Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Here is a "hidden problem" we haven't addressed yet...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-31-2009, 02:23 PM   #46
Defensewins
Playmaker

Re: Here is a "hidden problem" we haven't addressed yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigm29 View Post
I think our current roster is loaded with talent but lack coaching and motivation. Besides our offensive line, this is a playoff team, I think that Campbell can be a good enough QB if he is surrounded by the right guys, however he is not a great qb by any means
Vinny? Is that you?

Seriously though, I will agree with you that our current coaching staff has not done well as it relates to development of young inexperienced players. In fact it has sucked.
But our roster is not loaded with talent and we are not a few players away from the playoffs. Yes on paper we have some good talent at certain positions. TE comes to mind. But we also have old players on their way out at other positions and nobody being groomed on our current roster worthy to replace them. We do not have a young Mark Schlereth, Raleigh McKenzie or Ed Simmons on our bench ready to come in and take over for a aging or departing player like Chris Samuels or Randy Thomas like we did back in the 80's. It is amazing to think we had those three guys (Schlreth, McKenzie and Simmons) on our bench as back ups. Now that was a loaded roster...not this shit we have now.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #47
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Vinny? Is that you?

Seriously though, I will agree with you that our current coaching staff has not done well as it relates to development of young inexperienced players. In fact it has sucked.
But our roster is not loaded with talent and we are not a few players away from the playoffs. Yes on paper we have some good talent at certain positions. TE comes to mind. But we also have old players on their way out at other positions and nobody being groomed on our current roster worthy to replace them. We do not have a young Mark Schlereth, Raleigh McKenzie or Ed Simmons on our bench ready to come in and take over for a aging or departing player like Chris Samuels or Randy Thomas like we did back in the 80's. It is amazing to think we had those three guys (Schlreth, McKenzie and Simmons) on our bench as back ups. Now that was a loaded roster...not this shit we have now.

atleast there is one person who sees it the way i do

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:29 PM   #48
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think Edwin Williams and Chad Rinehart will make fine interior linemen. We definitely need tackles though
Old 12-31-2009, 02:49 PM   #49
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigm29 View Post
I think our current roster is loaded with talent but lack coaching and motivation. Besides our offensive line, this is a playoff team, I think that Campbell can be a good enough QB if he is surrounded by the right guys, however he is not a great qb by any means
Whoa whoa whoa there Jon Gruden! It isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

We are below average in the secondary, have issues at LB (maybe scheme related), don't have a proven WR1, don't have a reliable RB1. I think if perfectly healthy and playing lights out we're like a 10-win team. Regressed to normal we're an 8-win team tops.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #50
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think Edwin Williams and Chad Rinehart will make fine interior linemen. We definitely need tackles though
I certainly hope so, but they have not shown that yet. Edwin Williams has done well when given a chance to play. Rinehart has been kind of a turd for a third round pick.
I am not sure why we are not starting more of our young players this week so we can evaluate them against real NFL talent
Not weak opponent they would face in 2010 preseason.
This is another example of the kind of lack of forethought our team has. We always seems a step behind. Our FO is never a step ahead.
Next game should be about evaluating our roster for 2010, who cares if we do not win that game.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #51
franklinhimself
Special Teams

Cooley getting injured was a VERY GOOD thing for our team. I'm not saying I wished any type of injury on Cooley- love him on the team, and he was also my Fantasy TE- but we got about 8 solid weeks to look at what Davis could do on the field. I don't think Zorn would have put Davis out there for even 10% of the playing time he's been seeing were it not for Cooley going to the IR. For this last game, Allen should tell Zorn to sit most starters and let some untested guys play a full game for evaluation purposes.
franklinhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #52
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Vinny? Is that you?

The line definitely kept us from winning a few games I believe. We've got good talent on this team and it took some injuries to find it out.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #53
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinhimself View Post
Cooley getting injured was a VERY GOOD thing for our team. I'm not saying I wished any type of injury on Cooley- love him on the team, and he was also my Fantasy TE- but we got about 8 solid weeks to look at what Davis could do on the field. I don't think Zorn would have put Davis out there for even 10% of the playing time he's been seeing were it not for Cooley going to the IR. For this last game, Allen should tell Zorn to sit most starters and let some untested guys play a full game for evaluation purposes.
I agree. DT, MK, and MM at wideout, keep Ganther in the backfield, etc

I don't know if we should do the same at CB or not, but a heavy rotation of the young guys would be nice.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #54
Defensewins
Playmaker

Sportscurmudgeon brings up a very valid point about the scouting department. Why wouldn't we want to have the best scouting department and FO in the NFL? I think some of the posts contrary to sportscurmudgeon's point seem a bit defensive. The scouting department should be heavily scrutinized and parts of it may have to be replaced. It does not have to be a bad thing. Cutting off the head might not be enough.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #55
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Sportscurmudgeon brings up a very valid point about the scouting department. Why wouldn't we want to have the best scouting department and FO in the NFL? I think some of the posts contrary to sportscurmudgeon's point seem a bit defensive. The scouting department should be heavily scrutinized and parts of it may have to be replaced. It does not have to be a bad thing. Cutting off the head might not be enough.
I'm sure the scouting department will be heavily scrutinized. It was when Cerrato took over as EVP, and as it is turnover is not all that uncommon in scouting. The scouting department has had plenty of hits and misses, just like every other team. The intent of the thread was fine, but the first post was filled with so many errors that it, in my opinion, negated any valid opinion he may have had when he decided to start this thread.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:41 PM   #56
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
I can see Edwin Williams working in Shanahans system but Rhinehart feels like he wouldn't be quick enough. Maybe I'm wrong but if anything we should probably try to come away with two tackles and a guard come draft day. Personally I would love to see Edwin Williams take over at Center.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #57
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I'm sure the scouting department will be heavily scrutinized. It was when Cerrato took over as EVP, and as it is turnover is not all that uncommon in scouting. The scouting department has had plenty of hits and misses, just like every other team. The intent of the thread was fine, but the first post was filled with so many errors that it, in my opinion, negated any valid opinion he may have had when he decided to start this thread.
Just like every other team? Judging by our record the last few years, at best, we've hovered around the middle of the pack. Now we're on the verge of 4-12. So it would be hard to say that we've had our 'hits and misses, just like every other team'. Some teams have had more hits than misses, and they're in contention for a championship. Lately, we've had the opposite.

I don't see why people refuse to admit that bad scouting and bad personnel moves will get you bad, 4-12 type teams.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #58
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Just like every other team? Judging by our record the last few years, at best, we've hovered around the middle of the pack. Now we're on the verge of 4-12. So it would be hard to say that we've had our 'hits and misses, just like every other team'. Some teams have had more hits than misses, and they're in contention for a championship. Lately, we've had the opposite.

I don't see why people refuse to admit that bad scouting and bad personnel moves will get you bad, 4-12 type teams.
Bad personnel moves are not necessarily the result of bad scouting. We clearly have made "bad personnel moves" which have been detailed in various threads. Again, was good scouting advice ignored? My thought is yes. (We're talking Vinny here). Again, I specifically recall one post from Smootsmack that demonstrated, as far as draft picks go, we had as many starters from picks as New England did (or something like that).

IMO, the scouting has not been a significant flaw but rather the use of the information provided and choices made by EVP Vinny.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #59
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post

It is possible for a team to have good personnel but misuse them, resulting in a 4-12 record.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #60
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
i agree . what do you think kept the skins from using Williams at center this year, because i think Rabach really is sub par?