Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Cowher Talking to Skins about Job in '08?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-20-2007, 05:34 AM   #46
Luxorreb
^21^

Re: Cowher Talking to Skins about Job in '08?

Speculation is interesting.
Reality is another thing entirely.
Redskins are blessed with the 2nd coming of Joe Gibbs. Restoring my faith in Redskins football and validating Snyder's ownership. Gibbs will work out the length of his contract unless of health issues (only 2 years). Cowher might choose to sit out another year in an attempt to get the Redskins job. Which would probably be his against candidates as Saunders and Williams. Ofcourse after the 2k5 season I was convinced Williams would be Gibbs successor. Now that's uncertain. Fortunately we'll all get to see 2k7 and how that plays out!!!

Advertisements
Old 06-20-2007, 08:05 AM   #47
irish
Playmaker

I have never been a big Cowher fan and always thought he was vastly over-rated. I think his screaming & yelling style works ok for about 2 or 3 years but then the players beging tuning him out. 2 seasons ago it was Bettis that kept the team tuned in and turned on.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #48
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I would also like to add that I have seen to many super star cordinators turn out to be bust aka: Norv. Cowher is a proven winner!

We'll get a better idea about Norv now that he actually has some talented players to work with -- something he NEVER had here.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #49
MTK
\m/

Norv had 7 years here, all of those teams weren't completely void of talent. Plus, he had a hand in picking many of those players so let's not let him completely off the hook.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:53 AM   #50
Longtimefan
Playmaker

The team has released a press statement denouncing the Bill Cower report. No one in the organization seems to know anything about the report by PFT.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #51
dmek25
MVP

what did you expect them to say, yes we would like to have coach cowher here?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:29 PM   #52
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Whatever dude. Say what you will, but it is a discredit to Gibbs if the organization let something like this leak out, if they are indeed talking to Cowher.

Some guys just see that Dallas helmet on my sig and instantly want to take a stab, when I have said nothing to cause offense.
I don't think it would be a discredit to Gibbs but it would be a discredit to GW and Al. If this was true I think GW would move on pretty quickly because its known that he wants to be a head coach again. Al I'm not to sure how bad he want's to be a head coach and it would be hard to tell his reaction. The only time you ever talk to another head coach about becoming your head coach is when your current coach has decided to retire and Gibbs said that was here for the entire 5 years. The people who think Gibbs would become Pres. of the Skins are kidding yourself because if he retires he is headed back to racing working side by side with his son.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:34 PM   #53
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Norv had 7 years here, all of those teams weren't completely void of talent. Plus, he had a hand in picking many of those players so let's not let him completely off the hook.
I'm not so sure about that. The '99 and 2000 teams were his most talented squads and he was a blocked field goal away from the NFC championship game. And if you remember, the '99 team still had major issues with the defense. The preceding years didn't come close to the makeup of those two rosters.

It's been a long time since 1994-1998. Time heals the wounded heart, and I think there's been some selective amnesia amongst Redskins fans as to how bad those teams really were.

Not saying Norv was flawless, and I'm not calling for his return or anything. But I'll go on record as saying that many in Washington will wonder what might have been once they see what the Chargers do this year.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #54
GusFrerotte

Say what you will about Norv, the fact remains that he did far more with far less than Gibbs has so far. Not knocking Coach, he did get us in the playoffs, but he was stacked on both sides of the ball. Compared to our present roster, Norv didn't have shit. Norv also has the distinction of being able to beat Dallas in Dallas when they had the Aikman dynasty thing still going. Now we have trouble killing a mediocre Dallas squad, when we should smoke them on paper. Things should turn around this year nicely for sure, but you never know.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #55
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
what did you expect them to say, yes we would like to have coach cowher here?

Yes, that's exactly what I would expect them to say if there was any substance to it. What would be the purpose in denying it? I don't view it as being something that needs to be kept a big secret if any talks in that area have actually taken place.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #56
#56fanatic
The Starter

If Gibbs decides to move on after this season, who cares what GW and Al feels? Cower is a very good coach, one of the best in history. He has an average of 10 wins a season, and in the NFC that is a definate playoff birth maybe a division title. He did far more with less talent than what we have seen with our over paid roster. If we had a chance to land him, I dont see why any Redskin fan would be against it. The guy is a proven winner. Multiple playoff births, two superbowl runs, several deep playoff runs and a superbowl title. My guess is if Gibbs does return next year (at this point i could really care less) then Cower will go to Carolina. Fox has worn out his welcome and if he has another sub par year then he will be out. My point about caring less if Gibbs returns is it seems to be really no change in our franchise. 1 playoff birth, several overpaid questionable moves, and two losing seasons. seems to be the norm over the past 10 years. I love Gibbs, have been a die hard for my whole 33 years, but if he doesn't make a noticable change this season, then why keep him here. He will never be fired, he will be asked to take a front office type gig or consultant gig of some sort. I dont know, but I am sure there are a lot of REdskin fans that are sick of losing every damn year, even if Gibbs is the coach.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:52 PM   #57
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I'm not so sure about that. The '99 and 2000 teams were his most talented squads and he was a blocked field goal away from the NFC championship game. And if you remember, the '99 team still had major issues with the defense. The preceding years didn't come close to the makeup of those two rosters.

It's been a long time since 1994-1998. Time heals the wounded heart, and I think there's been some selective amnesia amongst Redskins fans as to how bad those teams really were.

Not saying Norv was flawless, and I'm not calling for his return or anything. But I'll go on record as saying that many in Washington will wonder what might have been once they see what the Chargers do this year.
How about the legendary collapse of '96? That was a talented team that shouldn't have gone 2-6 down the stretch to miss the playoffs.

The '97 team was talented too but couldn't win the games they were supposed to win.

Norv is a dud as a head coach and he's only going to prove it in San Diego. They'll crack under the pressure, just like he always did here.

I think some fans do have some selective amnesia when it comes to Norv and have forgotten how crappy he really was as a head coach.

I'll never understand the support and excuses for a coach who is 58-82-1.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #58
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSKINBauer View Post
when he retired there was talk of him taking over after gibbs. I would be happy for this to happen except for the fact that we already have two cordinators that could be coaches and there is no reason to bring in another system. GW should be coach after gibbs as long as he can put up a good defense these next couple years. Saunders and GW would be pissed off. GW would get a million dollar bonus though. This is just a rumor right now. No need to take any substance out of it but the skins will be of talk when he comes back. Danny boy will beat out any offers so why wouldn't the skins be a front runner?
Does Saunders and Cowers style even work together.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #59
Longtimefan
Playmaker

There can be no doubt I admire Bill Cower as a coach, his record speaks for itself. However, when it comes to being the next coach of the Redskins, I have my reservations.

The kind of authority he'll want to bring to the organization is something I'm not so sure Snyder would be willing to experiment with again. He tried it with Marty, and for him it didn't work. I'll never say never. Snyder made it clear at his lass presser, he has no intention of hiring a GM, to bring Cower in would certainly mean he would have to reconsider, I'm not so sure he's willing to do that. I'll stay tuned, and believe it when I see it.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:23 PM   #60
EXoffender
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I like the idea of Cowher as HC and Gibbs doing some GM work.
Exactly. But let's not throw away money signing Cowher now while we have other highly paid assistants...
EXoffender is offline   Reply With Quote