Advertisements
Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #47
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: LOST (Warning: Possible Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
HO-LEEE CRAP! Awesomeness.
So what do you make of it all. What's going on?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #48
FRPLG
MVP

I haven't a clue. I am worried that there is no real logical explanation. That will be sorta crapy if they just hand it off as science fiction. There needs to be some solid story telling and something believeable. I think the time shift stuff could go great or horrible.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #49
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I haven't a clue. I am worried that there is no real logical explanation. That will be sorta crapy if they just hand it off as science fiction. There needs to be some solid story telling and something believeable. I think the time shift stuff could go great or horrible.
This is interesting:

''Lost'': Checking the time | Lost | Doc Jensen | TV | Entertainment Weekly | 2

But what I can't figure out is when did Desmond "leave Penny and the present"

This episode was awesome though
Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 AM   #50
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
This is interesting:

''Lost'': Checking the time | Lost | Doc Jensen | TV | Entertainment Weekly | 2

But what I can't figure out is when did Desmond "leave Penny and the present"

This episode was awesome though
His timeline is confusing as hell. What with all the back and forth and exploding hatches and running around naked. Confusing isn't even the word for it. They also need to explain what made Penny decide to like him again in 2001. She said Charlie visited but they hadn't even met then. Oh plus the fact that he is dead. But maybe not since Hurley and his fellow mental patient saw him in a flash forward. My head hurts.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:01 AM   #51
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
His timeline is confusing as hell. What with all the back and forth and exploding hatches and running around naked. Confusing isn't even the word for it. They also need to explain what made Penny decide to like him again in 2001. She said Charlie visited but they hadn't even met then. Oh plus the fact that he is dead. But maybe not since Hurley and his fellow mental patient saw him in a flash forward. My head hurts.
Penny said when she talked to charlie,not met him{at least thats what I thought I heard} and I thought she was refering to the underwater communication station where charlie talked to her right before he died
Old 02-29-2008, 08:16 AM   #52
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Penny said when she talked to charlie,not met him{at least thats what I thought I heard} and I thought she was refering to the underwater communication station where charlie talked to her right before he died
True.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #53
onlydarksets
Playmaker

Last night's ep was awesome!

I have a couple of questions, though:
  1. I thought Desmond did the around the world race to get Penny's dad off of their backs, and my recollection was that they were together before he left. That was about 3 years ago. From last night, though, it seems they hadn't spoken for 8 years.
  2. One other thing - if time on the Island moves slower than in the rest of the world, how is it that the same amount of time has passed in both places? The Oceanic survivors believe approximately 100 days have passed since their crash. The plane crashed on 9/24/04, and it's now 12/24/04 in the real world - that's about 100 days (94 to be exact).
Old 02-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #54
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
Last night's ep was awesome!

I have a couple of questions, though:
  1. I thought Desmond did the around the world race to get Penny's dad off of their backs, and my recollection was that they were together before he left. That was about 3 years ago. From last night, though, it seems they hadn't spoken for 8 years.
  2. One other thing - if time on the Island moves slower than in the rest of the world, how is it that the same amount of time has passed in both places? The Oceanic survivors believe approximately 100 days have passed since their crash. The plane crashed on 9/24/04, and it's now 12/24/04 in the real world - that's about 100 days (94 to be exact).
Ahh but there's the rub. I believe the article that SMooty posted mentioned one word: "unstable". I think they are pointing us towards not a place where physics go hay wire but a place physics CAN go hay wire and it CAN affect some people. Hence why this stuff is only happening to some people.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #55
onlydarksets
Playmaker

That might address #1:
Before Desmond travelled to the past, the "present" Danny didn't know who he was. After the moment in the present when Desmond went back and made contact with "past" Danny, "present" Danny seemed to remember him (at least, his journal did).

Assuming actions in the past actually happen concurrently with the present (that is, there is a moment in the present when someone goes into the past, and that is the moment when the timeline changes, as opposed to the timeline changing the memories of people in the present from the moment the past action occurred), that would explain the inconsistencies.

That is, Desmond did communicate with Penny up until 3 years ago. However, when he went into the past, he changed all of that by telling her he would take 8 years to contact her. Of course, that begs the question why he did the race if he wasn't trying to get her dad to leave them alone.

For #2, though, I don't think that addresses it. How can minutes go by like hours, but days are the same?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #56
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

#2 is an assumption that time goes slower. From the EW article, it points the reader to the fact that if Faraday did the experiment again, it would most likely be different. So there could be times where it's slower, the same, or even faster than the real world.

I think the history between his encounter with Penny and the phone number and the sailing race went unaffected. I think the only have to worry about what we saw, as opposed to what happened between then and the island...

The episode was awesome last night. You begin to wonder who destroyed the radio room, and which people are working for who. We see why Jack couldn't get anyone on the horn. I wonder how the people on the freighter will now interact with the group (Charlotte, Daniel, Miles, Frank). And how Sayid and Desmond will continue to help those left on the island.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #57
onlydarksets
Playmaker

OK, so between the time the helicopter left the ship and arrived at the freighter, time moved slower on the island, but it could flip-flop and time could move slower in the real world. That makes "Lost-sense".
Old 02-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #58
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Maybe pushing all those buttons is what kept time off and on the island the same?

Also, is it just a coincidence that 1996 and 2004 are leap years?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #59
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
OK, so between the time the helicopter left the ship and arrived at the freighter, time moved slower on the island, but it could flip-flop and time could move slower in the real world. That makes "Lost-sense".
Actually time went faster.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #60
onlydarksets
Playmaker

Right, faster.