Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

At Seasons End Ganther or Rock Who Do You Keep?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #46
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: At Seasons End Ganther or Rock Who Do You Keep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Don't look at me....I never stopped. Even after his nice game "with" Betts a few games ago I said don't get too high on him. He sucks by himself.

But if we are looking towards to future of this team and trying to get younger "everywhere" then all 3 RB's need to go. I said that last year as well although I also said Mason was our man. LOL.
i'm all for getting younger in certain areas but you need solid vets on the team. you can't win with all young guys.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #47
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

A poll would be nice with this thread, but Ganther, no doubt.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #48
rao2
Camp Scrub

You have to keep rock but if possible both.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #49
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I just don't understand it. The guy has ran the ball very well and simply doesn't get any respect. The coaches shit on him and he doesn't deserve it.
Rock Cartwright is definitely a guy you want on your team, but let's also consider the fact that running backs get old really fast, so if you have a good quality, hard working, young running back who is productive, you keep him over the vet if you have to choose only one.

Right now, I think Portis is the odd man out.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #50
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail to the Redskins View Post
Just have to point out, and I'm sure someone else will remember this and back me up, in Ganther's first play as a Redskin he picked up a blitzer and STUCK him.. I remember thinking then, hey he blocks like Portis but he must not be able to run (trying to figure out why he was FA, but I think it was mostly because he is slow... lol... you see him get run down in no time on the one play today? lol)

Regardless, he is a tough S.O.B. and will block and run hard... which will make him susceptible to injury, hence the need for him to split carries... but he can block
He was run down by a coner which most of the time are the fastest players on the field which I don't think is that big of a deal/ I say we keep him Betts and Rock and say good by to CP.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #51
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

I pick Ganther, but lets split the carries with Rock and him the last 3 games. We will have a better sample size.

What we know is Rock is solid and good special teamer. And as others have said, lets not forget Betts. I wonder if Portis knows, that a lot of fans are sick of his bs and ready to move on. I dont know if he would be ready to accept that. Not that I care what he thinks.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #52
ashvirtually
Special Teams

Why can't we keep both? Why give up either?
ashvirtually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #53
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
The guy has proven his worth over the course of his 8 seasons here. I'm not going to even bother addressing this silly crap about him "sucking".
What has Rock done? He had one year under Spurrier that he was given the chance to be the #1 RB. Betts came in and did better. Then we brought in Portis. I know he's been a team guy, but exactly what has he done at the RB level that shows he is worthy to be the #1 RB or back up? Apparently he has not lived up to the hype to be a #1 other wise they would not have picked up other RB and put ahead of him on the roster. Portis never would have been brought in had Rock been worthy to be a #1 RB.

I thank him for his contributions as a KR and team leader, but at some point you have to make way for youth. Thomas has been filling in nicely as a KR and getting the same if not more yards as a KR.

If the sole purpose you want him on the team is because of his team leadership then turn him into a coach or an assistant for a coach and keep the leadership. Atleast that way he doesn't count against a CAP we hopefully won't have next year.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #54
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

I am sick of Rock complaining all the time. I understand his frustration, but no need to moan and groan to the media all the time.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #55
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
He was run down by a coner which most of the time are the fastest players on the field which I don't think is that big of a deal/ I say we keep him Betts and Rock and say good by to CP.
True, plus someone mentioned he ran over a LB yesterday so you have to pick what you want. A bruising back who is not affraid to run over people or a fast RB like Alridge who will out run everyone to include CB's.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #56
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
I am sick of Rock complaining all the time. I understand his frustration, but no need to moan and groan to the media all the time.
Maybe if he would actually produce as a RB the team wouldn't have to keep looking for someone else who can do the job better.

I for one was happy with the two back system when Betts and Rock were both in the game. Both runners had an excellent day. The following week when he had to step in for Betts he couldn't get more yards then the 2nd stringer who had the same amount of carries (Ganther) or the QB.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #57
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Warrior View Post
Ganther has played hard since joining the team but Rock has contributed as well. Who do you keep?

Who else is in the mix? That will certainly be part of my choice here.
I would keep Ganther and Cartwright before I kept Mason next year.

I would keep a healthy Ladell Betts but not one who is still rehabbing.

I would keep Portis only if he exhibited significantly modified practice behavior.

What other RBs will be in camp?
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #58
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Who else is in the mix? That will certainly be part of my choice here.
I would keep Ganther and Cartwright before I kept Mason next year.

I would keep a healthy Ladell Betts but not one who is still rehabbing.

I would keep Portis only if he exhibited significantly modified practice behavior.

What other RBs will be in camp?
Actually I'm with you. Somewhat.

At this point we have:
Portis
Betts
Rock
Ganther
Mason
Alridge.

I would let Portis go. He's getting old, beat up, and doesn't want to practice or play preseason. Clearly a cancer or starting to be. If Betts can come back then keep him let Rock go, we have Thomas who can KR. If Betts is done or is significantly hampered then keep Ganther, Rock, Mason, and Alridge and let them all battle it out next preseason.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #59
diehard
The Starter

Cut ties w/Portis and let Betts and Cartwright set their own market. They're both valuable on teams and will be more than serviceable backing up Ganther.

Mason has little value because he sucks in the return game and hasn't had a great opportunity to show consistency running the ball.
diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #60
pg86
No new threads for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
Cut ties w/Portis and let Betts and Cartwright set their own market. They're both valuable on teams and will be more than serviceable backing up Ganther.

Mason has little value because he sucks in the return game and hasn't had a great opportunity to show consistency running the ball.
Alternate...Ganther, Betts,Cartwright, and yes even Mason, teams seem not to know what to do when we bring multiple looks like this
pg86 is offline   Reply With Quote