F...TVs

Parking Lot

Old 09-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #46
saden1
MVP

Re: F...TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I paid $800 for my 42" Samsung HD. Still working perfect after years and it was a floor model.

The reason I will not buy a plasma is right here...they're basically disposable TVs. My rear projection has a good enough picture, but has replaceable parts.
This statement is utter nonsense and should be ignored. If you leave your Plasma TV on 24/7 its half-life (time before the brightness of the TV is half what it use to be) is ~11 years. If you intend to watch your TV 6 hours a day you're looking at a half-life of ~30 years. I very much doubt you will be able to find replacement parts for your TV after 10 to 15 years let alone 30 years.

Note that this calculation is based on older Plasma models that were rated 30,000 hours.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #47
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
This statement is utter nonsense and should be ignored. If you leave your Plasma TV on 24/7 its half-life (time before the brightness of the TV is half what it use to be) is ~11 years. If you intend to watch your TV 6 hours a day you're looking at a half-life of ~30 years. I very much doubt you will be able to find replacement parts for your TV after 10 to 15 years let alone 30 years.

Note that this calculation is based on older Plasma models that were rated 30,000 hours.

I was going to say something to this when he posted it but figured I don't give a crap. My plasma for the record is completely repairable for $300 bucks it needs a new control board. So to say plasma TV's are throw aways, is a false statement.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #48
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I was going to say something to this when he posted it but figured I don't give a crap. My plasma for the record is completely repairable for $300 bucks it needs a new control board. So to say plasma TV's are throw aways, is a false statement.
It's Buster, he is [fill in the blank].

-Jenkins
Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #49
MTK
\m/

Quote:

Now they're up to what, 65 or 70k I believe?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #50
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
So are you gonna take your tv to the guy I recommended? I thought my screen was done, and for $150 including labor he replaced a few transistors and it's as good as new.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:49 AM   #51
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
They're up to 100K now though that figure is a bit suspect because it's based on theoretical calculation with optimal conditions.

-Jenkins
Old 09-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #52
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
So are you gonna take your tv to the guy I recommended? I thought my screen was done, and for $150 including labor he replaced a few transistors and it's as good as new.

I talked with him more on the phone and explained the problem to him. I also told him I have a lot of clicking when it is turned off. He is fairly sure it is the either the control board or some other board. He quoted me around $400 to replace either board. I think I may just pass on the repairs because between 600 and 800 I could get a new TV with a warrenty and probably a better picture.

I would hate to drop $400 into it and it breaks again a year down the road. Plus a guy at work offered me $200 for it, he wants it for his kids. Anyhoo thank you very much for the referal that guy does know his crap.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #53
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:

from what I have learned and many others it really doesn't matter the life span of the screen it is the circuit boarders inside that go way before the screen ever does.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #54
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:

See post #1. OP's plasma is now garbage after a short period of time, he's out $3000 and my "old-fashioned" 42" 1080p TV that cost 70% less is going strong and can he repaired rather than replaced IF something goes wrong. The whole reason for this thread is because the plasma did not last it's "expected" life.

I'll take the utter nonsense and the working TV with a few grand extra in my pocket.

Sometimes the latest technology is now always the best. Look at Windows.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #55
MTK
\m/

So one plasma craps out and they're all garbage?

There are duds even with the old CRT's. No technology is perfect of course. There is always an expected failure rate with anything.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #56
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
So one plasma craps out and they're all garbage?

There are duds even with the old CRT's. No technology is perfect of course. There is always an expected failure rate with anything.
including football team owners LOL (i keed i keed)
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #57
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
See post #1. OP's plasma is now garbage after a short period of time, he's out $3000 and my "old-fashioned" 42" 1080p TV that cost 70% less is going strong and can he repaired rather than replaced IF something goes wrong. The whole reason for this thread is because the plasma did not last it's "expected" life.

I'll take the utter nonsense and the working TV with a few grand extra in my pocket.

Sometimes the latest technology is now always the best. Look at Windows.

Dude I bought the TV in 06 almost 05 and for the record my DLP crapped out 1 month out of warrenty and Samsung was cool enough to replace the entire engine in it. AND THE PLASMA CAN BE REPAIRED AFTER TALKING TO GMSCUDS GUY, are you thick headed?
Old 10-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #58
mredskins
Gamebreaker

So I picked up this TV over the weekend.

Panasonic 42 in. (Diagonal) Class 1080p 600 Hz Plasma HD Television

Got it for $719 (no Tax picked it up in DE) becasue I paid cash for it instead of the no interest deal. For the record the first one I bougth had a huge black line that ran down the center of the screen. So I returned it and I am now waiting for a new one.

Saden1 we will see if your Pansonic holds up, if not I will be the first ot let you know. =)

Also, I sold my broken Phillips to a co-worker for $250, it got into a bit of a bidding war with another co-worker.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #59
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

We have a Sony TV that has never had any issues beside a bulb replacement 4 years ago.
Bought in in 1995 lol...

Our HD Samsung has had 3 problems in the last 3 years
Old 10-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #60
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
So my $3000 dollar 42 inch Phillips TV is now broken after only 3.5 years of service. Plasma BTW.

I have a black band that will not go away on the right side, basically it is the band that is there when you are watching 4-3 picture but when you switch to high def it remains. Called Phillips and basically they said look in the yellow pages for a repair shop, great customer service.

I called Geek Squad and they want $150 just to look at it! By the time they repair it probably be 300 or 400 dollars. Might as well by a new one for 600 dollars.

So basically never buy Phillips I have two other HD TV's both Samsung and they work great.

Funny how my Sony CRT lasted 10 years and I swear I even dropped it several times during moves, I gave it away for this TV and it was still working! Grrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I just got a lawsuit notice saying Phillips knew they were building TV's with bad capacitors and that they will refund my some or all of my money.

Thought that was pretty crazy and awesome news!