Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Would you consider trading Orakpo and Trent Williams for picks?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #46
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: Would you consider trading Orakpo and Trent Williams for picks?

for straight up picks? no. if it's for a QB worth talking about, or moving up for luck, maybe.

willie smith is not is not is not trent williams. let's not get crazy. he's looked good, but not "why do we even need trent williams here" good... not even close. plus that'd be a huge cap hit.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #47
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
for straight up picks? no. if it's for a QB worth talking about, or moving up for luck, maybe.

willie smith is not is not is not trent williams. let's not get crazy. he's looked good, but not "why do we even need trent williams here" good... not even close.

Trent is a top 10 LT and I think people forget how hard it is to replace them.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:14 PM   #48
VTSkins1961
Special Teams

Tough call, I would not trade Orakpo. He will continue to get better with Kerrigan on the other side (wouldn't mind going back to a 4-3 and have them be the defensive ends) but no way I trade him. Williams only if it lands us with the#1 pick - Luck but then we would have to address LT.
VTSkins1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #49
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
You're crazy. The asking price for a franchise LT has been set as a late first round pick. As seen in the Jason Peters trade.
Good point. I'll go further: with three years remaining on his rookie contract, Williams is actually worth more than a late first round pick right now. That will be his price a year or two from now, when the Redskins have to make a decision to extend him or let him hit free agency.

In the Peters trade, the Eagles werent just trading for him, they were also making a decision to give him $40 million dollars, saving the Bills that cost.

Last edited by GTripp0012; 12-29-2011 at 10:45 PM.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #50
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I think the Redskins cannot afford to trade anyone they have right now. While I think we have good players, I feel that none of our players could garner the picks that people here seem to think we could get.

As much as we all would want the team to have a lot of picks, this team is going to have to spend them if they want to move up to get a QB. If Shanahan was willing to gamble picks on McNabb, I would imagine he would be fine with trading picks to get a future QB.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #51
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I think the Redskins cannot afford to trade anyone they have right now. While I think we have good players, I feel that none of our players could garner the picks that people here seem to think we could get.

As much as we all would want the team to have a lot of picks, this team is going to have to spend them if they want to move up to get a QB. If Shanahan was willing to gamble picks on McNabb, I would imagine he would be fine with trading picks to get a future QB.
Yeah I tend to agree. If they want to move up it's going to cost picks not players. Giving up several key building blocks like Rak or TW only creates more holes... significant ones at that. Young pass rushers and good left tackles are like gold in this league.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:17 AM   #52
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
You're crazy. The asking price for a franchise LT has been set as a late first round pick. As seen in the Jason Peters trade.
Like others have said, factor in the marijuana not once but 3 times he's been caught, plus the fact that he has a poor work ethic and gets lazy at times. He's just a good tackle, not a great tackle. Franchise tackle, No. And yeah the Jason Peters trade occured, but Jason Peters, IMO, is more motivated and about as athletic as trent. He also has no off the field problems like Trent now does. So if I'm looking at Trent and I'm another team that needs a tackle the most I'm giving up for him is a 3rd. I wouldn't want to risk him smoking and missing games again, because clearly he has a problem if he's smoking and getting caught that much.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:55 AM   #53
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Well, he's also a 23 year old good-not-great tackle. Which means he could be an all-pro at 26.

There's less upside with Orakpo who is already 25. And he's still an ascending player who will develop move moves (hopefully), but he's never going to be a large, mammoth rusher with moves: speed and quickness will always be his game until he doesn't have that anymore.

I actually think BO had his best year rushing the passer this year. Sack production is weird like that though. Sometimes, you just miss the tackle in the backfield. And that doesn't make you a worse rusher. It just really changes the result of the play. I know he didn't draw 9 holding flags like he did last year, but I still thought that Kerrigan's sack production would have been impossible at this level without Orakpo on the other side.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #54
diehard
The Starter

Major cap hit.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #55
#56fanatic
The Starter

I just dont get it?

Trade one of the up and coming OLB in the NFL. Made two probowls in 3 years. Just drafted a guy that will compliment each other for 10 years. The guy is a good character guy, high motor, constant effort, beast of a player and because his"numbers" are a little down, we trade him.

Trent Williams - we finally draft a franchise left tackle, he is playing quite well against the top ends in the NFL and we talk about trading him. this is his 2nd year, he is going to have some growing pains, he's given some sacks, but damn people what the hell is wrong with you

I have seen some crazy shit on this board, but the last couple of days have been just ridiculous. I really wonder if anyone really wants this franchise to succeed. For years it was patience, build through the draft, continuity, lets keep the same coaches for more than two years, get younger.... Now we do that and everyone wants our coaches and players canned. I am having a hard time understanding this.

Everyone has these knee jerk reactions. Why in the world would anyone want to trade our last two 1st round picks after 3 and 2 seasons respectively?? talk about patience....
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #56
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
I just dont get it?

Trade one of the up and coming OLB in the NFL. Made two probowls in 3 years. Just drafted a guy that will compliment each other for 10 years. The guy is a good character guy, high motor, constant effort, beast of a player and because his"numbers" are a little down, we trade him.

Trent Williams - we finally draft a franchise left tackle, he is playing quite well against the top ends in the NFL and we talk about trading him. this is his 2nd year, he is going to have some growing pains, he's given some sacks, but damn people what the hell is wrong with you

I have seen some crazy shit on this board, but the last couple of days have been just ridiculous. I really wonder if anyone really wants this franchise to succeed. For years it was patience, build through the draft, continuity, lets keep the same coaches for more than two years, get younger.... Now we do that and everyone wants our coaches and players canned. I am having a hard time understanding this.

Everyone has these knee jerk reactions. Why in the world would anyone want to trade our last two 1st round picks after 3 and 2 seasons respectively?? talk about patience....

Agree 110%, we have alot of Vinny's on the board.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #57
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

No one is talking about giving either one away for nothing
Old 12-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #58
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

I don't believe anyone truly would want the Redskins to give up Orakpo. I don't at all, and I think if we did, we would have to get A LOT in return. All I'm saying is, which do you think would be easier to replace/get, a top notch pass rusher or a top notch passer? If the former, then absolutely no way you think of involving a trade with someone like Orakpo to get your franchise QB. If the latter, well then, you as a GM have a very tough decision to make if trading one of your best players on defense is the only way to sweeten the pot enough to get your franchise QB. Personally, I'd much rather the Redskins promise high round draft picks for the next few seasons than to get rid of building block players.

I would be very upset getting rid of Orakpo, Kerrigan, Fred Davis, or Trent Williams. Davis and Williams have disappointed me with their off the field drug issues, but they are all building blocks that the 'skins didn't just randomly pick for the heck of it. Overall, I think it comes down to this. If RG III doesn't declare, nor Tannehill, nor Jones, etc..... then you're left with a few teams gunning for Andrew Luck. The Redskins could essentially say, ya know, we're going to have some great quarterbacks coming out of college next year (RG III, Barkley, a more seasoned Tannehill, Jones....) let's continue putting other pieces in place this year, and then do what we can do to get our quarterback next year. That might be what the Redskins do if those guys mentioned decide to stay in college next year - and I think that would probably be the better move than to think about giving up someone like Orakpo or Williams to get Luck.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #59
#56fanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
No one is talking about giving either one away for nothing

I know that, but why would anyone even entertain giving those guys up. Orakpo has been in the league 3 years, made the probowl two of them. Trent williams has shown that he can be a very good tackle for years to come. He has been in the league a total of 2 years. I just dont see the logic in even thinking of getting rid of them for picks, which would set us back another couple of years trying to get someone to fill those spots. They are good players, Orakpo will become a game changer in my opinion. Just seems like no one is happy with keeping things status quo. They are always wanting change. Change coaches, players, DC or OC, and what has that gotten us over the last 12 years.. Absolutely nothing! We need consistancy across the board.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:31 AM   #60
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

TW- No

BO - No