason gunfights. I guess that even though I'm a HUGE fan of ST (on the field), I'm still very, very disappointed in how he handled himself off the field. It's not forgotten. ST got some room for improvement yet!
Ade Jimoh Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:55 PM   #51
Ade Jimoh Fan Club
Special Teams

Also, everyone always gets in a tizzy after the list comes out, but there's a lot more reasons to NOT have Redskins on the team:

1) They could get hurt
2) A lot of the players have pay incentives if they make the Pro Bowl. This means less room in the cap to bring in that stud DE everyone keeps jacking about.
3) It gives them a reason to work harder next year
Old 12-22-2005, 04:57 PM   #52
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Also, everyone always gets in a tizzy after the list comes out, but there's a lot more reasons to NOT have Redskins on the team:

1) They could get hurt
2) A lot of the players have pay incentives if they make the Pro Bowl. This means less room in the cap to bring in that stud DE everyone keeps jacking about.
3) It gives them a reason to work harder next year
Do incentives like that count against the cap?
Old 12-22-2005, 04:57 PM   #53
Southpaw
The Starter

Quote:
Generally, incentives don't count against the cap. They just take money out of the owners pocket.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:58 PM   #54
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Don't read too much into it, dude - I simply don't want any gangstas representing MY Redskins in the Pro Bowl, despite their talent. I want guys like Daryl Green, Art Monk, Clinton Portis (aka class acts) representing us. Guys like Santana Moss, who have turned it around on and off the field - I'm all for that! To me, it doesn't matter how many guys we send; it's quality not quantity.

I understand that the Pro Bowl Selection Committe doesn't give a purple poop about character or offseason gunfights. I guess that even though I'm a HUGE fan of ST (on the field), I'm still very, very disappointed in how he handled himself off the field. It's not forgotten. ST got some room for improvement yet!
I really don't want to start this discussion again, but what makes you think Sean Taylor is a gangsta.

He wasn't convicted of anything yet.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:00 PM   #55
wolfeskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
I posted this in another thread, but it's valid here too.

Atlanta with Vick as the starter: 33-21-1 (61.1 win%)
Atlanta without Vick as the starter: 9-18 (33.3 win%)

i was talking about vick giving the nfc probowl team the best chance to win, not the atlanta falcons.:smashfrea
Old 12-22-2005, 05:00 PM   #56
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
Generally, incentives don't count against the cap. They just take money out of the owners pocket.
I don't know this for a fact, but I would imagine that increases one's base salary as well.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:01 PM   #57
Ade Jimoh Fan Club
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan
I really don't want to start this discussion again, but what makes you think Sean Taylor is a gangsta.

He wasn't convicted of anything yet.

Why would he put himself in that kind of situation?? Agreed he's not been convicted, but if you think he made "role model" decisions that night, we need to talk...

WWAMD?
What Would Art Monk Do?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:04 PM   #58
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
The Pro Bowl is a game that plays to a very empty house. The ratings on TV are only slightly better than for a Ron Popeil infomercial on his new invention - the water soluble life raft.

Essentially, no one gives a rat's ass about this game.

Yet, every year, people get excited about who will go to play in this game that no one cares about and who was wrongfully excluded from playing in this game that no one cares about. I just don't get that.

Sean Taylor had a much better year than Roy Williams did this year. And remember, I'm the guy who thinks Sean Taylor is an unredeemed M E A T H E A D.

Mark Brunell has had a better year than Michael Vick.

Markus Washington deserves some kind of recognition for his play this year - - although I can't find a lot of fault with the OLBs picked for the NFC squad.
You are right to a certain extent.

I have personally attended 8 Pro Bowls. The game is always sold out, and what the league looses in TV viewing is made up for in merchandising and week long player events. The networks take the loss on the viewing part, since they are the ones paying the NFL. NFL gets thier money whether people watch or not.

For me what was more fun than the game, was attending all of the player events during the week leading up tp the game, like the rookie sand flag football game, media day and of course fan day. They have a few golf tourneys too for charity. You pay an outlandish donation and get a round of golf with a pro-bowl player.

But of course, but they league puts so many rules on the play that it can hardly be called an exhibition game.

They are only allowed to run certain defenses, and certain type of blitz's etc. The primary reason being to reduce injuries.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 05:10 PM   #59
Southpaw
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan
I don't know this for a fact, but I would imagine that increases one's base salary as well.
To be a little more specific, incentives that are not LTBE(likely to be earned) do not count against the cap. Since Taylor has never made a Pro Bowl, that would be a non LTBE incentive, and not count against the cap.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:27 PM   #60
D'BOYZ
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins!
Yes, the fans, coaches, and media all agree that he could use an additional game and coaching each year to try to improve his coverage skills.
I'm sorry I know his trashing one of my players but this is some funny shit
D'BOYZ is offline   Reply With Quote