Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A Return of the Running Game?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do You Expect a More Balanced Offense in 2012?
Yes 80 72.73%
No 30 27.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #46
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I don't think he was dumb enough to show his cards and run it after a timeout though. He's not a dumb man, he was a successful NFL QB, which takes a brain. He's also a very good QB coach...but as a HC was in over his head.

I excuse the marroon and yellow and black comment as him spending too much time in Seattle...that place is REALLY OUT THERE and I'm not talking just geographically. I work with someone from Seattle too.
IMO yeah, he was (temporarily) dumb enough.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #47
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Thanks for your thoughts above.

I have a couple focused questions for you:

Do you expect the 2012 offense to be more balanced? (i.e. run the ball more then last year)

Do you want the 2012 Redskins to be more balanced?

Do you really think Kyle wants to run the ball more?
The Redskins haven't had a 1,000 yard rusher since 2008. I do expect them to run the ball a lot once they have the lead. But I expect them to throw it when the are trying to establish a lead. The NFL is a pass happy league so look for the Redskins to throw the ball more than they run.

Yes, I do expect the 2012 Washington Redskins offense to be more balanced. But being balanced means mixing in a certain number of passes with a mixture of runs.

I expect Kyle Shanahan to want to call more pass plays. He didn't have the 4th best offense in Houston in 2009 by running the ball. He wants to establish the Washington offense as an explosive offense. With Garcon, Hankerson, Morgan, and F. Davis to go along with a trimmed down Moss, I expect this season to be the Redskins most offensive explosion under Kyle Shanahan's direction yet.

Last edited by REDSKINS4ever; 06-20-2012 at 01:12 PM.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #48
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
The Redskins haven't had a 1,000 yard rusher since 2008. I do expect them to run the ball a lot once they have the lead. But I expect them to throw it when the are trying to establish a lead. The NFL is a pass happy league so look for the Redskins to throw the ball more than they run.

Yes, I do expect the 2012 Washington Redskins offense to be more balanced. But being balanced means mixing in a certain number of passes with a mixture of runs.

I expect Kyle Shanahan to want to call more pass plays. He didn't have the 4th best offense in Houston in 2009 by running the ball. He wants to establish the Washington offense as an explosive offense. With Garcon, Hankerson, Morgan, and F. Davis to go along with a trimmed down Moss, I expect this season to be the Redskins most offensive explosion under Kyle Shanahan's direction yet.
Based on your reply I'm gonna guess the answers to the questions (correct me if I'm wrong)

Do you expect the 2012 offense to be more balanced? (i.e. run the ball more then last year)
No

Do you want the 2012 Redskins to be more balanced?
? No

Do you really think Kyle wants to run the ball more?
No
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #49
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:

But how do you have a great passing attack? By having to keep the defense honest with a great running attach and using play action. We have seen Shanny make diamonds out of thin air when it comes to running backs. If we can stay healthy, IF, on the offensive line I think we will have a serious ground threat that will definitely help the passing game with our new competent QB and WR's.

So do I think we will run more? Yes. But it will be to help the passing game as well. Do I think Shanny Jr. wants to run more? No. He seems like a pass happy kind of dude. But we aren't Houston. We don't have Andre Johnson. Find the balance. Win the game.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #50
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
...So do I think we will run more? Yes. But it will be to help the passing game as well. Do I think Shanny Jr. wants to run more? No. He seems like a pass happy kind of dude. But we aren't Houston. We don't have Andre Johnson. Find the balance. Win the game.
I'm hoping we run more also.
But like you said Kyle is a pass happy OC.
He'll have more weapons in the passing game then ever before since he's been in DC. (Griff, Garcon, Hankerson, Morgan, Paul)

If Kyle is a pass happy OC (like he's shown himself to be) then I'm not sure what would compel him to run the ball more.

Last edited by 30gut; 06-22-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #51
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
But how do you have a great passing attack? By having to keep the defense honest with a great running attach and using play action. We have seen Shanny make diamonds out of thin air when it comes to running backs. If we can stay healthy, IF, on the offensive line I think we will have a serious ground threat that will definitely help the passing game with our new competent QB and WR's.

So do I think we will run more? Yes. But it will be to help the passing game as well. Do I think Shanny Jr. wants to run more? No. He seems like a pass happy kind of dude. But we aren't Houston. We don't have Andre Johnson. Find the balance. Win the game.
The way Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan calls plays, it's not far fetched to think that they will keep the defense honest by having RG3 do a lot of rollouts and bootlegs much like Gibbs used to have Joe Theismann and Jay Schroeder do. The Redskins have the wide receivers to not only go deep, but also to get open anywhere on the field. It's my opinion, but I can see Garcon emerging as a respected NFL WR in this offense. He, Hankerson, Moss, and Morgan will be the primary targets in the passing game all year. Figure Chris Cooley, Niles Paul, and Fred Davis into that passing game also. The running game will take care of itself. Both Helu and Royster are hungry for success after getting a taste of the NFL as rookies last season. Add Tim Hightower to that mix also. The Redskins are overdue for a 1,000 yard rusher. One of these three will be it.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #52
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
...The running game will take care of itself...
So you think Kyle will change his philosophy/play calling tendencies?
If so why?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #53
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
He'll have more weapons in the passing game then ever before since he's been in DC. (Griff, Garcon, Hankerson, Morgan, Paul)

If Kyle is a pass happy OC (like he's shown himself to be) then I'm not sure what would compell him to run the ball more.
I agree. This is especially true since he now has a strong-armed QB toy to play with.

I just can't see us running the ball more with Griffin than we did with Wrecks/Beck.
We won more with Vinny
Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #54
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:

If Kyle is a pass happy OC (like he's shown himself to be) then I'm not sure what would compel him to run the ball more.
Answer: Shanny Sr. I think Big Mike Shanahan likes to run the ball in that ZBS of his. We have seen the fruits of his labor in the past. I think Shanny Sr. will have some say so over Jr. in the "we need to run the ball some more" department. I agree with the idea that bootlegs and rollouts may be a staple in the run attack to keep defenses honest but I think we can be a threat with just our running backs (provided the Oline can stay healthy). That is a big asterisk right there...
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #55
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
So you think Kyle will change his philosophy/play calling tendencies?
If so why?
Namely because he has a new quarterback who is capable of making dynamic plays inside the pocket and on the run. Wouldn't that change the way that you call your offensive game plan?
Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #56
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Namely because he has a new quarterback who is capable of making dynamic plays inside the pocket and on the run. Wouldn't that change the way that you call your offensive game plan?
Yes, it would make me change my game plan. I would call more pass plays than before and hand it off to a running back less.

Which, to go back to the title of the thread, would hardly be a return of the running game.
We won more with Vinny
Old 06-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #57
SkinItup
Special Teams

Quote:
Answer: Shanny Sr. I think Big Mike Shanahan likes to run the ball in that ZBS of his. We have seen the fruits of his labor in the past. I think Shanny Sr. will have some say so over Jr. in the "we need to run the ball some more" department. I agree with the idea that bootlegs and rollouts may be a staple in the run attack to keep defenses honest but I think we can be a threat with just our running backs (provided the Oline can stay healthy). That is a big asterisk right there...
I'm not sure if we will run more but I certainly do expect the run to be more effective because of RG3. All the the play action rollouts will keep the back side defenders in place since one of the fast guys will be the QB and all the roll outs can quickly turn into qb keepers.
SkinItup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #58
RGIII

Kyle should take notes from the Vick-Dunn-Duckett years.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #59
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Wouldn't that change the way that you call your offensive game plan?
We're not talking about some generalized or ambiguous "change".
We're talking specifically about whether or not the offense will/should become more balanced in the playcalling philosophy.
If Kyle's philosophy/playcalling were to become more balanced he would need to run the ball more.

So to answer your question directly: Certainly, having Griff as opposed to Rex/Beck would make change my offensive game plan.
But, having a dynamic QB, one of the best QB prospect in recent memory as opposed to Rex/Beck (near league worst QBs) wouldn't make me pass less.
It would make me maintain my pass first focus if not increase my pass first tendencies.

I have a direct question for you: Would having a QB who is capable of making dynamics plays in the passing game and running the ball cause you to pass less?

Last edited by 30gut; 06-22-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #60
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Answer: Shanny Sr. I think Big Mike Shanahan likes to run the ball in that ZBS of his. We have seen the fruits of his labor in the past. I think Shanny Sr. will have some say so over Jr. in the "we need to run the ball some more" department....
Well we know Mike Shanahan likes to a balanced offense as evidenced by his career pass/run ratio which is almost exactly 50/50 pass/run. <--heck that ratio now is probably considered run heavy.

But, I don't think Mike dictates the philosophy or gameplan to Kyle or any of his previous OCs.
Surely, if Mike was the OC last year we would have run the ball more often and more effectively much sooner in the year and maintained it all through the season.
Kyle threw the ball 591 times with Rex/Beck as his QBs, despite having a QB situation thatt warranted leaning on the running game if not at a minimum a more balanced attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinswin
I agree with the idea that bootlegs and rollouts may be a staple in the run attack to keep defenses honest but I think we can be a threat with just our running backs (provided the Oline can stay healthy). That is a big asterisk right there
Well the boot action (bootlegs, nakeds, 'rollouts') and the zone stretch run go hand-in-hand they're complementary plays.
The success of the stretch run is made possible because the boot-action limits the backside pursuit, which creates cutback lanes.