Best Head Coaches Currently In The NFL

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #46
donofriose
The Starter

Re: Best Head Coaches Currently In The NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
A lot of players bought into his scheme. Jason Taylor and LaDainian Tomlinson both said they went to the Jets because of Rex (mind you this is the same LT and JT that called Sanchez bad and Santonio Holmes a locker room problem; they know what they're talking about). He can coach, the problem is he doesn't have a QB. Rex knows he made a mistake with drafting Sanchez and that he's tied to Sanchez until a new QB proves to be better. I guarantee you that if Rex had a QB we'd be talking about how he is a definite top 5 coach.
Well, coaches usually only get one chance with a quarterback, so he decided to roll with Sanchez and it should and probably will cost him his job at the end of this year. He did treat Sanchez like a princess which caused huge locker room problems. He would not be a top 5 coach (maybe a top 5 coach that has not won a superbowl but not a top 5 overall coach), but he would be more highly respected than he is now. Players bought into his system the first couple of years, but after that everyone was reporting how the Jets had the worst locker room in the NFL, which is Ryan's responsibility. People also forget that he took over a team that had a winning record the year before. It wasn't like he took over a team that had 5 consecutive losing seasons.

He is definitely more bark than bite but he will get his chance somewhere else, which I hope will be the Cowboys because it just fits, just because they are both on TV a lot but produce mediocre results. But he is definitely a second/third tier coach, Andy Reid and Lovie Smith made the playoffs the last year Ryan took a team to the playoffs and they were both fired. He isn't in the same class as Coughlin, Belichick, McCarthy, Payton, Tomlin or the Haurbaugh brothers.

In the end Ryan knows how to coach a defense but has not shown the ability to coach a team. Maybe a new team would be all he would need to prove that wrong.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #47
seahawks49ers
Camp Scrub

Hi..
Best Head Coaches Currently In The NFL Redskins "Mike Shanahan"..
seahawks49ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #48
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
What do yall think?

Give me your top 5 now and then give me someone new who we will be talking about years from now.

Currently:

1. Bill Belichick
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Mike Tomlin
4. Tom Coughlin
5. Sean Payton

Underrated: Marvin Lewis

Next great new head: Greg Shiano

Who you got?
Tomlin seems to have developed a habit of not having the Steelers ready to play at crucial times.

I used to think Marvin Lewis was the worst coach at any level of football until Rex Ryan came along.

I'd take Tomlin out of your list, move Coughlin & Payton up one slot and put Shanny in at #5.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #49
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Lewis deserves credit for having so little support for so many years in the Bengals organization
Well then add Norv Turner to the list using that criteria of longevity and a bad GM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #50
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Well then add Norv Turner to the list using that criteria of longevity and a bad GM.
Not at all the same
Old 05-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #51
donofriose
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Tomlin seems to have developed a habit of not having the Steelers ready to play at crucial times.

I used to think Marvin Lewis was the worst coach at any level of football until Rex Ryan came along.

I'd take Tomlin out of your list, move Coughlin & Payton up one slot and put Shanny in at #5.
Tomlin has been to the playoffs 4 out of 6 times, has been to two superbowls and won one. He is still an elite coach and still above Shanahan in my opinion, seeing as how Shanahan is still not above .500 in Washington and has not won a playoff game in Washington. But hopefully next year he proves me wrong. Steelers are always in contention, they will probably be a playoff team again next year.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #52
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
Tomlin has been to the playoffs 4 out of 6 times, has been to two superbowls and won one. He is still an elite coach and still above Shanahan in my opinion, seeing as how Shanahan is still not above .500 in Washington and has not won a playoff game in Washington. But hopefully next year he proves me wrong. Steelers are always in contention, they will probably be a playoff team again next year.
Tomlin had the benefit of taking over an established team with a strong front office vs. the train wreck Shanahan took over.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #53
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Tomlin had the benefit of taking over an established team with a strong front office vs. the train wreck Shanahan took over.
Having the best defensive coordinator in the game helps too. But what impressed me with Tomlin is the team seemed to get better after Cowher left. I really never thought much of the Steelers as a force back under iron jaw. Solid team, but beatable. Tomlin's team seem better prepared and dangerous in every facet of the game.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #54
donofriose
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I agree with that, I am just saying Shanahan has taken the Skins to the playoffs once, lost in the first round and Redskins fans already think he is a top 5 coach in the NFL. I like the direction but I still need to see more from Shanahan and the team before I put him above coaches that have recent superbowl wins and have been in superbowl contention for the past 5 years. I could easily see the redskins missing the playoffs especially with RG3's questionable health. But I like I said I like the direction the team is heading in.

There have been quite a few coaches that have turned around bad teams and looked good for a year and then the team ends up sinking badly... Schartz, Morris, and Whisenhunt come to mind. So lets just calm down with annointing Shanahan a top 5 coach after one playoff appearance.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #55
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
I agree with that, I am just saying Shanahan has taken the Skins to the playoffs once, lost in the first round and Redskins fans already think he is a top 5 coach in the NFL. I like the direction but I still need to see more from Shanahan and the team before I put him above coaches that have recent superbowl wins and have been in superbowl contention for the past 5 years. I could easily see the redskins missing the playoffs especially with RG3's questionable health. But I like I said I like the direction the team is heading in.

There have been quite a few coaches that have turned around bad teams and looked good for a year and then the team ends up sinking badly... Schartz, Morris, and Whisenhunt come to mind. So lets just calm down with annointing Shanahan a top 5 coach after one playoff appearance.
Does the fact that he's had a stellar coaching career prior to coming to our "train wreck" matter at all? I mean he's a Super Bowl winner! To base his standing as an NFL coach just on what he's done here undervalues his coaching career.

So yes, in my opinion he belongs on that top 5 list...
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #56
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Having the best defensive coordinator in the game helps too. But what impressed me with Tomlin is the team seemed to get better after Cowher left. I really never thought much of the Steelers as a force back under iron jaw. Solid team, but beatable. Tomlin's team seem better prepared and dangerous in every facet of the game.
Tomlin's team last year was not better prepared and in big games just didnt seem ready to play. I have a lot of friends in Pgh and there was a lot of grumbling about Tomlin not having the team ready.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #57
over the mountain
Playmaker

I dont know what exactly John Harbough does in baltimore.

He was a special teams coach before the Ravens tapped him to be their HC (their second choice).

He doesnt call the O or D plays. (I believe he has 0 input as well)

I assume he has some input on the overall gameplans but before Calwell took over, Cameron made it very clear that the entire offensive scheme and play calls was his and his alone (much to his demise and stubborness).

Baltimore media does give him credit for having an "open grievance" meeting with players mid-way through the season where alot of players (like the recently cut Pollard) spoke openly and bluntly to John about what they dont like. Reports are that Harbaugh let the players vent w/out reprecussion . . and vent they did.

Reprecussions didnt come until the offseason.

I suppose he gets credit for ultimately axing Cameron .. conflicting reports about whether that was all harbaugh decision, all Bischotti decision or a harbaugh-newsome-bischotti decision.

I get that they just won the SB and have been to the playoffs all 5 years of his HC tenure . . . i just dont get what exactly he does.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #58
That Guy
Living Legend

being a head coach is about leadership. if you don't call the plays, but the plays are working, who cares?

rex has lead his team into being a bunch of egos that have more hype than substance. coughlin runs a much tighter ship. zorn let people walk over him.

as long as you employ the right people and make the important calls (like firing an O coordinator that isn't working) at the right times... well, that's why you're there.

part of why a lot of coordinators fail as head coaches is because a different skill set is required. X's and O's is still important, but it's a secondary skill at that point.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #59
MTK
\m/

As a HC you have input in every aspect of the team. Just because he doesn't call plays doesn't mean he's not involved.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #60
over the mountain
Playmaker

yeah, i suppose and I hear what you two are saying.

I listen to baltimore sports talk radio on my daily commutes, it seems John does less than most other "hands off" head coaches.

I prefer the Xs and Os type head coach. I hate belicheck but it seems his intelligence and success can be traced to his roots as a low end video guy who would compile weekly video clips of the opponents to help the coordinators identify weaknesses and strengths.