Democratic National Convention 2012

Debating with the enemy

Old 09-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Re: Democratic National Convention 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Good. At least someone's keeping church separate from state.
I don't think it's a problem to at least acknowldge the good Lord in the party platform. That's certainly not pushing religion on anyone. I think the Dems have swung too far away from God/religion and should track back to the middle a bit.

Quote:
Conservatives will always be a joke to me until they can stop pandering to evangelicals. If Republicans would stick to cutting spending, small government and staying as far away from social issues as possible (i.e. leaving abortion and gay-marriage as a STATE ISSUE and stop beating everyone over the head with religion and viewing everyone who is different from them either religiously or sexually as godless heathens), I MIGHT be able to respect them. Hell maybe even see some issues from their angle. Otherwise my allegiances lie with democrats. The economy is important to me but social issues are as well.
We agree here and fiscal conservatives / social moderates are working within the GOP to track to the middle as well. I think, if elected you'll see Mitt be socially moderate as in MA.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Oh.

p.s. That's from last year.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Anyway. This thread wasn't supposed to turn into this. Back to your regularly scheduled convention.

Bill Clinton tonight? Good? Bad?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Just in: Democrats update platform with Jerusalem, God reference – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Bent under pressure.

Should be interesting to see what they threw together.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Bent under pressure.

Just saw a replay of the voice vote to ammend the Dem platform....what a mess. It sure sounded like a 50/50 split and then booos when it was passed.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Bent under pressure.

This is what they threw together. WTF and you guys joked about Clint E. sorry I missed this live. I'd say it was about a 50/50 vote and they even bood adding it. My question is if they had to add god to the platform does that mean they actually voted to not have god at the convention? LMAO

Last edited by firstdown; 09-06-2012 at 09:29 AM.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Anyway. This thread wasn't supposed to turn into this. Back to your regularly scheduled convention.

No matter what, agree or disagree, he will be interesting.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Just a thought, and someone correct me if I missed something, but if I'm running the DNC I'm not trotting out Sandra Fluke. What the heck are her credentials? Why not Mark Warner leading up to Clinton tonight. It would help with Independents and bring more cred to the Dems supporting business.

EDIT: Fluke's speech came off as very angry and will do more to hurt the Dems than help. Especially when the GOP puts the truth about her out into the mainstream. She isn't an innocent law student, but a 30 yr. old "reproductive rights activist" (pro-abortion advocate) that came to Georgetown knowing their policy on insurance and contraceptives yet came specifically to challenge their position.

Meet Sandra Fluke: The woman you didn’t hear at Congress’ contraceptives hearing - The Washington Post

From the link: Fluke came to Georgetown University interested in contraceptive coverage: She researched the Jesuit college’s health plans for students before enrolling, and found that birth control was not included. “I decided I was absolutely not willing to compromise the quality of my education in exchange for my health care,” says Fluke, who has spent the past three years lobbying the administration to change its policy on the issue. The issue got the university president’s office last spring, where Georgetown declined to change its policy.

This is complete BS as is the HHS Mandate. As I've said many times before the HHS Mandate isn't about denying women access to contraception, it's about the gov't not being able to force a religious institution to violate its deeply held religious beliefs.

Last edited by Slingin Sammy 33; 09-05-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #11
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Just a thought, and someone correct me if I missed something, but if I'm running the DNC I'm not trotting out Sandra Fluke. What the heck are her credentials? Why not Mark Warner leading up to Clinton tonight. It would help with Independents and bring more cred to the Dems supporting business.

EDIT: Fluke's speech came off as very angry and will do more to hurt the Dems than help. Especially when the GOP puts the truth about her out into the mainstream. She isn't an innocent law student, but a 30 yr. old "reproductive rights activist" (pro-abortion advocate) that came to Georgetown knowing their policy on insurance and contraceptives yet came specifically to challenge their position.

Meet Sandra Fluke: The woman you didn’t hear at Congress’ contraceptives hearing - The Washington Post

From the link: Fluke came to Georgetown University interested in contraceptive coverage: She researched the Jesuit college’s health plans for students before enrolling, and found that birth control was not included. “I decided I was absolutely not willing to compromise the quality of my education in exchange for my health care,” says Fluke, who has spent the past three years lobbying the administration to change its policy on the issue. The issue got the university president’s office last spring, where Georgetown declined to change its policy.

This is complete BS as is the HHS Mandate. As I've said many times before the HHS Mandate isn't about denying women access to contraception, it's about the gov't not being able to force a religious institution to violate its deeply held religious beliefs.
Sandra Fluke was a tad off putting. Tossed out some red meat to the crowd. Not too bad.

Bill Clinton hit out of the park and into the next state. It was a brilliant speech from start to finish. That's what people will remember. Obama has to close the deal tonight.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Bill Clinton hit out of the park and into the next state. It was a brilliant speech from start to finish. That's what people will remember. Obama has to close the deal tonight.
Clinton is the most masterful politician of our age. Reagan was close, but Clinton could sell a bag of $hit to a manure company.

That being said, same old/same old D arguments and talking points (tax breaks for millionaires, grandma over the cliff, blah, blah, blah) but Clinton delivers them more effectively than anyone. I don't see any way Obama will be able to top that.

Side note, I know he's getting older but I noticed his hands shaking a bit and at one point I think he noticed it himself and put his right hand down to his side. I hope he isn't struggling with a health issue he's keeping private.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post

I dunno much about Fluke but I thought Cecile Richards got the whole, "women deserve to choose about their own health issues" point without trotting Fluke out there.

But I suppose it could've been worse. I don't think it's necessarily going to "hurt" the democrats but she probably didn't help them much. Although this was probably to drive home the need of birth control to people already within the party. But then again it was Clinton who was supposed to appeal to indepdendents and the fence sitters, not Fluke. She's a drop of water in the ocean.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Fighting forward together: the clichés of the Democratic convention - Yahoo! News

Decent article.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #15
los panda
Pro Bowl

i watched the first lady last night. makes me think about how much is wrong at the very top.

we need to ban parties altogether, boiling it down to 1 choice between the same 2 parties every 4 years...
i'm not going to mcdonald's because they pissed all over my food last time, oh ok i'll just go to burger king because they only pissed on my fries the time before last ...then i'll go back to mcdonald's. can't go to wendy's or anywhere else because presidential primaries are more useful than electricity