Your Daddy 23 24.73%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #46
freddyg12
Playmaker

Re: Anthony Mix Must Be Our Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
First, I have to disagree on the Anthony Montgomery comparison, because Montgomery was somebody drafted by Gibbs and Grilliams. He was identified as a HUGE talent lacking in work ethic. They figured if they could kick him into gear he could be huge. So they kicked him into gear, and now he's an above-average NFL starting DT.

The same cannot be said for Mix. He is tall, he is somewhat fast, but his route-running is severely lacking. It's not like Montgomery, where the coaches can try to kick him into gear and create a starter. Montgomery had all the tools, he just didn't have the work ethic. I'm not sure Mix has all the tools; he's got the size and straight line speed, he works hard and puts out lots of effort, but he struggles to get open because he simply isn't very agile. That's not quite as coachable as work ethic.

I'd love it if you were right though, and I hope he takes advantage of his opportunities and steps it up for the 'Skins. But I think we'd be remiss to count on that and pass on making a move at WR.

As for Thrash, that's a great question. Gibbs loved him because of his special teams abilities more than anything, plus he's a real hard worker. But the question is will Zorn be as high on Thrash as Gibbs was? Danny Smith is still with us coaching special teams, so you can be sure he'll get in Zorn's ear about keeping Thrash around. But in the end it will be Zorn's call, he might want to go a different direction.

If we don't acquire any WRs this offseason, then I'd say Thrash definitely stays. But I figure we're going to acquire at least one either by trade, free agency, or the draft. We'll see where that leaves Thrash.
good points, and if Mix is simply not athletic enough to be good at the position then there's only so much "coacing up" that will work, but the avg. wr takes a few years to adjust. Except for the small % that can come in & start as rookies and put up good #s in yr. 2, most take 3 years to reach their full potential.

Mix might be closer than we think. also, maybe Mix has had work ethic issues himself & he's starting to come around. You're right that if he's not agile enough his routes will always suffer, but maybe he's developed poor route running habits, and never had enough coaching to correct him.

I'm only trying to show a possible, logical explanation to support what the thread poses. Who knows what Zorn will think of him & how he'll fit in the wco? I agree that we'll at least draft a wr, maybe 2 if we get those comp. picks.

I agree about thras. The more I think about it, if we acquire a wr, Thrash's best chance seems to actually hinge a lot on Mix becoming the #3 or #4 wr. If it's between he & Mix for the final wr spot, I think Mix would have to really suck at wr not to make it, as he's shown he can play teams well. We ended last year w/6 wr's, was McCardell inactive & thought allowed us to keep all 6?
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #47
jamf
Pro Bowl

Holy Crap People!
You sound like a bunch of desperate housewives: "I want the biggest man I can find".

Big WR's aren't successful in the NFL, Athletic, strong and fast WR's that happen to be tall are.

Look at all the hype about Matt Jones and Reggie williams, They are not starting caliber WR's. The small journeyman Dennis Northcut beat them both out for lead WR.

Like Smootsmack said to his prom date, Size doesn't matter.

Bring Back The Smurfs!
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #48
saden1
MVP

Wouldn't Mike Espy + Anthony Mix be a deadly combo? They could be the most dynamic due in NFL history if given a chance! Imagining the possibilities brings warmth to my heart and tears of joy running down my cheeks.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #49
SeanTaylor21
Special Teams

anthony mix is not fast, cant catch, and all he will be in his career is a special teams player. thers a reason why he was cut from the giants, hes got butterfingers!

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6...rmationgg7.jpg

http://www.thehogs.net/sean-taylor/burgundy_heart.jpg
SeanTaylor21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #50
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylor21 View Post
anthony mix is not fast, cant catch, and all he will be in his career is a special teams player. thers a reason why he was cut from the giants, hes got butterfingers!
Mix was not cut by the Giants we signed him off there practice squade(SP)...
Old 03-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #51
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylor21 View Post
He was not cut, from the Giants. He is fast. I dont want anyone thinking, I am delusional, I understand that Mix is not proven, but maybe they are counting on him more, than we think. I think that the Montgomery analogy was exactly, what I was thinking. Schneed10 says that he is severly deficient in route running, I am not sure how he knows this, but, I would certainly be willing to listen.
2008 NFL Draft Scout, From Prep to Pro Coverage for Pros by Pros -- Powered by the Sports Xchange
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #52
Stuck in TX
Impact Rookie

poor confused Redskins fans. Look what we have become. Just because we havnt made a huge splash in the FA we are suddenly calling our special teams #5 or 6 WR our next go to guy. We must have patience. I too am bored but we must wait. Something tells me we will have an addition sooner or later be it through the draft or FA to our WR corps, and it is evident that Mix isnt going anywhere and can only get better.

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #53
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
He was not cut, from the Giants. He is fast. I dont want anyone thinking, I am delusional, I understand that Mix is not proven, but maybe they are counting on him more, than we think. I think that the Montgomery analogy was exactly, what I was thinking. Schneed10 says that he is severly deficient in route running, I am not sure how he knows this, but, I would certainly be willing to listen.
2008 NFL Draft Scout, From Prep to Pro Coverage for Pros by Pros -- Powered by the Sports Xchange
Cut, practice squad, what's the effing difference? I love that distinction, talk about splitting hairs.

From an earlier post in this thread:

Quote:
Weaknesses: Does not play as fast as 40-time indicates and his speed is too straight-line. Lacks ideal burst for a receiver and will have some problems creating separation working against man coverage at the next level. Doesn't use hands well, doesn't play with a mean streak and needs to improve ability to get a clean release working against press coverage.

To me, that reads: not agile and cannot get open.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #54
Stuck in TX
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Wouldn't Mike Espy + Anthony Mix be a deadly combo? They could be the most dynamic due in NFL history if given a chance! Imagining the possibilities brings warmth to my heart and tears of joy running down my cheeks.
sarcasm?? If so thats pretty funny.

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:59 AM   #55
That Guy
Living Legend

if only we let patrick ramsey start 16 more games.... i mean, he WAS 6'5"... how could he NOT be awesome?

^that's what all these mix threads sound like.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #56
bedlamVR
Special Teams

There is one thing that I wonder about here . What are we really looking for ? A No.1 WR ? No that is Moss when healthy he is as dangerous as any wideout in the league . People thinking he needs a big WR opposite him need to think who was on the opposite side of the field in 2005...David Patten ...hmm

So we are looking for a No2. WR ...well no not really ARE may man the slot more in this scheme but he is the guy we will be looking for, for no.2. kind of production and in 2007 he came on leaps and bounds as a starting WR and stop him returning punts in the hope he can stay healthy.

So we are really looking for a No.3. wideout someone reliable but not necessarily spectacular also given that Cooley, Portis, Sellars will be important in the passing game they are not going to get a huge amount of action . Do we really want to spend big $$$$ on this kind of guy . Sure we could draft a guy but first round is there anyone really there who could be the guy down the stretch, or more importantly is there a WR in the first round who will be available and offer more value than addressing our OL, DL or DB.

With all this in mind then can Mix be the guy...maybe . I saw him in London (mistaking him for Burress) and I am not sure how many scrubs the team would bother taking with them so I kind of think the Giants were high on the guy . His career may be nothing more than James Thrash but even he was a No.1. WR in philly so that is no bad thing .

Would it be wise to bank on Mix to be the guy ... hell no. But keeping Caldwell or picking up a bargin basement player or second day pick would be an adequate plan B in my mind .

Sure we do need a stud to pick up for Moss as our No.1. guy but unless said stud falls in our laps whoever we pick up will do time on the bench being developed so why not go with Mix or Espy or whoever.
bedlamVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #57
EXoffender
The Starter

I like Mix and don't care what he's done or not done to this point in his career. If he has it in him to step it up, he'll have a chance this year to catch some balls.
EXoffender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #58
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXoffender View Post
I like Mix and don't care what he's done or not done to this point in his career. If he has it in him to step it up, he'll have a chance this year to catch some balls.
You guys just crack me up. If he had it in him he would have stepped in and stepped up last season. There is a reason why he was a part time starter in college and barely has an NFL roster spot.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #59
EXoffender
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
You guys just crack me up. If he had it in him he would have stepped in and stepped up last season. There is a reason why he was a part time starter in college and barely has an NFL roster spot.
For some guys it takes it takes time. There are many stories about 'career backups' and underachievers who are given a chance or counted on in 'desperate' situations and become staples in their teams rosters. What most of us are saying here about Mix (and Caldwell) is we have a guy, let him compete, let's make a decision from there. We're not saying there's no need to draft a WR or look at an affordable FA because Mix is the next Jerry Rice. It seems you are for aquiring big-ticket FAs and believe if a player isn't a first day pick, he obviously is not talented enough to make any NFL team's roster. We all are for upgrading but there is always a possibility that that big-ticket FA WR will be a Brandon Lloyd and the first day pick ends up being Taylor Jacobs...
EXoffender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #60
Warren85Ellard
Special Teams

I'm still counting on Darnerian McCants to be our big go-to receiver....once he puts his music career on hiatus.

Darnerien McCants: Lonely
Warren85Ellard is offline   Reply With Quote