Redskins rookie signing thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #46
MTK
\m/

Re: Redskins rookie signing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Yeah we will see, I hope both can contribute. I certainly dont think either (Robinson, Briscoe) are roster locks. I think Briscoe is overall the better receiver of the 2. As to who pushes them, well one of the 6(including Lance) udfa we've brought in. Not saying these guys are ready to step on the field, but they've been brought in to obviously for the competition.
I think they're camp bodies more than anything. Maybe one will surprise but I can't imagine any big changes to our current group.

Advertisements
Old 05-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #47
Schneed10
A Dude

The only way Robinson gets pushed is if his speed can be challenged. Lance Lewis is a 4.5 guy, slower than Robinson, and some scouting reports say he played slower than that.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #48
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
The only way Robinson gets pushed is if his speed can be challenged. Lance Lewis is a 4.5 guy, slower than Robinson, and some scouting reports say he played slower than that.
well there is no arguing Robinson's great speed and teams having to respect that, but I think Shanny is focusing on an inside slot guy behind santana. Moss is done after this year, and I think that is where the add would be. It possibly could be Briscoe and Robinson fighting for one spot.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #49
RGIII

Aldrick Robinson can run routes and has decent hands. Moss is just a savvy veteran who can't be outdone.

Seems like some fans expect to have everyone on the roster to have "create-a-player" attributes. No Superbowl (or snub) team in the history of the game has had pro-bowl-esque players at every position! Hank doesn't need to catch every ball, Robinson doesn't need to be able to run the entire route tree like AJ Green, and Lewis doesn't need to have sub 4.4 speed in order for us to win it all -- this year. Just take a good look at SB winners of yesteryear; they weren't without flawed players and flawed plays. In my opinion, this Skins team is right on track to putting together a champion.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #50
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
Aldrick Robinson can run routes and has decent hands. Moss is just a savvy veteran who can't be outdone.

Seems like some fans expect to have everyone on the roster to have "create-a-player" attributes. No Superbowl (or snub) team in the history of the game has had pro-bowl-esque players at every position! Hank doesn't need to catch every ball, Robinson doesn't need to be able to run the entire route tree like AJ Green, and Lewis doesn't need to have sub 4.4 speed in order for us to win it all -- this year. Just take a good look at SB winners of yesteryear; they weren't without flawed players and flawed plays. In my opinion, this Skins team is right on track to putting together a champion.
I agree with this overall sentiment, even if I see it as a little overly optimistic. In the end the team is looking for players that give it a strategic advantage in various situations.

Examples:

- The RG3 and Morris combination on zone-reads give an advantage on almost any down, but especially those when the defensive end would be in pass-rush mode

- The change of pace back netted through the Chris Thompson pick forces defenses to respect his speed to bounce

- The speed of Aldrick Robinson and Pierre Garcon forces teams to respect RG3's deep ball

- The resigning of flawed but athletic offensive linemen like Lichtensteiger continues to allow the zone block system to flourish. Ideally our linemen would be quick as cats and able to withstand a bull rush from N Suh, but come on. RG3's mobility mitigates that weakness somewhat.

In a time when we're constrained by the cap penalty we can't have it all. But we can do well with this roster.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #51
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I agree with this overall sentiment, even if I see it as a little overly optimistic. In the end the team is looking for players that give it a strategic advantage in various situations.

Examples:

- The RG3 and Morris combination on zone-reads give an advantage on almost any down, but especially those when the defensive end would be in pass-rush mode

- The change of pace back netted through the Chris Thompson pick forces defenses to respect his speed to bounce

- The speed of Aldrick Robinson and Pierre Garcon forces teams to respect RG3's deep ball

- The resigning of flawed but athletic offensive linemen like Lichtensteiger continues to allow the zone block system to flourish. Ideally our linemen would be quick as cats and able to withstand a bull rush from N Suh, but come on. RG3's mobility mitigates that weakness somewhat.

In a time when we're constrained by the cap penalty we can't have it all. But we can do well with this roster.
Great points, and just adding because I love our offensive combinations

Davis/Reed/Moss force defenses who are already dealing with Alfmo/Garcon to shore up the middle of the field
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #52
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

What is nice is that, unlike two-four years ago ("The Gaffney/Stallworth/Armstrong Years), it is not a one man show (Moss) at the WR position. It is not quite a WR by committee approach but it is close. Our third and fourth WR's would likely be serviceable WR2's on most teams.

Across the board, ShanAllen are increasing the quality depth on this team. It's a good thing.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #53
GridIron26
Playmaker

Redskins sign seventh-round RB Jawan Jamison
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #54
That Guy
Living Legend

I dunno, i think people are over rating our WRs due to griffin and the run game we've got going. garcon is legit. everyone else is take it or leave it, but i don't see any legit #2s on most teams here. LH? moss? maybe a couple years ago. we have a #1.5 WR in garcon and a bunch of #3's. depth is good, but I wouldn't be surprised if we signed another good WR next year.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #55
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I dunno, i think people are over rating our WRs due to griffin and the run game we've got going. garcon is legit. everyone else is take it or leave it, but i don't see any legit #2s on most teams here. LH? moss? maybe a couple years ago. we have a #1.5 WR in garcon and a bunch of #3's. depth is good, but I wouldn't be surprised if we signed another good WR next year.
Well I for one don't think we have a legit #2, so I don't feel like I'm overrating them. However, I don't think we need a legit #2. We were what, the 4th best offense last year? We did that behind the most bad ass rushing attack in the NFL.

Again, you can win with warts. You do what you do and you do it well. You run Morris and RG3 on the zone read, and you have enough speed and depth at WR and TE to make teams pay for cheating up to stop your running game. You can have the 4th best offense in the league, even with Tyler Polumbus as your RT.

You just pray RG3 is healthy enough to do it.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #56
RGIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Whatever man.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #57
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
Whatever man.
Yeah, great point. Im sure when discussing the receiving corp of the greatest franchise in the history of sports, Bruce and Shanny just say whatever man and shrug their shoulders. enlightening

He Gets Us
Old 05-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #58
MTK
\m/

We had 3 guys last year over 40 catches and Hankerson was right there with 38. Garcon and Morgan should both be healthier this year and we're getting Davis back and Reed has been added to the mix. Not sure what the squabbling is all about really. We've got some playmakers.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #59
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
We had 3 guys last year over 40 catches and Hankerson was right there with 38. Garcon and Morgan should both be healthier this year and we're getting Davis back and Reed has been added to the mix. Not sure what the squabbling is all about really. We've got some playmakers.
no squabbling, just trying to convince RGIII I expect probowlers at every WR position.

Just convo on if last couple spots could be challenged. Our staters and core guys will be fine.

offseason

He Gets Us
Old 05-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #60
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Random thought:

You ever noticed how Shanahan will say about 80-90% of the time after the draft that they had a player pegged to go a few rounds earlier. You think he's saying that just because he wants the fans to feel better about a player or that he actually did have a player pegged to go a few rounds earlier?

Heres one example. He said after we drafted Jawan Jamison that he had a 4th round grade on him. Well why didn't shanahan draft him in say the 5th round? or even the 6th? Sure we didn't need him, but Shanahan said he likes to go for best available (or is it best available of need?)