Redskins Sign QB Colt Brennan

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #46
jsarno
Franchise Player

Re: Redskins Sign QB Colt Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I would agree with this. If nothing else, Collins showed last year that he has completely mastered the Saunders offense. In 10 years he never got a significant chance to play. But it stands to reason that had he gotten that shot, he would have displayed the same mastery he did when he played for us last season.
I hate to even point this out cause I agree with the rest of the post, but this is the 2nd time I saw this idea that he never got a "real shot". In 97 he played in 14 games, and started 13. He was named the starter from week 1 that year, and he did not play well at all. In the games that he played in, the team went 5-9. He threw for only 2367 yards, 12 tds, 13 ints, 55% comp., and a 69.5 rating. I will certainly grant you that he was young then (26), and likely not nearly as intelligent as he is now. Just felt like I needed to point out that he did indeed have a shot at one time.

Quote:
However, I do agree with Jsarno when he says that Saunders is no longer the coordinator, which does render last year's performance irrelevant to a certain degree. You can only be confident in Collins as a backup this season if you're confident that he can master the Zorn offense quickly and as effectively as he knew the Saunders offense.

Collins does not have a strong arm. He can't wait for guys to come open. He had to throw before guys made their break. The only way he could do this was by innately knowing when guys were about to break off a route. Is he going to know when Zorn's receivers are going to break their routes, or will he need to hold the ball to be sure they're breaking? And if he does hold the ball, can his arm get the ball into spots where DBs are breaking in response to the WR's move?

One thing Collins has going for him is he's a vet. He's intelligent and will not make rookie mistakes. But, if we have to use him, I'd worry about his ability to make all the throws, because I don't think he can anticipate the breaks in this offense yet. I'd worry about seeing a Mark Brunell year. Very low INTs, but rarely any risks taken because of a lack of confidence in the arm.
Great points.

Quote:
But whatever, because Campbell is going to play all 16 because his line's going to be healthy and will protect him well.
Have you been reading "the secret"? haha.
I certainly share in your optimism here, and I look forward to our new season. Don't forget, we still have Bugel, and he's a great line coach...especially with all the experience our guys have had with him.

Advertisements
Old 07-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #47
skinsfan69
Living Legend

We should've kept around Jordan Palmer. I don't think Colt B. is ever going to be NFL material.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #48
KokoMike
Camp Scrub

Since 93% of fans in the Redskins poll voted that they want Colt to make the team, I think that is a reflection of the great Redskin spirit. I want him to make the team and I want him to excel. If he does, it will possibly push Jason to greater accomplishments and, at the very least, give us options and hope for the future. In the near term, Colt will not be a threat in any way to Jason. I suggest that they will like each other and will help each other. I think it is clear that the people who don't like/respect Colt, for whatever reason, will emphasize any negatives they see. He's fair game. What I am enjoying is that the people who like and respect Colt are raising the bar. The people who don't like him seem to be making a stink about a sixth round draft pick who, in their minds, shouldn't have been drafted at all. Having followed Brennan's development, I can tell you one thing...the guy is going to give it his best and will be a positive in the locker room. That's worth a lot to me.
KokoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #49
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
We should've kept around Jordan Palmer. I don't think Colt B. is ever going to be NFL material.
I'm not sure Jordan Palmer is either. Maybe we should give Colt a chance. I'd have to think he's got more talent than Jordan.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:24 PM   #50
MTK
\m/

Palmer isn't exactly NFL material either at this point.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #51
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KokoMike View Post
Since 93% of fans in the Redskins poll voted that they want Colt to make the team, I think that is a reflection of the great Redskin spirit. I want him to make the team and I want him to excel. If he does, it will possibly push Jason to greater accomplishments and, at the very least, give us options and hope for the future. In the near term, Colt will not be a threat in any way to Jason. I suggest that they will like each other and will help each other. I think it is clear that the people who don't like/respect Colt, for whatever reason, will emphasize any negatives they see. He's fair game. What I am enjoying is that the people who like and respect Colt are raising the bar. The people who don't like him seem to be making a stink about a sixth round draft pick who, in their minds, shouldn't have been drafted at all. Having followed Brennan's development, I can tell you one thing...the guy is going to give it his best and will be a positive in the locker room. That's worth a lot to me.
I'm just not sold on Qb's that play in a 4-5 wr sets and are in shotgun 99.9% of the time. They just never adjust to the pro game. We should've drafted another linemen along the O or D lines. But hopefully the kid will have a strong camp.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #52
miianaboo
Camp Scrub

i love brennan =)

i can never go wrong with campbell tho thas my man.. is brennan 2nd or 3rd string?!

I'm a diehard fan of two teams. The redskins and whoever is beating dallas.
miianaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:15 AM   #53
dmek25
MVP

3rd behind Collins. and welcome to the board
Old 11-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #54
miianaboo
Camp Scrub

Lightbulb Re: Redskins Sign QB Colt Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
3rd behind Collins. and welcome to the board
thankyou =)
I don't like the way collins played preseason... I really wish Brennan was 2nd string, I've loved the kid through his warrior days.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #55
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by miianaboo View Post
thankyou =)
I don't like the way collins played preseason... I really wish Brennan was 2nd string, I've loved the kid through his warrior days.
I think it's moot whether Brennan is 2nd or 3rd. If something happened to JC i bet Collins wouldn't last long before Zorn turned to Colt, and by next season I'll bet Colt is the solid backup (whether Collins is w/ the team or not).

Honestly, I'm excited to see how Colt's career goes. My guess is w/ the right coaching he'll be a franchise QB, just unclear whether he'll be a Redskin.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #56
miianaboo
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I think it's moot whether Brennan is 2nd or 3rd. If something happened to JC i bet Collins wouldn't last long before Zorn turned to Colt, and by next season I'll bet Colt is the solid backup (whether Collins is w/ the team or not).

Honestly, I'm excited to see how Colt's career goes. My guess is w/ the right coaching he'll be a franchise QB, just unclear whether he'll be a Redskin.
I'm unclear/worried about that too. I've loved him since before his redskins debut, and when i found out he was drafted to us i was OVERRRR EXCITED and so happy... i just hope he stays with us. Either way, i just hope he never is the one to replace Tony Homo.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #57
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by miianaboo View Post
thankyou =)
Collins more than earned the right to be #2 based on his leading the team to the playoffs after Campbell went down last year. Colt will get his chance someday, but he shouldn't leapfrog Collins based on pre-season success against a bunch of guys who probably didn't survive the final cut.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote