Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Raiders)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-14-2009, 12:05 AM   #46
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Raiders)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Nonsense sir. I think consensus has been there quite some time...Snyder can only "save" the team by firing one person, that weird little toady Vinny, and then bringing in a professional football man to decide the other issues you mention.
Vinny does deserve credit for ignoring O-line depth last offseason. Orakpo was definitely the right pick in the 1st round, but how do you go the rest of the draft without selecting an O-lineman despite the dire need? Worse still, when Jason is proving his meddle under fire, Vinny will go out and draft a QB with our 1st round pick before addressing O-line, mark my words.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #47
duetsch215
Special Teams

you cant get a good game free of bullcrap calls from the refs anymore
Old 12-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #48
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Agreed. I have lost all confidence in Moss as a #1 receiver. Let him return punts and come in off the bench at wideout.
When did you have confidence in him being a 1? I really never did.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:28 AM   #49
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Blache decided last year that Rogers wasn't capable of playing corner in his system. Why? Baffles the best of us. We're really not even sure what his system is, frankly. Last year, we were blitz-happy, more than any other team in the league, but we weren't very good at it. This year, we blitz a lot less, and are a little bit better at it than we were last year.

Blache is an odd dude. I would say that his decision making doesn't make me comfortable, but that would be disingenuous. He makes decisions that seem to be more based about making himself comfortable than actually winning the ball game. And as a result, I have no idea whether he's succeeding or failing.
Rogers got benched last year cause he deserved it. And don't you think Rogers position coach has a say in his playing time? Or do you think it's just Blache?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:34 AM   #50
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well I did say coaching staff...not necessarily head coach

Seriously though, I go back and forth on it. Zorn seems like a good guy and I'd love for him to succeed here but I don't know what value he brings. I mean is it really undeniable that it's Zorn that has this team playing its heart out? Because where was that heart at the end of last year against teams like Cincy and San Fran? Where was it at the beginning of this year against the Lions and Chiefs of the league?
I hope the staff comes back next year. Tearing it apart and starting over is not what this team needs.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #51
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I hope the staff comes back next year. Tearing it apart and starting over is not what this team needs.
Wouldn't it be the ultimate form of justice if Zorn is allowed to come back and Vinny gets fired? Ironically Vinny's decision to hire Sherm Lewis is the reason the offense has turned around but in all honesty the guy has no idea how to build a football team, only how to add good players here and there, but as far as an overall team I believe he virtually has no idea.

If we do get a new head coach next year I think that we can't settle for anyone less then Holmgren. Shannahan's ok, but if you want to do that 'keep the coaches and hire a new head coach' deal then you need to hire a guy thats familiar with what the previous regime set up, as well as our best offensive weapon (Sherm Lewis).

Another possibility would be to swallow your pride, fire Vinny, and bring in GW. Gibbs would probably have to mediate but at the same time you could keep the current offense in tact, along with the key coaches that would like to come back, like Buges, Gray, and even Blache. My one concern would be GW's reputation as a conservative head coach but after seeing what happened in New Orleans I can imagine that a change in philosophy could be in order.

Earlier I would have been all for Gruden coming in but given the level of complexity in his offense (even though it's a variation on the WCO) I'd have a hard time getting on board. Not saying that I wouldn't but it isn't the type of thing that I'd be as happy about as I was say a month or two ago.

Either way the one constant in all these scenarios is getting rid of Vinny.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:03 AM   #52
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Rogers got benched last year cause he deserved it. And don't you think Rogers position coach has a say in his playing time? Or do you think it's just Blache?
You're going to have to defend such empty rhetoric.

I do think Jerry Gray gets a say in what happens to Rogers, but again, "a say" is hardly a final decision. If Jerry Gray was calling the plays, a lot of the bizarre calls probably wouldn't be made.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:10 AM   #53
mike340
Special Teams

I think Landry would make a great wide receiver. After all, he seems to always be wide open when the ball comes his way.
mike340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:00 AM   #54
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Whoever played LT allowed one sack atleast by simply turning in and helping to block down inside....completely left his man on the outside free to sack the QB. We definitly need some young, healthy, strong OL. Perhaps a better blocking scheme would work also. Cue Alex Gibbs.

JC didn't do bad but didn't do great either. He's proven he can take a hit. My issues still remain; he fails to move his protection to the blitzing side (in other words reading defenses), He seems to throw behind his receivers as if he can't anticipate and throw the ball where they "will" be vs. where they have been (an example would be Davis's 20yrd catch he had to slow down and turn completely around to catch the ball, and Moss's slant which he dropped the ball.), My last issue I still think he is throwing too hard on the 5-10 yrd routes and an expample would be the pass to ARE that was not only over thrown but too hard and slipped through his hands.

ARE, wow, no wonder the Steelers didn't put up so much money for you. At this point can we just let Thomas do KR/PR and Perhaps let Kelly take up the slot or move Moss to that positions and make Thomas and Kelly our two main WR's for the rest of the season just to give them some work. Right now I'm thinking of even putting Mitchell ahead of ARE.

Danny Smith, whoever is HC next year needs to let this man go. Our ST have not been that great "ever" since he's been here. Not sure if it's his scheme or the lack of players carrying it out but either way it has not worked. We need a bona fide ST coach. Someone who knows what the hell they are doing or atleast knows how to do it better then Smith.

Landry, hello is there anyother way you can get burned? I would say maybe you should be covering a TE but most likely you would whiff on that also. However you finally looked better as the SS.

Rogers, I'm not sure what to say. Someone said he screwed up also. I guess I forgot or missed that it was him. I hate to say it but I hope he decides to go elsewhere for more money next year or I pray someone decides to fork over the money for his lame ass.

Whats bad points with out the good.....

Ganther, dude I'm glad we picked you up. It's fun to finally see a RB who is difficult to bring down like what Dallas and the Giants have. Definitly need to shed the dead wood this off season if there's no CAP, bye Portis, Betts, and Rock.

Davis, man just keep impressing all the time. Don't fret the penalty man any other time and that's not a penalty. Refs were simply trying to keep Oak in the game as best they could.

Thomas, is getting better all the time.

Sherm Lewis, Another good game plan executed well.

Orakpo, when turned lose he's a monster. Definitly should be Rookie of the year.

Alexander, brother what a way to step up and show your worth. Both on ST and getting a sack.

Carter, Great job too bad your not young like Orakpo. Not sure how much longer you'll be with us due to age.

Fletcher, Although your doing your job quietly it's amazing to watch.

Great game, second week in a row with 30 points. Now I'm getting truly scared. I want to see Cerrato, Zorn and Co. out the door. People keep giving credit to Cerrato and Snyder will come up with some lame excuse to keep him. If there is any part that needs to be kept for the future it would be Sherm Lewis...not sure if he can fit in with whatever new regime comes in.....assuming it's Shanahan then most likely he brings his son, would love to have Alex Gibbs, and maybe they can bring in Kubiak as Asst. HC. Shanahan's son can be OC. I'm just not sure what we could call Sherm Lewis in order to help out with the game planning. I guess if we fail to pick up Shanahan's son cause someone offers him a HCing job we can keep Lewis.

Edit: How on earth could I forget ...Gano! Boy you Rock. Keep the kicks coming.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:10 AM   #55
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Your killing me. This regime had 8 games last year where it failed to put points on the board and failed to fix the problem. Then 8 games at the beginning of this season we see the same thing. Why would we want to keep status quo? Zorn was in control of the last 2 min. of the games and still did horrible. Our only saving grace has been an aged Bingo caller who kindly decided to come and fix our problem.

Coaching is all about looking at what you have and adjusting your offense for the talent you have in order to get something out of them. Zorn and Co. failed at this for 16 games. Sherm Lewis came in and adjusted the offensive scheme to its players. Genius, pure Genius.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:01 AM   #56
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
Vinny does deserve credit for ignoring O-line depth last offseason. Orakpo was definitely the right pick in the 1st round, but how do you go the rest of the draft without selecting an O-lineman despite the dire need? Worse still, when Jason is proving his meddle under fire, Vinny will go out and draft a QB with our 1st round pick before addressing O-line, mark my words.
Well, you know, best player available. When you, uh, don't do that you get in trouble.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:11 AM   #57
takethecake
Special Teams

Quote:
Ganther continues to impress me. He can't really block much right now, but we might be spoiled because we have the best blocking back in the league in Clinton Portis. Still, I love the way Ganther hits the hole and fights for the extra yards. I hope we find a place on the roster for him next year.
I remember the first time ganther saw action he had a couple nice blocks in pass pro. Didn't see much today in that department, but I know he can do it

Quote:
And finally, can't say enough about Lorenzo Alexander-making tackles on special teams, blocking on rushing touchdowns, getting a sack.
Alexander is a beast. I always get upset when the new Maddens come out and he's only rated somewhere in the 50s...

Quote:
The Raiders defensive line is underrated but still Campbell bailed out his line all day. He got little to no help from them today. I couldn't tell exactly who was the main culprit (I'll have to go back and see), but it looked Rabach.
I saw poor play by several members of the line today. On the first sack, Jones went to help block in the middle and let a linebacker come in untouched. Pretty sure that wasn't how the play was drawn up. Heyer allowed a sack too on an edge rush, although campbell did have a long dropback on that play. And yeah, rabach did get abused more than a few times. I guess the only decent play was from Williams and Dock.

Quote:
Nice forced fumble and key interception. Still he was getting targeted and abused by Gradkowski the whole first half.
I wonder if landry's ever going to understand... How do you get beat by a running back AND a tight end ONE WEEK after you let new orleans burn you twice? Isn't there supposed to be some sort of knowledge gained from these experiences...? At some point we've got to start blaming blache for this, I mean seriously....

Completely agree with the smackdown on ARE... this is now two muffed punts within how many weeks? Also agree on the refs and their lack of consistency this season, did you see the baltimore-green bay game with the cornucopia of PI calls?

Plus, let's not forget the props for Gano... his first FG attempt in the NFL from 46 and he nailed it.
takethecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:23 AM   #58
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
How do you get beat by a running back
McFadden is pretty good player in his own right, and is very athletic.
NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Darren McFadden
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #59
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
McFadden is pretty good player in his own right, and is very athletic.
NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Darren McFadden
and laron isn't? i know mcfadden is good, but laron is supposed should be able to cover a running back

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #60
rypper11
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Your killing me. This regime had 8 games last year where it failed to put points on the board and failed to fix the problem. Then 8 games at the beginning of this season we see the same thing. Why would we want to keep status quo? Zorn was in control of the last 2 min. of the games and still did horrible. Our only saving grace has been an aged Bingo caller who kindly decided to come and fix our problem.

Coaching is all about looking at what you have and adjusting your offense for the talent you have in order to get something out of them. Zorn and Co. failed at this for 16 games. Sherm Lewis came in and adjusted the offensive scheme to its players. Genius, pure Genius.
It's still Zorn's offense and he installs the gameplan and he and Smith coordinate and coach during the week. Sherm Lewis gets a copy of the gameplan and calls the plays (at least the passing ones and if it will be a run) on Sunday. JC has said repeatedly that he rarely, if ever, talks with Lewis. IMO, Lewis' has showed that Zorn was simply wearing too many hats and couldn't execute them all. Rather than focusing on the next three plays so one is ready the second the play is over, he's running the sideline, working the officials (though he still has a lot to learn on that) and offering insight. Minor changes to the coaching staff is to be expected, but don't blow it up. Since the second half of the Falcons game this team has fought hard and played well.
If it's not the coaches embracing their roles, then it has to be that CP brings the team down.