Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Kirk Cousins Expected To Start Sunday

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the decision to shut down RG3 for the rest of the season?
Yes 56 47.46%
No 39 33.05%
Not sure 23 19.49%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #46
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Re: Kirk Cousins Expected To Start Sunday

I expect more of the same from Cousins. Honestly he may have a decent game against ATL in the dome and against that bad defense. It will be interesting to see the kind of effort that the team gives him.

Advertisements
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #47
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Everyone naturally assumes starting Cousins is for two reasons

1- to keep RG3 healthy
2- to showcase Cousins for trade bait

But what if MS is trying to prove to DS that Cousins is better and can lead this team? If Cousins does well and the team wins.... do we keep MS for the final year, drop the read option, and start Cousins?
Absolutely not. Not at this point. And anyway, if MS was trying to prove that particular point, he would have started Cousins at the beginning of the year and not after all of this. This is a big "f-you" from Shanahan to Snyder. This has nothing to do with protecting anybody.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #48
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

@mikefreemanNFL

AFC coach: "Mike Shanahan may never get another head coaching job again. He's acting like a petulant child."
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #49
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary84Clark View Post
Did you not see how Cousins looked wiht taht o-,ine on sunday. Sack fumble Kirk. I guess you don't watch the games. Look at the statements your making you are definitley not the type that actually watches the games.
Um, no cause I bailed at half-time like some other fan here suggested everyone do. lol. So I was surprised to hear the next day that Cousins was put in.

However, it's a difficult situation to put a QB in throwing him in and expecting results when he has not game planned through the week. I know everyone is supposed to be ready at all times but the back up QB get very little reps.

Also maybe now the OL might look a little better, maybe, if they know where the QB is going to be and all they have to do is set up a pocket or push defenders beyond the pocket. RG3 kept leaving the pocket sometimes running right into the pressure.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #50
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
We fans really don't know the whole situation. The media and fan base has made this a 3 ring circus. and what if MS wanted to do this a lot earlier and DS or Allen said no you will play RG3. with nothing to lose why wouldn't you bench the star, and start the back up you wanted all along anyway? If he shines you can say "see I told you so", but if he bombs... oh well you probably were going to get fired anyway.
All reports points towards Snyder being almost 100% hands off, at least this season. I don't even think he has an office at Redskins Park anymore. I feel like Allen is less involved with the Skins than people think. I think he has input but Shanny has the final word.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #51
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
@mikefreemanNFL

AFC coach: "Mike Shanahan may never get another head coaching job again. He's acting like a petulant child."
He doesn't care, he's making sure no one thinks that of Kyle
Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #52
MTK
\m/

Quote:
@mikefreemanNFL

With $35M in his pocket I don't think he cares. He's taking the hit for Kyle.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #53
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What do you know of Kyle's actions in this situation, is this more of the family sticking together than the coach doing whats best for the team?

Also if Shanny thinks its a problem for RG III to have a relationship with his owner, then were is the other side of the coin being that KS is MS's son and may be looking out for him? That is a bigger managerial conflict of interest than the QB having dinner with DS.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #54
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
With $35M in his pocket I don't think he cares. He's taking the hit for Kyle.
Does Kyle realize how much his father loves him? To pretty much destroy his reputation and career to save his son's future?

That and he gets a cool 7 million.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #55
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Absolutely not. Not at this point. And anyway, if MS was trying to prove that particular point, he would have started Cousins at the beginning of the year and not after all of this. This is a big "f-you" from Shanahan to Snyder. This has nothing to do with protecting anybody.
There was rumors at the beginning of the season that the reason RG3 was started was because the NFL wanted him starting ($$$) and it was Mon. night football.

Also I wouldn't have put it past RG3 to have been scared of losing his job as other rumors have surfaced and that he rushed back so he wouldn't lose it.

Yes it is a big F-U, but if pressure has been on to start RG3, now is the perfect time to start Cousins.

You as HC, your job is at stake, the field IS a mess so you have a valid excuse to start the back up that you think is better, so you make the call. One of two things will happen...1- you prove your right and get to stay the final year with back up QB or your fired like you were going to be anyway.

Lets look at the positives.... If nothing else Cousins is getting showcased to be traded AFTER Shanahan is gone. Why would he care? If I was the HC I'd keep playing RG3, keep embarrassing the owner and QB in order to get fired sooner. Plus with no game film Cousins is just another unproven QB. Nice back QB. Atleast if Cousins shines Snyder will have more of a difficult decision to make. Keep the HC and back up QB and leave RG3 benched? maybe trade RG3 to another team for some of our picks back?

I mean if MS is done with the "read option" then maybe its RG3 who's expendable to a team that runs the "read option" say.... the Eagles? Right now MS has 3 games to prove to DS that the option is not the way to go.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #56
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary84Clark View Post
Did you not see how Cousins looked wiht taht o-,ine on sunday. Sack fumble Kirk. I guess you don't watch the games. Look at the statements your making you are definitley not the type that actually watches the games.
Or you could watch RGIII. Hold the ball too long sack fumble. Run with the ball tackle fumble. Throw the ball up for grabs int. etc............................................... ...........................................
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #57
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
What do you know of Kyle's actions in this situation, is this more of the family sticking together than the coach doing whats best for the team?

Also if Shanny thinks its a problem for RG III to have a relationship with his owner, then were is the other side of the coin being that KS is MS's son and may be looking out for him? That is a bigger managerial conflict of interest than the QB having dinner with DS.
I said that you don't ever have a father son combo from day they hired them.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #58
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Does Kyle realize how much his father loves him? To pretty much destroy his reputation and career to save his son's future?

That and he gets a cool 7 million.
Well, I understand Mike wanting to protect Kyle, since Kyle has a long future ahead of him. Mike has enough money to last him the rest of his life. He probably doesn't need to ever coach again anyway.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #59
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
We have Atlanta which was a playoff team last yr and not really terrible this year, Dallas, and the Giants left to play.

Again what if: Cousins plays well, looks good in a traditional West Coast Offense, and the team wins all 3 games? would that be good enough reason to keep MS one more yr, start Cousins next yr, and only bring someone new in at DC? Then between the draft and the $36 mill upgrade the OL, WR, and defense side of the ball?
In the brief bit that I have seen Cousins this year and last year I do not think he has the big play ability that RG3 has shown from last year and to a much lesser extent this year. While a game manager type of QB can get you to the playoffs I don't think they have what it takes to succeed consistently in todays NFL. I have heard the professionals discuss Cousins quick release and comfort in the pocket and that certainly is a plus in his favor. On the other side I am concerned of some of the habits that RG3 has been developing this year like not stepping into throws. Yes he is young but he is getting to an age where habits become more challenging to break.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #60
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thats heartwarming. What a great fucking guy

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote