Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Post Indy Game Thoughts

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #46
rypper11
The Starter

Re: Post Indy Game Thoughts

Hopefully beating up on a really bad team gives the team some confidence going into the season but there hasn't been game planning yet or defenses gearing to take away specific offensive plays. IMO a lot this season depends on offensive playcalling. Yes Rex forced a lot last season but the playcalling was abysmal. The one thing preseason can't tell us is if Kyle will remain patient in the calls.
Griffin can make all the throws. Morris is improving drastically in blitz pick up and could be a great contributor if not starter. IMO Garcon, Moss, Cooley and Davis will alternately have big games this season but I doubt there'll be a 1000 yd receiver on the team. Hankerson and Paul drop too many and Briscoe is still raw on his routes for any to top 100 yd games.
Defensively the front seven looks great and I wouldn't be surprised if a LB cut doesn't wind up on someone elses roster before the season starts. Dropped ints are a big concern for me. We need to some short fields this year.

Advertisements
Old 08-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #47
JoLo
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper11 View Post
IMO Garcon, Moss, Cooley and Davis will alternately have big games this season but I doubt there'll be a 1000 yd receiver on the team.
Oh see i think your so wrong there. It looks like Garcon and RG3 have some real chemistry. If both players play all 16 games i see garcon going for over 80 catches and over 1100 yards. Because they connect a lot and Garcon can easily average over 14 yards a catch with his RAC ability.
JoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #48
los panda
Pro Bowl

griffin iii to garcon is going to be very prolific
Old 08-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #49
ethat001
Impact Rookie

First, it was good to have a good win after the Bears killed us last week with the pass rush. I'm not as negative as GTripp seems to be, but I agree in principle -- in that we should all temper our expectations for this year -- but look forward to success for the next decade.

1) O-LINE: They did well this game. But the Colts pass rush is not as good as the Bears. And not as good as Dallas, Giants, and Eagles. At this point, RG3 is like every other QB on the planet -- he will struggle if the O-line struggles. He's dynamic and can run, but cannot evade multiple D-linemen coming in unprotected. I'm hoping they gel quickly, as they all have been injured & have not played together as a unit much. Hoping to upgrade here long-term if our youth doesn't develop quickly. Our cap hit killed us here and the secondary.

2) QB - RG3 has been good, and still developing. I loved seeing him take off running -- but pull up to deliver a crisp pass. Much rather see that than have him run & take the hits. The long ball should come with time & practice w our receivers. Rex is still a great QB most of the time -- that kills you with turnovers in key situations -- but doesn't deserve to be boo'ed. Was at the game & I was disappointed in our fans.

3) WR/TE - The deep balls were overthrown, but the bigger issue is the WR's did not have much separation. Briscoe seems like a keeper. Banks may be out. Hank dropped pass. Moss seems too old to be running back punts, I'm scared for him and beginning to think he has some injury clause in his contract. Why else does a 33yr old volunteer for punts? Glad to see Davis finally caught a pass - I'm not sure why we're not using Davis but can only assume we're testing the new guys & he will break out during the season. Watching Cooley catch that 5 yard pass and fall down -- was nostalgic but made me think about his $6 million contract.

3) SECONDARY - Still a concern, still making changes. Hopefully someone steps up. As we face the Brees, Mannings, Romos, Vicks of the world -- we're going to need our 3rd and 4th string CBs and safeties to be much better with all of the multi-receiver offenses. Even the Colts were moving the ball on us, and Luck was on pace for a ~300 yd passing game. Will be a long season.

4) MORRIS - Welcome to the roster. True to form, any Shanahan RB seems to do well with the zone blocking. Good game, but at this point they're interchangeable.

Will say that Fletcher makes our defense better, glad he's back & healthy.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #50
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
What do you guys think of RG3 through the preseason? About expected? A little better than?
It's too tough to tell cause it's pre season and no one is game planning, mixing coverages and showing blitz packages. I will say this. He certainly doesn't look like Heath Shuler back there. We finally got to see that he's potentially a great deep ball thrower. Love the quick release, so far so good but I will reserve any real judgement until week one.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #51
Bubba305-ST21-
Impact Rookie

My favorite free agent pick up other than garcon and morgan is Tanard Jackson he showed a little of what he can do last night, I think he brings some ball hawking skills that we havent had back there since Sean, he will create turnovers, I jut hope merriweather can have a good year as well which I think he can. My bigger concern is the o-line, although they played good last night.
never another.....R.I.P. Sean T #21
Bubba305-ST21- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #52
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
1. GRIFFIN played very well, unfortunately he couldn't connect on a deep pass but it will come. He has all the tools to become an elite QB.
Andrew Luck is the real deal as well, he can move way better than ppl think and his accuracy is Manning like.

2. Trent Williams absolutely dominated the colts, both pass and run blocking. He's a top ten LT and continues to show it.

3. Defense played very well especially front 7. I think the starters had 3 sacks which is great. Wilson and hall played well as did Jackson.

4. Morris is the new Starter no doubt, the guy isn't a star but he's Better than the rest of our backs. Roy helu could be but he can't stay healthy.

5. We r deep at WR, a position we were so weak at a year ago. GARCON, Moss, Hank, Morgan, Briscoe. Not to mention our stacked TEs. Very excited
I think he starts too. I love the way he runs. No nonsense, makes one cut and runs violent.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #53
GusFrerotte

I can't see why we couldn't go 8-8 or even above .500. Everyone is sharp on both sides of the ball pretty much. Do you guys think we try to trade Hightower? Can we trade Hightower? I like AH, but I don't think we can have 4 RBs as we lack depth in other areas.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #54
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

The Redskins will make the playoffs this year, laugh all you want. They were 5-11 last year, lost many close games, had many injuries and shitty QB play. This year we have a rookie QB who is light years better than last year, a better OL, WR, TE, LB, DL and depth. The only weakness and it actually could be an improvent is the secondary, but it is still flawed somewhat.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #55
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
The Redskins will make the playoffs this year, laugh all you want. They were 5-11 last year, lost many close games, had many injuries and shitty QB play. This year we have a rookie QB who is light years better than last year, a better OL, WR, TE, LB, DL and depth. The only weakness and it actually could be an improvent is the secondary, but it is still flawed somewhat.
Amen bro! I say 9-7 but idk if that's enough
Old 08-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #56
SkinItup
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
it was a good showing against a BAD team. lots to like, but i still want to see it translate to the saints game
We will eat up their D, or we could at least, it is not much to fear without Smith, and Vilma.

That is really a test to see how far our D has come.
SkinItup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #57
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

there is no excuse not to put up points against N.O.. If we don't come out with at least 21 points I'd be worried
Old 08-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #58
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
there is no excuse not to put up points against N.O.. If we don't come out with at least 21 points I'd be worried
Yeah, but it's gonna take 40 to beat them.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #59
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Yeah, but it's gonna take 40 to beat them.
True
Old 08-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #60
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Opening with the Saints away is a tough way to start a season.