Obama Clinches Democratic Nomination

Parking Lot

Old 06-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #46
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: Obama Clinches Democratic Nomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What does that even mean? It sounds like you're just regurgitating some campaign slogan you heard somewhere.
No kidding. This stuff is why for the most part I try to stay away from the political threads around here. There are a lot of very well stated, interesting opinions, but some of the stuff makes my head hurt. I love talking politics, but I'd rather do it face to face with family and friends. I find more often than not online political discussions can turn into bar politics- a lot of shouting and force-feeding of view points.

Advertisements
Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #47
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Sounds like someone doesn't like Lou Dobbs.
SGG stated a F Lou Dobbs thread a couple of years ago. And I couldn't agree more. The more I hear the guy talk the more annoyed I get.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:55 AM   #48
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
SGG stated a F Lou Dobbs thread a couple of years ago. And I couldn't agree more. The more I hear the guy talk the more annoyed I get.
My grandmother doesn't like him either.

I don't watch CNN enough to actually state an opinion on him, since I prefer MSNBC.

Care to get a little more in-depth about why you don't care for him? Anyone else feel free to pile on.

From what I've seen of him he comes off as being a little smarmy at times...

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #49
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
do you guys want the war? are you happy with the economy? are you happy with the United States energy policy? are you happy with our foreign policy? the one thing i do know is it will be status quo, if McCain gets elected. every time i hear someone like Obama speak about the middle class, im all ears. for some reason, it seems like one of this administrations goals has been to get rid of the middle class. i can gladly say i never voted for anyone with Bush as a last name
If your all ears when Obama speaks then what are these changes that he is talking about.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #50
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
If your all ears when Obama speaks then what are these changes that he is talking about.
Health care and early education reform. I'm not 100% certain where he intends to get the money from, possibly this unnecessary that is being waged in Middle East, though. (That is no way meant to be sarcasm, I actually don't know where he intends to get the funding)

Just so you know, I'm going to get involved in this discussion, I'm not talking about politics on this board.

Last edited by jdlea; 06-06-2008 at 09:47 AM.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #51
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
My grandmother doesn't like him either.

I don't watch CNN enough to actually state an opinion on him, since I prefer MSNBC.

Care to get a little more in-depth about why you don't care for him? Anyone else feel free to pile on.

From what I've seen of him he comes off as being a little smarmy at times...
I'm more of an MSNBC guy myself. But CNN is what's available here at work (more often than MSNBC is).

Smarmy is a good word to describe Dobbs.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #52
Miller101
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
what are these changes that he is talking about.

What Changes!??!?! Dude! Where have you been? Do you really expect me to believe that you have never listened to one of Obama's speeches? He's made a bunch of them! Hey, if you've been busy or whatever then...........You have an internet connection, just Google Obama and change. You'll have to type it in like this:

Obama Change

Then You'll get a entire list of them!
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #53
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

It has to be about more than speeches. What is so different about Obama's platform from previous democratic platforms? What has Obama done in his brief time as a legislator to accomplish, or at the very least, mobilize change?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #54
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller101 View Post
What Changes!??!?! Dude! Where have you been? Do you really expect me to believe that you have never listened to one of Obama's speeches? He's made a bunch of them! Hey, if you've been busy or whatever then...........You have an internet connection, just Google Obama and change. You'll have to type it in like this:

Obama Change

The reason I ask is because people who back him and say its time for a change nver answer the question as to what or how he is going to change anything. I can answer the question for Obama supporters. Obama thinks that Americia is great because of goverment and not great because of its people. So to make Americia better he want to do a massive expansion of goverment so we are a more dependent upon goverment. The problem is that the goverment seems to mess up every program they develope and it always cost 3, 4 , 5 times more than planned. Just look at social programs and how they have failed over and over again but we just keep throwing money into them and getting the same results. I am taxed to death and I do not need any more failed goverment programs for them to raise my taxes again and again as their cost go up and up. I could go on but this should show how I feel. We live in a Americia and I'm not attacking Obama supports I'm just stating why I do not support him.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #55
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
It has to be about more than speeches. What is so different about Obama's platform from previous democratic platforms? What has Obama done in his brief time as a legislator to accomplish, or at the very least, mobilize change?
I think that is THE definitive question of the upcoming election.

Obama seems to me a lot of sizzle and no steak. The only thing that I can say with any degree of certainty that he does well is make speeches. Granted that's 180 degrees better than Bush, who finds difficulty pronouncing nuclear, but it's not enough to warrant a vote in November. I just don't see the reason for all of the hype. What I am afraid is going to happen, is all of the "hope" and "change" that's being bandied about as if it were a new concept is going to come crashing down upon all of these supposedly newly energized americans that are his base. What happens when all of these vague promises don't amount to anything more than the status quo? Even greater numbers of disillusioned citizens who will find it that much more difficult to get excited or hopeful about anything pertaining to government in the future.

While you can level much of the above at Clinton and McCain, I didn't hear nearly as much hyperbole coming out of their camps. It's going to get a whole lot uglier before it gets better. I'd like to see someone elected who has the fortitude to admit that upfront and then present a clear vision to get us through it. I think we've all had enough of empty promises at best and blatant lies at worst. I'd like to see something from Obama's past to indicate this isn't more of the same.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #56
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Granted that's 180 degrees better than Bush, who finds difficulty pronouncing nuclear,
Don't mis-underestimate Bush, it' part of his strategery.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #57
steveo395
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller101 View Post

Obama Change

Your such a typical Obama supporter. Wow he makes a bunch of great speeches where he talks alot about change and hope, but doesn't actually say anything. He promises to solve everybodys problems and people love it. Then he'll say how he's different from other politicians, even though he isn't. The speeches are just one slogan after another and how Bush is bad and he's going to change, so he must be great. The few ideas he does have aren't new and they are not going to work. Bigger government is not the answer, which is what he wants to do.

Ever see one of his press conferences where he has to apologize for all the nut jobs he's associated with? He's not so articulate then.

Last edited by steveo395; 06-06-2008 at 01:53 PM.
steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #58
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Don't mis-underestimate Bush, it' part of his strategery.
At least we can be guaranteed that our next President won't flat out embarrass himself every time he opens his mouth. But then again Saturday Night Live just won't be the same.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #59
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
At least we can be guaranteed that our next President won't flat out embarrass himself every time he opens his mouth. But then again Saturday Night Live just won't be the same.
You're 100% right. LOL. Will Ferrell did a fantastic Bush impression, no one has done it better. I also agree on Obama or McCain, I don't think either will give SNL too much fuel for the fire.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #60
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
You're 100% right. LOL. Will Ferrell did a fantastic Bush impression, no one has done it better. I also agree on Obama or McCain, I don't think either will give SNL too much fuel for the fire.
That was the one reason I was secretly hoping for Hilary to win. SNL would have been great because they would have been able to bring out Bill every week. Darrell Hammond does a great impression of him.