Commanders Post at The Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Commanders Post at The Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Locker Room Main Forum Commanders Football & NFL discussion

ST memorial “statue”

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-27-2024, 10:05 AM   #46
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: ST memorial “statue”

Peters is gutting the team of Rivera picks and Harris is improving every thing that has Snyder stench on it. This franchise is going to look brand new in a year or 2.

Advertisements
Old 08-27-2024, 11:02 PM   #47
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Am I the only one that doesn't understand why Sean Taylor is getting a statue? For what? Getting murdered? It was an absolute crime what happened to the guy and was taken way too soon. Call me an asshole, but I simply don't understand the fan-hood worship of ST. He made 1 pro-bowl and no all-pro prior to his death.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 12:10 AM   #48
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't understand why Sean Taylor is getting a statue? For what? Getting murdered? It was an absolute crime what happened to the guy and was taken way too soon. Call me an asshole, but I simply don't understand the fan-hood worship of ST. He made 1 pro-bowl and no all-pro prior to his death.
Quite arguably the most polarizing athlete and defensive player the team has had in the past.... who knows how long. Feared across the league, faced and basically owned some of the most highly touted WRs of a certain generation... the Fandom and hype was real. His potential and future was real. I forget if it was ryan clark or Portis but since he came into the league... you could tell he was the best athlete on the field on GameDay. He was a generational talent that got cut short but his play and his personality not only captivated but stole the hearts of fans just like myself. In just a very short period of time on the field he legit is top 5 favorite players since I started watching this team as a young child in 1990. Prpbably my favorite player of all time. The admiration of his coaches amd his teammates speaks volumes. There's emotions as raw as his talent involved in this situation. It's a lot to explain but... I'm happy he's getting a proper statue.

Doesn't make you an asshole for having an opinion but hopefully this sheds some light and gives some insight into the why behind the what.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 08:27 AM   #49
davy
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
No, you're not the only one.
While his death was a tragedy, he was hugely overrated as a player IMHO.
Pretty sure he only went to the pro bowl because someone else dropped out.

Cue the abuse.
Old 08-28-2024, 09:01 AM   #50
MTK
\m/

I have no problem with anyone questioning why he's getting a statue or why his number was retired before the likes of Riggins, Monk, Green, etc.

As usual the prior regime did things ass backwards.
Old 08-28-2024, 09:43 AM   #51
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Who really "deserves" a statue? What are the criteria?

It's all subjective, I suppose.

For me, it was a combination of where he came from, what he had accomplished in his short time as a Redskin, what he had the potential to become, and how it all came to an abrupt end. My guess is most Redskins fans at the time can remember to this day where they were when they heard/saw the news that he was shot. Then there was seemingly this short time where it sounded like he was going to be ok, and then it was reported that he passed. It was a gut punch.

I don't have a problem with the statue. I'm glad they did it, and I'm even happier that the new ownership group is making it better. For those of you who don't think he or his family "deserve" it, you're ok to think that.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 09:52 AM   #52
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
No, you're not the only one.
While his death was a tragedy, he was hugely overrated as a player IMHO.
Pretty sure he only went to the pro bowl because someone else dropped out.

Cue the abuse.
Overrated? Honestly don't recall hearing anyone say that about him.

He was a legit superstar in the making who was just starting to hit his peak.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:14 AM   #53
HTTR
Impact Rookie

It’s not about a player deserving something for his stats or Pro Bowls. Or even about getting something for being murdered. It’s about a powerful emotional event that sent a shockwave through Redskins nation and galvanized fans in a way that nothing else had in that era. I went to the first game after his death with 21 stenciled on the back window of my car. That was a rough day, one that made us all feel like a family. That’s what the statue symbolizes, the powerful bond that unites Skins fans. Good on Harris for this classy move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2024, 11:03 AM   #54
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR View Post
It’s not about a player deserving something for his stats or Pro Bowls. Or even about getting something for being murdered. It’s about a powerful emotional event that sent a shockwave through Redskins nation and galvanized fans in a way that nothing else had in that era. I went to the first game after his death with 21 stenciled on the back window of my car. That was a rough day, one that made us all feel like a family. That’s what the statue symbolizes, the powerful bond that unites Skins fans. Good on Harris for this classy move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I totally get it. I guess the bigger issue for me was retiring his number, that could have waited.

Either way not a huge deal, I can see both sides.
Old 08-28-2024, 09:04 PM   #55
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I still remember it vividly. I followed his career from the time he was drafted because I was so jealous of what the Ravens had in Ed Reed.

2004 he had a solid rookie season, I wouldn't say it was Pro Bowl worthy but he def. had some highlights - remember him denying Randy Moss on the deep ball? Overall 2004 was a great year for the defense too and he played his part.

2005 was another good year, especially with the obvious highlights of him returning the fumbles for touchdowns (which btw - our last playoff win was directly because of him).

2006 was easily his worst year as I remember him and Archuleta getting beaten like a drum all year long, and despite only grabbing 1 pick that was his Pro Bowl year for some weird reason. I think players were starting to recognize his game even though he didn't have a great season.

2007 everything clicked. His daughter was born, all the off-the-field drama went away, and he had 5 picks in 7 games including two of Brett Fav-ruh. I mean the range he displayed on one of those picks - flying across the field to grab it before toe-tapping out of bounds, that was a career highlight for me. Undoubtedly if he had played a full season maybe he wouldn't knock off Ed Reed for an All-Pro but he easily would've been in contention for second team All-Pro. We weren't giving up the deep ball at all the first half of the season.

And then he got injured and we all know what happened. I was shell shocked. Of course he's one of many examples of people with amazing talent getting struck down in the prime of their lives. It just rings harder because we were all thrilled that he got his shit together and everything clicked.

Statue is up for debate but I think that was Snyder pulling every trick out of the bag to appease himself to a fanbase that hated him. Better career in a Redskins uni vs Chris Samuels, Trent Williams, Ryan Kerrigan, etc? No but if he had played 10 years for us I think his career trajectory would be mentioned amongst them.

It is what it is. But he's still my favorite player because I've never seen a high scoring Commies offense. And lockdown defense wins championships. And he was on his way to becoming what I believe is the best Redskins defender of our time (post 2000's era) - with all due respect to Kerrigan I don't think he ever played on a top 5 defense.