Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Bears waive troubled DT Tank Johnson

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Skins take a chance on Tank Johnson?
Yes 40 45.45%
No 48 54.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #46
MTK
\m/

Re: Bears waive troubled DT Tank Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsWill View Post
Well neither was OJ...

This last incident in Arizona is petty. a speeding ticket and being "impaired to the slightest degree" they could say that if he admitted hed even been to a bar. Who gets into trouble with their job for getting a speeding ticket?!?! Granted, his previous charge for the guns does say something about him, at least he didnt use them on anybody. But dont we have the right to bare arms in this country? I know they should have been registered. But compared to Pacturd and Henry... this is not even in the same range of problems.
Petty or not when you're already on thin ice with the league and with the legal system it makes any offense a significant one. The guy just doesn't get it at all. I'm amazed that some people would want this guy. Would you want to work with a guy like this?

Advertisements
Old 06-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #47
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
First off, Lewis wasn't convicted of anything.

Tank on the other hand is a thug, plain and simple. He's one F up away from a season long ban from the NFL and probably prison time.
Well, actually, he pled guilty to obstruction of justice. It was clearly one of those situations where everybody knew he was involved but (in part due to his obstruction) the actual part he played was never really demonstrated. But for those who followed it, Lewis almost certainly didn't kill anyone but gave a lift to the killer or someone who participated in the fight w/ the killer and then helped that person dispose of/destroy his bloody clothes.

No doubt in my mind, given the facts that came out, Ray Lewis would have gotten a suspension had Goodell been Commissioner. Don't kid yourself - In the offseason, Lewis was every bit the thug, out all hours with his posse. He was, however, a workaholic during the season.

Don't forget Jamal Lewis who was convicted of conspiracy and served time. Again, I think he would get a suspension also.

It's a different world in the NFL for players. Unless they start penalizing teams, however, it's really not going to change.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #48
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Well, actually, he pled guilty to obstruction of justice. It was clearly one of those situations where everybody knew he was involved but (in part due to his obstruction) the actual part he played was never really demonstrated. But for those who followed it, Lewis almost certainly didn't kill anyone but gave a lift to the killer or someone who participated in the fight w/ the killer and then helped that person dispose of/destroy his bloody clothes.

No doubt in my mind, given the facts that came out, Ray Lewis would have gotten a suspension had Goodell been Commissioner. Don't kid yourself - In the offseason, Lewis was every bit the thug, out all hours with his posse. He was, however, a workaholic during the season.

Don't forget Jamal Lewis who was convicted of conspiracy and served time. Again, I think he would get a suspension also.

It's a different world in the NFL for players. Unless they start penalizing teams, however, it's really not going to change.
By 'anything' I meant he wasn't convicted of murder. I wouldn't put Lewis in the same class of thug as Tank though. Yeah Lewis was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but he seems to have cleaned up his act since then. Tank just doesn't seem to have the IQ to be able to turn his life around. He'll end up dead or in prison.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:46 AM   #49
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Let's not forget that Tank already served prison time. I wouldn't want him here because the fact that he won't change. He thinks that it is a game and he should be casted aside like a pile of rancid taco meat.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:49 AM   #50
skinsWill
Special Teams

Im just showing both sides Matty, but when you get this much pub. over a speeding ticket... A SPEEDING TICKET!!!! its gone too far. which was the only citation he recieved if im not mistaken. Granted the man should have enough money to hire a whole fleet of cars and drivers, and not put himself in that position this close removed from his prison stay. As far as the guns go, I said it before it speaks volumes about his character, but the only thing that was ILLEGAL is that they werent registered. I just moved down to Texas and i was shocked at the amount of guns and ammo everyone has down here... it speaks volumes about their character... but since they are registered its not illegal... its just overboard in my opinion... but down here my opinion is the minority.
skinsWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #51
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
First off, Lewis wasn't convicted of anything.

Tank on the other hand is a thug, plain and simple. He's one F up away from a season long ban from the NFL and probably prison time.
Well which is worse? Covering up a murder where two guys were beaten and stabbed to death in the street? Or getting busted with guns? Tank may not be a model citizen but he was not involved in a murder cover up. Ray Lewis may not have been convicted of murder, but he hid from the police who killed two people. We all know those were the facts.

If you ask me, what Ray Lewis did was WAY WORSE than what Tank did. But the difference is Ray got around some vets like Shannon Sharpe and Rod Woodson and he finally got it and cut his homeboys loose.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #52
JoeRedskin

Quote:
By 'anything' I meant he wasn't convicted of murder. I wouldn't put Lewis in the same class of thug as Tank though. Yeah Lewis was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but he seems to have cleaned up his act since then. Tank just doesn't seem to have the IQ to be able to turn his life around. He'll end up dead or in prison.
First, it was more than "wrong place, wrong time" Lewis clearly assisted someone who either participated in the murder or was present and knew the murderer. The extent of his knowledge was never proven - mainly b/c it was a mob scene and no credible witnesses could be found. BUT some bloody guy, with a bloody knife got in the backseat of Lewis's limo - w/ Lewis present in the backseat - and both the bloody clothes and the bloody knife disappeard.

Also, being in the wrong place, wrong time, is sorta the m.o. of all these guys. In some ways, Lewis got lucky in that his alleged offense was so heinous and there was a real chance he would go away for a long time. Because of that, I think he did some serious self examination and realized he had to hang with a different crowd.

I think Lewis basically got "scared straight". Being charged with murder may have that effect.

As for Tank, after reading the various reports, I think your right - he doesn't get it. Maybe he just to dumb, maybe he just a liar or maybe he is just to arrogant. Actually, if it's just meatheadedness, that can be cured, but I get the feeling this guy is more liar than anything else. The Chicago papers called him a "con artist". He twice came out and said - "Yes sir, I will follow the straight and narrow" only to go clubbing right after.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #53
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Let's not forget that Tank already served prison time. I wouldn't want him here because the fact that he won't change. He thinks that it is a game and he should be casted aside like a pile of rancid taco meat.
What the hell is rancid taco meat??
Old 06-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #54
JoeRedskin

Just a follow-up. I think what Lewis did ORIGINALLY (i.e. covering-up a murder cause it involved your buddies) was much much worse than what Johnson did ORIGINALLY. BUT - Johnson's repeated infractions demonstrate a level of repeat stupidity that Lewis did not demonstrate.

Today's lesson: You can teach loser, but only if he is a really big loser and not just a lesser repetitive loser.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #55
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsWill View Post
Im just showing both sides Matty, but when you get this much pub. over a speeding ticket... A SPEEDING TICKET!!!! its gone too far. which was the only citation he recieved if im not mistaken. Granted the man should have enough money to hire a whole fleet of cars and drivers, and not put himself in that position this close removed from his prison stay. As far as the guns go, I said it before it speaks volumes about his character, but the only thing that was ILLEGAL is that they werent registered. I just moved down to Texas and i was shocked at the amount of guns and ammo everyone has down here... it speaks volumes about their character... but since they are registered its not illegal... its just overboard in my opinion... but down here my opinion is the minority.
The speeding ticket alone isn't the issue. If his record was clean this would barely be a blip on the radar. But considering his significant legal history, it just confirms what we already know. The guy is a loser, a thug, and a waste of human flesh.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #56
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
The speeding ticket alone isn't the issue. If his record was clean this would barely be a blip on the radar. But considering his significant legal history, it just confirms what we already know. The guy is a loser, a thug, and a waste of human flesh.
Jeez. Tell us how you really feel?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #57
MTK
\m/

I just don't see any defending this guy. Cleary, he is what he is and he's not changing. I'm not trying to defend Lewis, but at the same time at least he learned his lesson and cleaned up.

I have no pity for repeat offenders who can't save themselves when they are given 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances. Again, kudos to the Bears for kicking him to the curb, but of course I'm sure they felt some heat from the commish.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #58
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
What the hell is rancid taco meat??

Taco Meat that has gotten rotten

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #59
skinsWill
Special Teams

Quote:
I can agree with all of that minus the waste of human flesh part (a little to much IMO) But the guy is on his last leg, he has no room for error. i was just saying on the grand scheme of things hes not in the same leauge as a Pacman or Henry. He served his time, this is his last chance to clean up, there is no denying that, but this last little bit (the ticket) is getting way more pub than it should. He didnt start a fight or resist arrest, there were no guns or drugs, he was speeding. He has paid his debt to society by going to jail, hasnt been in any of the same kind of trouble since. So yes i wouldnt mind him to play for the skins as long as there is a strict personal conduct policy worked in his contract.
skinsWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #60
MTK
\m/

I really wouldn't mind if Tank and Pacman never see a NFL field again. I LOVE the fact the NFL is coming down hard on these guys.