McIntosh & Landry

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #46
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Re: McIntosh & Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
could horton play free? switchin it up every so often to utilize both of their skills
I've wondered myself, but it's probably unlikely we'll see a rook @ the FS spot (Landry was an anomaly because of the tragedy last year). I've been thinking forward to '09 a bit and wonder if Springs may return as a safety for us. I think he needs to finish this season very strong for that to be a possibility, but it may create opportunity for some fierce packages w/ Springs, Landry and Horton all on the field together.

... part of my thinking here is that in our system w/ FS as a center fielder Landry is somewhat under-utilized per his insane skills and penchant for contact. Strong safety may be a better fit for him though I'm just speculating. Meanwhile, our corners play extremely physical ball in a brutal division. That's tough on a guy like Springs who has all the talent in the world but doesn't do so well w/ the wear-and-tear. Again, if he can finish strong and then do the right thing by accepting a less lucrative contract Springs could make a great FS in our system: he probably has better hands than Landry, he's very quick, has great vision to make plays on the ball, and he will lay the wood when the opportunity is there. Landry could start @ SS w/ Horton coming in (frequently) on packages. Just a thought.

Advertisements
Old 11-11-2008, 10:39 PM   #47
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I've wondered myself, but it's probably unlikely we'll see a rook @ the FS spot (Landry was an anomaly because of the tragedy last year). I've been thinking forward to '09 a bit and wonder if Springs may return as a safety for us. I think he needs to finish this season very strong for that to be a possibility, but it may create opportunity for some fierce packages w/ Springs, Landry and Horton all on the field together.

... part of my thinking here is that in our system w/ FS as a center fielder Landry is somewhat under-utilized per his insane skills and penchant for contact. Strong safety may be a better fit for him though I'm just speculating. Meanwhile, our corners play extremely physical ball in a brutal division. That's tough on a guy like Springs who has all the talent in the world but doesn't do so well w/ the wear-and-tear. Again, if he can finish strong and then do the right thing by accepting a less lucrative contract Springs could make a great FS in our system: he probably has better hands than Landry, he's very quick, has great vision to make plays on the ball, and he will lay the wood when the opportunity is there. Landry could start @ SS w/ Horton coming in (frequently) on packages. Just a thought.
I like the way you think Goat. I think when they brought Hall in and talked about Springs playing some safety, thats exactly what they had in mind. Landry plays FS because he does it better than any of our other safties but it takes away his skill at blitzing and crushing runners close to the line. Putting Springs in at FS would allow Landry to play up at the line and create more havoc. It would only happen in certain packages and would probably be very effective. Unfortunately I believe Springs feels he has a few more years at corner and should be paid as one of the top corners in the league. I wish he would restructure his contract but he has considered retirement and may feel that with only 3 or so more years to get this kind of money, if the Redskins don't give it to him, somebody else will. With his past injury history it would definitely be nice if he were to reconsider and restructure his contract and accept more of a limited role with this defense. Especially since he doesn' seem capable of giving us a full season anymore. With a "cobra" package of Springs, Landry, and Horton....damn man, I'd like to see that!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #48
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I must say, I wouldn't mind having Springs as a Safety, especially if we make to the playoffs. Horton has been great and performed well beyond expectations. However, I wouldn't mind having Springs in the mix during a big playoff game.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:44 PM   #49
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I like the way you think Goat. I think when they brought Hall in and talked about Springs playing some safety, thats exactly what they had in mind. Landry plays FS because he does it better than any of our other safties but it takes away his skill at blitzing and crushing runners close to the line. Putting Springs in at FS would allow Landry to play up at the line and create more havoc. It would only happen in certain packages and would probably be very effective. Unfortunately I believe Springs feels he has a few more years at corner and should be paid as one of the top corners in the league. I wish he would restructure his contract but he has considered retirement and may feel that with only 3 or so more years to get this kind of money, if the Redskins don't give it to him, somebody else will. With his past injury history it would definitely be nice if he were to reconsider and restructure his contract and accept more of a limited role with this defense. Especially since he doesn' seem capable of giving us a full season anymore. With a "cobra" package of Springs, Landry, and Horton....damn man, I'd like to see that!
I bet you're right about Springs still wanting to cash in, and i'm afraid he'll test the market before restructuring and playing FS for us. Thing is, i just don't see any team out there paying him close to his current contract (8 million/year or something close). He's just not durable as a starting corner, especially in a tough division like the nfc east.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:10 AM   #50
53Fan
Franchise Player

Who is Laron Landry? YouTube - Laron Landry is coming undone Turn your speakers on.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #51
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

I notice a lot of people have been pretty hard on our D-Line over the course of this thread. The funny thing is the D-Line is playing pretty good themselves and deserve a good part of the credit for our fourth ranked defnese. The problem is getting pressure against teams not named the Steelers, but still they contantly are able to knock down passes and teams generally don't enjoy running against them, even Andre Carter who plays his ass off against the run. In fact I 'd go so far to say that Andre Carter is a pretty good run stuffer it's just that when he focuses on playing the run he losses some of his ability to get after the QB.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #52
schndr_tdd
Special Teams

shawn springs moving to FS and laron at SS would improve the secondary tremendously.horton in on dime package and nickle packs .springs tackles well and laundry could explode agaist the run and itermediate passing game.horton could ball hawk and come up with the turnovers.
schndr_tdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #53
over the mountain
Playmaker

the SS in our system gets a ton of tackles, from horton and green (less than a week with the team he gets 6 tackles in a game) this year, to arch deluxe (who led the team in tackles after 5-6 games) the SS plays closer to the box than the FS and has the ability to come free to ball runner.

if landry moved to SS he would have 10 plus tackles a game but he is needed to roam the deep end of the pool and the only other person i would trust in that position is springs after he has had time to adjust.

horton is great (that int against cowboys showed his range and play making ability) but i just dont trust him enough to play FS for us yet. winslow broke hortons ankles on a route, thankfully the ball never got to him.

kinda sucks for landry to be put in a position where others get more glory stats but he is needed where he is.

And, as another poster on here stated with stats and rankings, we have given up long pass plays; more than most might think, i know i was surprised when i checked it out a few weeks ago.

Mcintosh has been non-existent but i havent seen him make too many assigment errors either, i was hoping for a big year out of mac but my expectations must be tempered by his injury last year and in college.

go skins!!!
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote