Official Capitals vs Flyers Playoff Thread

Other Sports

Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #46
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Official Capitals vs Flyers Playoff Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins8588 View Post
Which is true, but I did not in any way make this into a personal thing with anyone. I have no problem discussing this with anyone, and yes the "lucky" comment was more for the agitation than anything else. And its fine to bash the PENS again I really don't get worked up about like others...
I know.

Obviously not everyone here is a Capitals' fan, and not everyone needs to be. This isn't a Capitals fan site. But I'd say everyone should keep the hockey discussions to those who legitimately want to explain their team's (whether or not it's the Caps) strengths and weaknesses (strength: playing exceptionally well down the stretch, Ovechkin is Jordanesque in the clutch and Huet is allowing less than 2 goals per game since joining the Caps; weakness: not playoff tested, did they use up all their energy just getting to the playoffs),and leave the 8588's out of it. Otherwise, it can uneccesarily ugly.

8588 is a good member of this board, but-and he admits as much-in this case he's being very "Blue Star" and he's doing it on purpose. So if you think you're going to get bothered by him then it's probably best to just ignore him and essentially leave him out of the discussion.

I'll tell you this though, 8588 has absolutely succeeded in making me despise the Penguins at least for these playoffs. So kudos to you on that 8588

Advertisements
Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #47
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
For not being any better at it, it seems to me that you got worked up over it...
Now, Now....8588, don't get confused or take it the wrong way. I'm just having a little fun on a great hockey thread, ya gotta have passion for your team.

On a serious note. Us Cap fans haven't sniffed the playoffs in a handful of years we are stoked about how this team came together in the middle part of the season after a coaching change and in the basement of the Southeast, against all odds we fought our butts off to get in these playoff finals its huge for the Caps and the future of this Caps franchise.

And it came down to the very last game and we controlled our own destiny WIN and in or pack it up and we took care of our own business. With that said we are very proud of our position to overcome so many hurdles and just be in the hunt for Lord Stanley.

We'll see what happens now that the first step is accomplished?
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #48
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Is your keyboard broken? You keep capitalizing "PENS."
As it should be when one is talking about "GREATNESS"...

But in all seriousness, I will admit that this was/is in all good fun. Not to make anyone or change anything about the PENS but on the real side me being me, I see similarities between the PENS and the CAPS. Last season was the first season in 5 years that the PENS finally got back to the playoffs, not as long as a drought as the CAPS but still none the less a long time. Let alone win there division, which took them 10 years to win another division title. Both have young up coming stars and it is finally nice to be on this side of a team for once where they are actually good and didnt just barely get into the playoffs (not intended about the CAPS, but the Redskins)...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #49
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Anyhow, reading what the caps did to get to where they are I can understand the feelings that many cap fans must have. But I knew that if I came on here spouting off about the PENS I would be sure to ruffle feathers, and like I said it was to be in all good fun. I, in no way intended to try to get people to like the PENS. That would be foolish of me to think that I could. That would be like going to a cowboys board and trying to convert them to the Redskins way of the force, its not going to happen. So heres to the PENS dominating the playoffs and to a CAPS early exit...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #50
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I know.

Obviously not everyone here is a Capitals' fan, and not everyone needs to be. This isn't a Capitals fan site. But I'd say everyone should keep the hockey discussions to those who legitimately want to explain their team's (whether or not it's the Caps) strengths and weaknesses (strength: playing exceptionally well down the stretch, Ovechkin is Jordanesque in the clutch and Huet is allowing less than 2 goals per game since joining the Caps; weakness: not playoff tested, did they use up all their energy just getting to the playoffs),and leave the 8588's out of it. Otherwise, it can uneccesarily ugly.

8588 is a good member of this board, but-and he admits as much-in this case he's being very "Blue Star" and he's doing it on purpose. So if you think you're going to get bothered by him then it's probably best to just ignore him and essentially leave him out of the discussion.

I'll tell you this though, 8588 has absolutely succeeded in making me despise the Penguins at least for these playoffs. So kudos to you on that 8588
Well, I wasn't trying to win any CAP fans over by any means. What fun would it be if everyone just agreed with me or if I just agreed with all of you? Isn't this part of being fans? And besides that everyone knows that the PENGUINS are "AMERICA'S TEAM"...
Old 04-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #51
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Since goals win games in hockey, a quick look at goals for and against in the EASTERN CONF.

Goals for:
Flyers = 248
Caps = 242

Goals against:
Caps = 231
Flyers = 233

+/-:
Flyers = +15
Caps = +11

The Caps don't look THAT great now, do they? They were also the only team in their division to make the postseason, so "best of the worst" is fitting. If they were in either of the other Eastern Conf. divisions, they would not have won the division and may not have even made the playoffs. If they were in the Western Conference, they'd not only be out of the playoffs with their record, they'd be one of the worst teams.

They DO have the best player in the NHL, but one guy usually doesn't carry a team all the way.
As far as in other divisions, the Caps were 8-8-4 vs the Atlantic and 11-9 vs. the Northeast, and while that's full season, I imagine they had better numbers since Boudreau came aboard.

Since January 1, the Caps are +27 (136 For, 109 Against), while the Flyers are +5 (133 For, 128 Against), but who's counting now anyways?

But this is the playoffs...throw the regular season out the window, because it's on like Donkey Kong. Should be some great hockey over the next few weeks.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #52
Redskins8588
Playmaker

How about them PENS!?!? Total domination, 1 game down 3 to and then on to round 2. What a beast Gary Roberts is, after playing for 25 plus years the guy is still laying the wood out there on the ice. Flurry, what a performance on his first post-season shut out, hats off to him...

LET'S GO PENS!!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #53
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

If the Caps played the Sens in the first round too we'd all be posting like you right now lolol. We can't all be that lucky though.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #54
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
How about them PENS!?!? Total domination, 1 game down 3 to and then on to round 2. What a beast Gary Roberts is, after playing for 25 plus years the guy is still laying the wood out there on the ice. Flurry, what a performance on his first post-season shut out, hats off to him...

LET'S GO PENS!!!!
If I'm not mistaken, Ottawa was missing 3 injured starters going into the game (team captain Alfredsson, plus Chris Kelly and Mike Fisher), and lost their best defender (Volchenkov) in the 2nd period due to a puck to the face. Congrats on beating up on a team in your house that is decimated by injuries and crawled into the playoffs. Really something to be proud of there. They've been shutout three of their last five games.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #55
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, Ottawa was missing 3 injured starters going into the game (team captain Alfredsson, plus Chris Kelly and Mike Fisher), and lost their best defender (Volchenkov) in the 2nd period due to a puck to the face. Congrats on beating up on a team in your house that is decimated by injuries and crawled into the playoffs. Really something to be proud of there. They've been shutout three of their last five games.
43 Wins
31 Losses
8 Over Time Losses
94 Points

With stats like those your right that team did crawl into the playoffs, but unfortunately I am not talking about the Ottawa Senators. No, I am talking about your very own CAPS. So, with those stats if the Senators "crawled into the playoffs" then the same can be said about your CAPS, being that they have the same exact wins, losses, and points as the Senators. As for the injuries to the senators, well sucks to be them injuries are part of the game that is the way it goes...
Old 04-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #56
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
If the Caps played the Sens in the first round too we'd all be posting like you right now lolol. We can't all be that lucky though.
You are not lucky, you have to play a team from the best division in hockey...
Old 04-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #57
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
43 Wins
31 Losses
8 Over Time Losses
94 Points

With stats like those your right that team did crawl into the playoffs, but unfortunately I am not talking about the Ottawa Senators. No, I am talking about your very own CAPS. So, with those stats if the Senators "crawled into the playoffs" then the same can be said about your CAPS, being that they have the same exact wins, losses, and points as the Senators. As for the injuries to the senators, well sucks to be them injuries are part of the game that is the way it goes...
Dude, hello? Overall body of work, sure stats look the same. But consider the streaks to end the year. Ottawa lost a lot down the stretch and suffered some key injuries. Starting hot then finishing cold with injuries/losses, and going 3-6-1 in their last 10 games = CRAWLING into the playoffs as the second-to-last seed.

Meanwhile the Caps are the hottest team in the league, added some great talent at the trade deadline, and won 11 of 12 and 7 straight to finish the season, steamrolling in the playoffs. Your bias is making you look less intelligent than I hope you are.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #58
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
The Senators didn't beat the Capitals all year. Even when they were 100% healthy, we went 4-0 against them this season. Ha.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #59
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
This after repeatedly telling us that the Capitals were nothing but lucky
Old 04-11-2008, 06:02 AM   #60
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Dude, hello? Overall body of work, sure stats look the same. But consider the streaks to end the year. Ottawa lost a lot down the stretch and suffered some key injuries. Starting hot then finishing cold with injuries/losses, and going 3-6-1 in their last 10 games = CRAWLING into the playoffs as the second-to-last seed.

Meanwhile the Caps are the hottest team in the league, added some great talent at the trade deadline, and won 11 of 12 and 7 straight to finish the season, steamrolling in the playoffs. Your bias is making you look less intelligent than I hope you are.
If the Senators were in the same division as the caps they probably would have won that division. So that doesn't say much for the caps...