Updated: Browns Select WR Josh Gordon in 2nd Round

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #46
30gut
Playmaker

re: Updated: Browns Select WR Josh Gordon in 2nd Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I'm only convinced we have 3 WR on the roster who will be on the team past this season (Hankerson, Garçon and Morgan) so no harm in scouting him. The question will be if we draft and develop him will he be ready to be an impact player in 2013, which is when his draft pick will impact us. Will he be better than Moss, Armstrong or Robinson in 2013 and most importantly, is he past his character issues?
I don't like the idea of spending anything higher then a 5th round pick on a future draft pick (from an already thin pool of picks) for a player that is not counted on to make an immediate impact.

Nevermind that he's a marginal productive player with a checkered personal history.

Drafting another WR adds to and further confuses/limits an already crowded glut of receivers with an as yet unquantified ability level based on playing time.
And imo you cannot make a personnel decision about a player until you have somewhat of a quantified evaluation of their ability level.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #47
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I'd guess Dallas is definitely the team
Hopefully, a 2nd-round pick lost for this guy would be great for them.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #48
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
I'm only convinced we have 3 WR on the roster who will be on the team past this season (Hankerson, Garçon and Morgan) so no harm in scouting him. The question will be if we draft and develop him will he be ready to be an impact player in 2013, which is when his draft pick will impact us. Will he be better than Moss, Armstrong or Robinson in 2013 and most importantly, is he past his character issues?

Yeah exactly. While we may have a logjam at WR, its a logjam of mediocre WR's and those who have yet to prove much, save Moss.

I am against adding Josh Gordon for anything lower than a 5th round pick (maybe a 4th if RGiii vouches for him). But in terms of our WR core i dont think adding him will jam anything up.

"Locks":

Moss
Garcon
Morgan

Then:
Hankerson (probably a lock, i just want more than one game from him before i treat him like hes totally awesome)
Terrence Austin
AA
Aldrick Robinson
Others

So unless you think Terrence Austin, AA or Robinson is a better prospect theres no harm in going after Gordon with a late round pick. If we keep 6 WRs it wont be too hard finding space for him.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #49
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I don't like the idea of spending anything higher then a 5th round pick on a future draft pick (from an already thin pool of picks) for a player that is not counted on to make an immediate impact.

Nevermind that he's a marginal productive player with a checkered personal history.

Drafting another WR adds to and further confuses/limits an already crowded glut of receivers with an as yet unquantified ability level based on playing time.
And imo you cannot make a personnel decision about a player until you have somewhat of a quantified evaluation of their ability level.
I'm not really for or against drafting him but I think we owe it to ourselves to at a minimum evaluate him. If we pick him, it's for 2013 and beyond. At this point after missing a year of college football and missing all offseason work, he's nothing more than the 53rd man on the roster and the #6 receiver.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #50
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I think our sub-par WR production over the last X years has a lot to do with our poorish QB performance. Let's see what RGIII can do with what reasonably looks like at least a decent corp or WRs that we already have. Good QB performance can make average WRs look like all-pros. Protect the QB to give him time to work through progressions and there will be an open WR somewhere. Make the throw and magically that WR is better already. And it didn't cost us a draft pick.

What everyone forgets is that the draft pick can be used on a position next year that we actually need to really improve. Not on a position that we already put resources into and have yet to even see on the field whether that has paid off.
No doubt QB play has held us back. Griffin can do things we just haven't seen over the last several years i.e. fire a laser rolling out either direction etc. However, we haven't provided him w/ very good WR targets for the endzone. Moss is a little guy, though has a knack for finding open spaces in the endzone. Garcon, from all the video I can find, struggles to find open space whether it's underneath the defense, redzone or endzone. Garcon, up to this point at least, has to "beat" the defender with a quick slant or in a footrace to gain big yards. Morgan and Hankerson are total question marks regarding redzone/endzone situations.

Short of adding a big target WR I think we'll see most touchdowns come from TEs and RBs. Something akin to the Patriots last year (hopefully). Regardless, it would be awesome to get Griffin a big WR target in the next couple/few years.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #51
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
I'm not really for or against drafting him but I think we owe it to ourselves to at a minimum evaluate him. If we pick him, it's for 2013 and beyond. At this point after missing a year of college football and missing all offseason work, he's nothing more than the 53rd man on the roster and the #6 receiver.
And that's why it all depends on what round your talking about for me.
Imo this team cannot afford to spend anything more then a 5th or later on the 53rd man/6th WR.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #52
joeyt56
Camp Scrub

First of all I dont think this kid is as bad a guy as everyone seems to think. Yes, he smoked some bud in college and got caught and booted off the team. Then after he transfered to Utah who, "did their homework and thought he deserved another chance" was suspended for the year due to transefer rules not unlike what happened to LeRibeus. Im willing to bet 95% of the people on the site have smoked some weed and probably in college. Yes, I understand he had higher stakes than most of us but im not gonna condem a kid for being a kid. I also think that coming here with RG3 tellin him that he put his name on the line and to keep it clean, not to mention guys like Davis and Williams who I truely think have learned from their mistakes will mentor him with experience from past mistakes. Just sayin, I think he deserves a look.
joeyt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #53
30gut
Playmaker

TheSidelineView.com reports the Eagles are attending Baylor WR Josh Gordon's Tuesday Pro Day.
Gordon has drawn a big crowd, but the only teams confirmed to be in attendance are the Cowboys, Eagles, Bills and Browns. Gordon is listed at 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, but The Sideline View's Adam Caplan reports he's likely to be measured at 6-foot-3. He's expected to be timed in the 4.4s in the 40-yard dash.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter Jul 10 - 11:03 AM

The Philadelphia Eagles, Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills, and Dallas Cowboys were among the teams confirmed to have attended. Obviously, there were Texans officials on hand, too. In all, 21 teams showed up.

Caplan reports that Gordon ran a 4.52 forty-yard dash after measuring in at 6-foot-3 1/8 and 224 pounds. Gordon recorded a 36-inch vertical leap with a 10-foot, 1-inch broad jump. He did 13 reps on the bench.

Supplemental draft prospect Gordon runs 4.52 forty at Pro Day | ProFootballTalk
Old 07-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #54
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think I heard he ran a 4.5 today
Old 07-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #55
joeyt56
Camp Scrub

As for using a pick in the supplemental on him? I absolutly agree a 3rd is way too rich for my blood and was hoping to use a 5th or 6th. That being said, the supplemental draft is always overhyped and teams throw out rumors to get other teams to either reach with a higher pick than needed or cross them off their board altogether. I would not be surprised if he falls to at least the 4th. I also wonder why everyone here and elsewhere was mocking a WR to us before the draft and now we are "set"? What has changed? Moss lost wieght and is looking good? Also, if we do use a bargain pick on him this year he will get very little playing time and mostly be developing. Which in turn would put him a year ahead of any reciever we draft in 2013. Therefor speeding up the development and talent of our WR overall by 2014.
joeyt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #56
mbedner3420
The Starter

PFT says 21 teams showed up for the workout. Anyone have a clue which teams those were - did the Skins show up is what I'm really asking...
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #57
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
PFT says 21 teams showed up for the workout. Anyone have a clue which teams those were - did the Skins show up is what I'm really asking...
Yes they were there, also....Gordon's QB today was JEVAN SNEAD!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #58
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Obviously the Shanahans were there to scout Snead.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #59
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Did he get with anyone else after Tampa Bay released him? In league?
Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #60
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Obviously the Shanahans were there to scout Snead.
Decent plan.

Cut Rex. Promote Cousins to backup. Put Snead on PS.

Then we take the cap savings from losing Grossman to coax Randel El out of retirement to return kicks.