Parking Lot

Old 09-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #46
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: Are You Ready to be a Dad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
stupid question:

if i have great health insurance and my wife has none, does my health care provider pay for her maternity related doctor and hospital bills?

when the child is born, does my health care coverage cover the child for all the childs medical visits?

will my insurance (already over 200 a month) go up?
As long as your wife is listed on your plan, the birth is covered. As others have said, you have a limited time to automatically add you child as a dependent. Do not sit on this. Call ahead and get the forms necessary, and be ready to roll. Also, make sure the hospital and insurer on the same page as to who the beneficiary is. After the birth of my son, I promptly added him to the coverage, BUT - the hospital kept listing my wife as beneficiary of the services. The insurer denied the bene's as they were obviously for an infant but hospital simply resubmitted without using proper code - huge snafu.

Your rates will go up.

Advertisements
Old 09-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #47
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
As long as your wife is listed on your plan, the birth is covered. As others have said, you have a limited time to automatically add you child as a dependent. Do not sit on this. Call ahead and get the forms necessary, and be ready to roll. Also, make sure the hospital and insurer on the same page as to who the beneficiary is. After the birth of my son, I promptly added him to the coverage, BUT - the hospital kept listing my wife as beneficiary of the services. The insurer denied the bene's as they were obviously for an infant but hospital simply resubmitted without using proper code - huge snafu.

Your rates will go up.

Yep, get the ball rolling early...don't wait for the SS# to arrive before starting the insurance application process, they can fill out the paperwork and add that in later to activate the child's coverage. It can take 6-8 weeks for your child's SSN to arrive, near the end of the time they're covered under the parent's policy.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #48
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
@Cro4Jets I don't understand the question

Who will take care of the baby is definitely a big concern. Like I said, we don't have family nearby. We're a two-income household and the reality is while I make a decent salary, she's the true breadwinner.

I know it's a bit of a difficult question to answer, but for the first year or two what are the average monthly expenses for a baby?
In my home my wife is thr true bread winner. Hell I told you guys how I lost my job and I'd say from December of last year up until July of this year I brought in a third of what I had been bringing in before. You guys are married and I'm sure that this isn't the first time that one of you would be holding up the other. That's called love. Now with the child.

Have you all discussed if she going to breastfeed ? I ask because that will figure in to how much you will have to pay in formula wich can hit your head something awful. My wife nursed and if we had to buy formula all of that time then we would've kicked out a whole lot of money.

Are you ready to be a father ? I would say yes because you asked. That alone shows that you have the desire but you want to make sure that you are prepared for this. You're ready. Are you ready to wake up when he/she cries just because ? Are you ready to watch your cell phone sink into a foot bath ? Are you ready to wash poop off of your finger and under your fingernails because sombody just had to move while changinh a daiper ? Are you ready to walk into a room and have your child scream Daddy while running top speed to give you a hug ? If you answered yes, then you're ready. Go ahead and do it, my wife and I are actually contemplating having another one. We would like for me to have a more stable job, being a contracto and feeling the sting of a Federal Employee pushing me out I want a full government position unless I find a way to have a radio show. I love children and my little guy is the greatest thing that I have every created.

Watching The Goonies there's a part at the end where Data (The litle asian kid) hugs his dad and tells him how he loves him and the dad looks at him and says, "You are my greatest invention" That shit is so real. My son is 2 years old now and he brings me so much joy. That little bastard makes me want to beat the piss out of him sometimes but as angry as I was when he took the bottle of lotion and rubbed it all over his body and the floor. I was angry, but we'll laugh about that someday. Just watching him grow and learn this world and life is worth everything "bad" that comes with it. They truly do grow fast.

3 months

6 months

And this is my little dude at 2.

My son knows the Redskins logo when he sees it. Go ahead and make one. It'll be the best thing that you have ever done.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #49
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Monk that is one cute kid bro!!!

I am late to this party and I was not anywhere near as prepared as any of you guys to be honest. She was not planned and I do not know if given the current job status of myself and also my fiance that we would have been financially ready for sometime.

Since I lost my job, and the family tragedy from a few months ago that cost my fiance her job, this has been one of the most trying times of my enitre life. After having lived my last 10 years of my life as self centered as possible, be it partying, driving race cars with no disregard to the danger of the sport, and my pre economic turn down spending habits I was NOT READY for the surprise of my fiance telling me she was pregnant one day.

Smoot we do not have family "close" and we are not running back home. We are going to get through this rough patch, and to be honest I believe that God does not put anything onto your plate that you can't handle.

As of now I am sitting in the hospital and I have been holding my beautiful little girl all day, and there is nothing in the world that has given me this much joy.

My road has been unorthodoxed IE perfect job, married, lots of cash saved, big house, and to be honest that would make it all easier, but I am very smart and I know how to handle the finances we do have to be able to get by and keep a good credit score! Life will get better and little Adyson is just the first step.

Is this the great advice any of you are looking for... probably not, but I wasn't ready by any means, but this has been great. I love my fiance and my little baby girl with all my heart. I will provide, protect, and give them the best life possible. This has been the greatest day in alot of personal great days in my life.

BTW I am 32 and she is 25. Since you guys were all dropping ages.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #50
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well, I wasn't totally honest when I started this thread. But I'll be honest now. The truth is that I did and still do have all the questions I asked. And I'm nervous and I don't know if I'm ready.

What I didn't tell you was that I'm going to have to be ready by the spring because that's when we're expecting our first child. So ready or not, here comes SmootDad

It's already been agreed that in 2029 I will re-sign as a mod here and Li'l Smoot will be promoted to moderator...or Matty will pay him/her $1 million (adjusted for inflation)

(For my FB friends here please refrain from posting anything there as I still have some relatives to notify. Thanks!)
Old 10-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #51
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Well, I wasn't totally honest when I started this thread. But I'll be honest now. The truth is that I did and still do have all the questions I asked. And I'm nervous and I don't know if I'm ready.

What I didn't tell you was that I'm going to have to be ready by the spring because that's when we're expecting our first child. So ready or not, here comes SmootDad

It's already been agreed that in 2029 I will re-sign as a mod here and Li'l Smoot will be promoted to moderator...or Matty will pay him/her $1 million (adjusted for inflation)

(For my FB friends here please refrain from posting anything there as I still have some relatives to notify. Thanks!)
That's great and your life will change for the better. Not that it will be easier just better.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #52
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkFan4Life View Post
In my home my wife is thr true bread winner. Hell I told you guys how I lost my job and I'd say from December of last year up until July of this year I brought in a third of what I had been bringing in before. You guys are married and I'm sure that this isn't the first time that one of you would be holding up the other. That's called love. Now with the child.

Have you all discussed if she going to breastfeed ? I ask because that will figure in to how much you will have to pay in formula wich can hit your head something awful. My wife nursed and if we had to buy formula all of that time then we would've kicked out a whole lot of money.

Are you ready to be a father ? I would say yes because you asked. That alone shows that you have the desire but you want to make sure that you are prepared for this. You're ready. Are you ready to wake up when he/she cries just because ? Are you ready to watch your cell phone sink into a foot bath ? Are you ready to wash poop off of your finger and under your fingernails because sombody just had to move while changinh a daiper ? Are you ready to walk into a room and have your child scream Daddy while running top speed to give you a hug ? If you answered yes, then you're ready. Go ahead and do it, my wife and I are actually contemplating having another one. We would like for me to have a more stable job, being a contracto and feeling the sting of a Federal Employee pushing me out I want a full government position unless I find a way to have a radio show. I love children and my little guy is the greatest thing that I have every created.

Watching The Goonies there's a part at the end where Data (The litle asian kid) hugs his dad and tells him how he loves him and the dad looks at him and says, "You are my greatest invention" That shit is so real. My son is 2 years old now and he brings me so much joy. That little bastard makes me want to beat the piss out of him sometimes but as angry as I was when he took the bottle of lotion and rubbed it all over his body and the floor. I was angry, but we'll laugh about that someday. Just watching him grow and learn this world and life is worth everything "bad" that comes with it. They truly do grow fast.

3 months

6 months

And this is my little dude at 2.

My son knows the Redskins logo when he sees it. Go ahead and make one. It'll be the best thing that you have ever done.
Cute boy and my daughter knew the skins logo at the same age. I see sears does not make any money off you. LOL/JK
Old 10-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #53
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Congrats SD( the mod formerly known as smootsmack )
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #54
12thMan
MVP

I've been a dad for 19 years. Yep, you read that right. And no, I'm not some old mofo
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #55
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Congradulations Smoot!! Best job you will ever have!!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #56
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Congrats SS
It's a gift.......and a curse
AND Monkfan, you and your son make a great family portrait
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #57
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I've been a dad for 19 years. Yep, you read that right. And no, I'm not some old mofo
How lold are you 12th???

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #58
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
@5 yrs here and started all over again. And no. I'm not and old mofo either.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #59
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:

SMOOT!! That's such great news my friend! So glad to hear. All the best to you and the wife. I'm sure you'll be a great father.

My wife and I are still probably about 2 years away, maybe a bit less.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #60
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:

Congrads Dude Welcome to the club!