Great Playcalling, Joe

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #46
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Great Playcalling, Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
With the amount of time the defense spent on the feild, and the playcalling of the offense, I think THAT speaks for itself....yeah the defense didnt play great in the second half...but when you're playing for 30 straight mintues, that is going to play a big factor into why you cant play solid defense....
Well, the defense had already racked up 6-7 minutes of time on the field in the third quarter before Campbell and co. even took the field. So if you look at it that way...

The defense played awful from there on out. The offense played awful from there on out. It's encouraging that we apparently got it turned around with 3 mins left, but if your team plays a shitty 27 mins of football, what can you do?
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #47
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I'm not calling for anyone's head. Not at all. I'm just upset about this one.
Yeah, I wasn't saying that towards anyone, just stating my opinion, but I am really upset too. This team just isn't playing as well as I would have hoped. We still got plenty of time to turn it around, but I really doubt we win the division, and I think Ill cry myself to sleep tonight over that.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:57 PM   #48
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Hate to lose a division game at home against a reeling team that we had up against the wall. This should leave a bad taste in the mouths of every player and coach in that locker room. Now they have two weeks to think about how they could have buried the giants in a hole, and instead let them get away with one. All I can say is it doesn't get any easier after this one. These are the games they need to win to compete in this division, and it didn't happen. Enjoy the week off.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:57 PM   #49
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
If you've been around the game so long, Gtripp. How come we hardly even attempted to throw the ball against the worst passing D in the NFL? The run game is important, but after the first two 3 and outs, time to mix it up.
EXACTLY.

Worst passing defense in the league. Why the fuck aren't we passing against them 2 out of 3 downs??? Terrible play calling. Period. I like how people will stick in and defend the playcalling whether it be Joe or Al. It just sucked. Predictable, conservative and it did not take advantage of the defense we were matched up against.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:57 PM   #50
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
If you've been around the game so long, Gtripp. How come we hardly even attempted to throw the ball against the worst passing D in the NFL? The run game is important, but after the first two 3 and outs, time to mix it up.
We did.

If you were watching (or had the internet), you could see that on the first two three and outs of the third quarter, they called four passes and two runs. Campbell looked horrible on those passes. Guess they figured at that point to commit to the running game. I have no problem with that.

The game had already been tied at that point, so I think there was a sense of urgency in the coaches. Did it work? Obviously not, but we ran the ball TWICE (for 11 yards) in the third quarter.

Conservative my ass.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #51
GTripp0012
Living Legend

In fact, the "run, run, pass" playcalling you thought you saw happened a grand total of ONCE the entire game. It appears you're just wrong on this one.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #52
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
In fact, the "run, run, pass" playcalling you thought you saw happened a grand total of ONCE the entire game. It appears you're just wrong on this one.
People love to play the "blame the play calling" card after a loss.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #53
Darrell_Green_28
The Starter

do we know for a fact that gibbs called the plays? why do people call for his head basically just because it LOOKs like a play he would call. How do you know who called what plays? none of us know for sure who call those plays.
Darrell_Green_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #54
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
We did.

If you were watching (or had the internet), you could see that on the first two three and outs of the third quarter, they called four passes and two runs. Campbell looked horrible on those passes. Guess they figured at that point to commit to the running game. I have no problem with that.

The game had already been tied at that point, so I think there was a sense of urgency in the coaches. Did it work? Obviously not, but we ran the ball TWICE (for 11 yards) in the third quarter.

Conservative my ass.
What bothers me is that we did not throw enough mid range stuff. 15-25 yards. JC is not good at that short dump off stuff right now. But he throws some lasers when it's in the mid range. But it looks like we were not taking enough chances with those type of passes. I want to see those passes on first down, not 3rd and long.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #55
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell_Green_28 View Post
do we know for a fact that gibbs called the plays? why do people call for his head basically just because it LOOKs like a play he would call. How do you know who called what plays? none of us know for sure who call those plays.
Gibbs is not calling the plays and hasn't since Saunders got here.

He sure as hell doesn't look like someone calling plays either, anytime they show him on the sidelines he's walking around with his arms crossed.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #56
Darrell_Green_28
The Starter

and maybe the play call was right but wasnt executed right? or someone missed a blocker or something. we can always second guess
Old 09-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #57
Darrell_Green_28
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Gibbs is not calling the plays and hasn't since Saunders got here.

He sure as hell doesn't look like someone calling plays either, anytime they show him on the sidelines he's walking around with his arms crossed.
EXACTLY what i was saying.. people saying it was gibbs calling the plays..
Old 09-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #58
Darrell_Green_28
The Starter

or on that last play maybe if betts hadnt tripped......... maybe???
Old 09-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #59
GusFrerotte

Well we better get a pass rush going gents for the Lions or they are going to beat us at home for the first time since 1967. To be a true winner we need to be hitting on all cylinders for 4 quarters of the game. It is almost like our coaching staff wants to make it a close game or even to lose it. Gibbs II is looking rather shaky right now. We need a convincing win against the Lions after the bye to get things going. IF we lose to the Lions at home for the first time since '67 we are screwed!!!!!!
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #60
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
What bothers me is that we did not throw enough mid range stuff. 15-25 yards. JC is not good at that short dump off stuff right now. But he throws some lasers when it's in the mid range. But it looks like we were not taking enough chances with those type of passes. I want to see those passes on first down, not 3rd and long.
Well, we had receivers running the mid range routes, and in general enough time for Campbell to deliver the ball. Whatever the reason, I think Campbell is man enough to accept the blame for the miscommunications and use it to better himself. I thought he had a horrible half, but he's young and as long as he accepts responsibility for his failures, I see no reason to panic.