Full Blown Mutiny

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-23-2005, 09:49 PM   #46
KLHJ2
Inactive

Re: Full Blown Mutiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
Wow! I can't believe how quickly people have turned against Smoot, Pierce, Samuels, and Coles. All those guys were praised and loved by so many 'Skins fans.

Can anyone honestly blame Coles for feeling frustrated? He's played his ass off for a team that has won 11 of 32 games since he's been here, he was totally misused last season as a possession reciever, and the wide receiving corps was a patsy for our troubles in 2004. I don't blame him for wanting to move on.

As for Pierce and Smoot, can anyone honestly say they wouldn't try to get the most money they could. If you had the opportunity to earn several million dollars more by playing for another team, wouldn't you try to hit free agency? Neither of these guys are from D.C., they don't have any previous connection to the team, and they know they're about to hit the lottery. I can't say that we should be pissed at them for wanting to get the most money they can. Any player (or person) who says he doesn't care about money is crazy or a liar.
Honestly if I were one of these guys I wouldnt give a damn how much money I made, as long as I was making a living playing football. The one job in the world that to this day I still wish that I could have. My attention would be on winning games as opposed to how many more millions I can get in a year, or how many catches, or how many yards. But I am not one of these players nor will I ever be.
I would say that those overpayed palyers should take some time out to think about the people who don't make as much money. Or even contemplate how much other people will (no matter how bad the team is)give almost anything just to be given the opportunity to play the game professionally. But, that is probly too much to ask. They have already walked in our shoes once and they are not comming back. Greed has taken over, and the team that gave you your first shot at the pros isnt good enough anymore. You have proved your worth, and you are going to get yours no matter what.
The one thing that I am gratefuly for is that our United States Service Men and Women do not often trade teams as often just because someone is flashing dollar signs in there faces. I am also glad tht they do not have greedy agents.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2005, 10:24 PM   #47
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I can understand Coles' frustrations, but I really don't understand his decision making in this situation.

He's well paid, he's caught over 170 passes in his two seasons here, and he would stand to receive just as much work next season if not more especially with the departure of Gardner. Dude caught 90 balls this year, don't tell me he doesn't get enough work. And if anyone thinks for a second we're going to see the same offense again next year you're seriously smoking something. Gibbs knows the offense was what held the team back this year, do you really think he's not going to make any changes?

Back on Coles, like I said before, what happens when he goes somewhere else and gets frustrated? Will he look to back out of another deal with someone else?
This is exactly what I'm saying...

I mean catching 90 balls and you're unhappy with the offense? I said this in another post and I'll say it again.

Can your feet just not cut it anymore Coles?!?

I mean 90 freakin' catches!! Not to mention the couple dozen or so thrown to him by limp-wristed bitch-ass Mark Brunell. If he's not happy with that type of "look" his way during a game, how the hell else is he going to be happy??
Old 02-23-2005, 10:26 PM   #48
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg
Honestly if I were one of these guys I wouldnt give a damn how much money I made, as long as I was making a living playing football. The one job in the world that to this day I still wish that I could have. My attention would be on winning games as opposed to how many more millions I can get in a year, or how many catches, or how many yards. But I am not one of these players nor will I ever be.
I would say that those overpayed palyers should take some time out to think about the people who don't make as much money. Or even contemplate how much other people will (no matter how bad the team is)give almost anything just to be given the opportunity to play the game professionally. But, that is probly too much to ask. They have already walked in our shoes once and they are not comming back. Greed has taken over, and the team that gave you your first shot at the pros isnt good enough anymore. You have proved your worth, and you are going to get yours no matter what.
The one thing that I am gratefuly for is that our United States Service Men and Women do not often trade teams as often just because someone is flashing dollar signs in there faces. I am also glad tht they do not have greedy agents.
Amen to that. A few million more?! I mean people are SUPPOSED to be in this game for the love of it. I mean I would at LEAST hope that the love would at LEAST be 51% of the drive of a pro-athlete. If the desire for money outweighs the love of the game, then I don't see why there is any passion left in sports.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:32 PM   #49
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

A lot of people in careers outside of sports are in it because they love it, yet they still try to maximize their worth monetarily when the opportunity arises
Old 02-23-2005, 10:35 PM   #50
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I feel that when you're maximizing your worth at the expense of your word THAT is when the scales are tipped in favor of playing for money and not for the love of the game.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:52 PM   #51
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
A lot of people in careers outside of sports are in it because they love it, yet they still try to maximize their worth monetarily when the opportunity arises
And that is why the Japaneese are better businessmen than we are. Loyalty to the company as opposed to loyalty to self and money.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:21 PM   #52
Longtimefan
Playmaker

I'm of the opinion this guy should be made to play out the contract he signed two years ago and cry the blues all he wants when he's finished. Either he play out the cantract' or he shouldn't be allowed to play for anyone else.Personally I would not want the guy playing for me because what guarantee do I have that in two years he's not satisfied with the way I run my offense and decides he wants to cut a simular tune?

There's far too much of this kind of attitude in professional sports anymore and it should not be allowed, though I don't know what you do to stop it espically when a player can pull this kind of act and there's some other team just waiting to give him an opportunity to do the same thing to them.

I've been a fan of Pro-Football since 1948 and I have never seen the likes of many of the things that are allowed to go on in the game today. In the day when football was "Football" Mr. Coles would play for the Redskins or he "would not" play for anyone. Back to the day is the only way to rid the league of this type nonsense, because I would be afraid to think of what would happen to a team with 53 Mr. Coles on it. When you don't like the way things are going, hold the team hostage by making unreasonable demands. I would not even consider trading Mr. Coles, or allowing him out of his contract even if it cost me money. Because if you do this you open the door for a lot of other little Coles to do the same thing in the future. There's much too much of this kind of thing going on in the league now days anyway, and I just think someone should take a stand and say enough is enough.

Good Luck Skins!! Things will look up in 05
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:31 PM   #53
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

damn, a fan since 1948! You aren't kidding when you say longtimefan
Old 02-23-2005, 11:32 PM   #54
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan
I'm of the opinion this guy should be made to play out the contract he signed two years ago and cry the blues all he wants when he's finished. Either he play out the cantract' or he shouldn't be allowed to play for anyone else.Personally I would not want the guy playing for me because what guarantee do I have that in two years he's not satisfied with the way I run my offense and decides he wants to cut a simular tune?

There's far too much of this kind of attitude in professional sports anymore and it should not be allowed, though I don't know what you do to stop it espically when a player can pull this kind of act and there's some other team just waiting to give him an opportunity to do the same thing to them.

I've been a fan of Pro-Football since 1948 and I have never seen the likes of many of the things that are allowed to go on in the game today. In the day when football was "Football" Mr. Coles would play for the Redskins or he "would not" play for anyone. Back to the day is the only way to rid the league of this type nonsense, because I would be afraid to think of what would happen to a team with 53 Mr. Coles on it. When you don't like the way things are going, hold the team hostage by making unreasonable demands. I would not even consider trading Mr. Coles, or allowing him out of his contract even if it cost me money. Because if you do this you open the door for a lot of other little Coles to do the same thing in the future. There's much too much of this kind of thing going on in the league now days anyway, and I just think someone should take a stand and say enough is enough.

Good Luck Skins!! Things will look up in 05
I love it when veteran fans tell there war stories. I agree with him. Screw the whiny little sissy Coles get some real men who want to play.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:37 PM   #55
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

In all fairness angryssg, loyalty to one's football team isn't the same as loyalty to one's country.

And, while it's easy for us to say we'd all pay for nothing, or even pay to wear a 'Skins' uniform, it's probably a whole different story once you are a professional athlete. I don't believe that greed is something new to people - it's been around as long as people have been around.

Coles will be playing football whether he's a Redskin, Jet, Giant, Cowboy, etc. So, don't you think it's simply realistic for him to want to play for a team where he gets to play to his abilities?
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:38 PM   #56
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

BTW, angryssg, do you know a Col. Bruce Haverty? He was stationed at Ft. Gordon before he shipped out in support of Iraqi Freedom.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:52 PM   #57
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
BTW, angryssg, do you know a Col. Bruce Haverty? He was stationed at Ft. Gordon before he shipped out in support of Iraqi Freedom.
No, sorry I don't. I've only been here since OCT. I was overseas prior.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:17 AM   #58
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

This is somewhat off topic, one thing I thought was odd is football is so often compared to war and the players are seen as soliders. A soldier called a radio station I was listening to, and I've since forgotten the topic, but what stuck with me is how he compared all the people in his squadron, or whatever the small ones are called to players on a football team. I found it somewhat ironic.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:28 AM   #59
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

BTW, squadrons are usually (some special forces have squadrons) either aircraft/helicopter units or armored forces. Soldiers/marines are grouped into teams, squads, platoons, etc.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:27 AM   #60
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

yeah - I always get the terminology mixed up.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote