Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Who are your starting Safeties

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Who should be the starting safeties (select 2)
DeJon Gomes 3 3.09%
Brandon Meriweather 85 87.63%
Jordan Pugh 2 2.06%
Reed Doughty 14 14.43%
Baccari Rambo 76 78.35%
Tanard Jackson 12 12.37%
Not on team yet 2 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #46
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
What's the chance Amerson starts at one of the 2 CB positions? Anybody going for a bold prediction that amerson wins a starting job? I think it's 50 percent right now.
Based on what I've seen from him and the uncertainty of Josh Wilson making the roster, I could easily see Amerson starting. His potential is much great than Josh's right now. Plus his size is much better for the WRs of the NFC East than Wilson.

Advertisements
Old 08-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #47
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

An update on Meriweather's practice time:

Quote:
Strong safety Brandon Meriweather won't play Monday, but he did participate in four consecutive days of practice, albeit on the practice team. But that represents progress for Meriweather, who had been in and out of workouts while recovering from last season's ACL surgery.
Redskins' practice notes - NFC East Blog - ESPN
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #48
warriorzpath

I think in the first game against Vick and Chip Kelly's fast-paced offense, Rambo should sit the entire game. Reed or Gomes should start at Strong Safety and Merriweather at Free Safety. Rambo will be too much of a liability against Vick.

With Reed or Gomes, there is a good chance that Vick gets roughed up and hurt. I would also start Amerson over Josh Wilson based on his size and more physical play. This would be my answer to that fast-paced offense - agressive, physical tacklers (especially in the secondary). This would eventually wear and slow them down physically and negate the offense's effectiveness.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #49
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
I think in the first game against Vick and Chip Kelly's fast-paced offense, Rambo should sit the entire game. Reed or Gomes should start at Strong Safety and Merriweather at Free Safety. Rambo will be too much of a liability against Vick.

With Reed or Gomes, there is a good chance that Vick gets roughed up and hurt. I would also start Amerson over Josh Wilson based on his size and more physical play. This would be my answer to that fast-paced offense - agressive, physical tacklers (especially in the secondary). This would eventually wear and slow them down physically and negate the offense's effectiveness.
Why would you think that Rambo would be a liability but not Amerson? Both are rookies and will be game-planned against for the first time; most likely neither will look good the first game. Anyway, even if Rambo would be a big liability, I would much rather start him than Gomes or even Doughty. If Rambo gets burned a couple of times, it will be a good learning experience. Gomes is a scrub and I don't want Doughty on the field unless he's needed. I think Rambo and Amerson should both start.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #50
warriorzpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
Why would you think that Rambo would be a liability but not Amerson? Both are rookies and will be game-planned against for the first time; most likely neither will look good the first game. Anyway, even if Rambo would be a big liability, I would much rather start him than Gomes or even Doughty. If Rambo gets burned a couple of times, it will be a good learning experience. Gomes is a scrub and I don't want Doughty on the field unless he's needed. I think Rambo and Amerson should both start.
Based on preseason play, Amerson has looked more than solid against good players and Rambo looks to be a big liability in the run game. He will be very risky against the eagles running game with Vick and McCoy. Being a rookie adds to that risk in the passing game especially at safety. Safety usually provides the help to other teammates and thus doesn't receive a lot of it (help). Amerson is playing at a higher level than Rambo right now and seems to be gaining confidence and getting better - in both the running and passing game. At the very least Reed Doughty provides a sure and physical tackler that would help contain Vick in the running and also use in blitz packages. The improved Redskins pass rush will also help Doughty in the passing game.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #51
warriorzpath

Also, by nature of positions, it is much riskier to start a rookie Safety than a rookie Corner. There are more responsibilities that involve the defense as a whole. And if Rambo is a liability now without gameplanning against him, I would think it would be riskier to start him once they start (gameplanning).
Old 08-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #52
warriorzpath

... and to be clear, I'm not down on Rambo's potential. I'm just down on him early on because of his steep learning curve and inexperience as a rookie.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #53
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Rambo definitely has a long way to go, and if he doesn't get up to speed it'll be a long season back there. Wondering if we should have transitioned Hall to safety more and more. Oh well, too late now.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #54
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

rambo had a nice play causing the turnover last night. learning curves at every position, he will get burnt sometimes, but I like the confidence the coaching staff is putting in him right now. Im sure there is a plan.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #55
warriorzpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
rambo had a nice play causing the turnover last night. learning curves at every position, he will get burnt sometimes, but I like the confidence the coaching staff is putting in him right now. Im sure there is a plan.
I think there's a reason why the position was named: Safety. It's the last line of defense, and it is the position that needs to be most consistent. A safety can't afford a big mistake on the same play that another player makes a big mistake because that usually means touchdown for the other team - ie: Orakpo and Rambo on Chris Johnson's long touchdown run. That's too easy for the other team. And in the case of the eagles, the redskins need to beat them down and keep them there so it sets the tone for both the redskins and eagles season.

A touchdown run like Chris Johnson's run would give the eagles hope for the game and maybe even for the season. And just because Rambo played.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #56
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

I think right now, Madieu Williams and Rambo are the same player. The difference is that Madieu was only getting worse and Rambo can only get better.

I just hope Rambo isn't a practice star that doesn't show up come game time.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #57
JoLo
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I think right now, Madieu Williams and Rambo are the same player. The difference is that Madieu was only getting worse and Rambo can only get better.

I just hope Rambo isn't a practice star that doesn't show up come game time.
Rambo has a way to go, but he will most certainly be better then Madieu at playing deep centerfield/over the top coverage. If there was one thing he was known for at college it was his deep cover skills and he should create turnovers for us which Madieu rarely did. So i am happy we have a new face back there.
JoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #58
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
I think there's a reason why the position was named: Safety. It's the last line of defense, and it is the position that needs to be most consistent. A safety can't afford a big mistake on the same play that another player makes a big mistake because that usually means touchdown for the other team - ie: Orakpo and Rambo on Chris Johnson's long touchdown run. That's too easy for the other team. And in the case of the eagles, the redskins need to beat them down and keep them there so it sets the tone for both the redskins and eagles season.

A touchdown run like Chris Johnson's run would give the eagles hope for the game and maybe even for the season. And just because Rambo played.
If you honestly think Doughty has a chance against Johnson, you are sadly mistaken. Doughty would never get to Johnson to force a cutback if he is in pass protection to start the play. Rambo at least gets there, he just needs to learn angles at pro speed. Doughty excels against the run when he starts the play in the box, but is a liability on both run and pass when he lines up at center field. Which is why Doughty doesnt play free safety.

That TD by Chris Johnson was not "just because Rambo played". With Vick, Shady, and LaSean on the field, a slow safety is going to be toast the entire game. Especially if Kelly uses them the right way.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #59
Gary84Clark

Rambo has the one essential trait that you can not teach. SPEED.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #60
JoLo
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary84Clark View Post
Rambo has the one essential trait that you can not teach. SPEED.
and a nose for the ball.
JoLo is offline   Reply With Quote