Your go to vacation spots

Parking Lot

Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #46
MTK
\m/

Re: Your go to vacation spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Great city! If you are going for a while hit up Hilton Head and Savannah; must see's.

I like Mello Mushroom

Charleston | Mellow Mushroom

There is a ton of bars and restaurants it is a fun town. Just if you can avoid it don't mention you are from up north they really still don't like Yankees.
We're there for 4 days but we're going to just stay put in Charleston, not renting a car either. We plan on hitting Savannah for another trip sometime.

Advertisements
Old 05-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #47
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I love the Outer Banks, NC. Depends on what you like to do on vacation. If you want to relax and really do nothing, it's great. Especially great after labor day when all the kids are back in school.
It's great then, and also great for Memorial Day week, kids are still in school. Actually lookin at the ocean as I type this. Weather couldn't be any better, gonna be 85 all week, not a cloud in the sky. And your right, nothing to do today. Except kill some dranks on the beach, gettin started w a mimosa today.

I've actually gotten a house down here the past five years. For a group of 15-20 you can find a killer house on or next to the water for about $225 a person. They have great rates right at the beginning and end of the season.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #48
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
We're there for 4 days but we're going to just stay put in Charleston, not renting a car either. We plan on hitting Savannah for another trip sometime.
You will be fine plenty to do there.

To be honest I think Savannah is a bit more fun with the River-walk, bar scene and the ghost tours rock.

So if on the last day you get a bit bored in Charleston grab a zip car and check out Savannah it is a beautiful drive too.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #49
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
It's great then, and also great for Memorial Day week, kids are still in school. Actually lookin at the ocean as I type this. Weather couldn't be any better, gonna be 85 all week, not a cloud in the sky. And your right, nothing to do today. Except kill some dranks on the beach, gettin started w a mimosa today.

I've actually gotten a house down here the past five years. For a group of 15-20 you can find a killer house on or next to the water for about $225 a person. They have great rates right at the beginning and end of the season.
My family is doing the Outer Banks this year for the first time. I kind of have mixed feelings about it because we are not a just do the beach for the day type of family. We are use to the OC and the boardwalk. We are going the week of 4th of July.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #50
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
My family is doing the Outer Banks this year for the first time. I kind of have mixed feelings about it because we are not a just do the beach for the day type of family. We are use to the OC and the boardwalk. We are going the week of 4th of July.
There really is a lot to do if you want to. There's tons of stuff in Nags head like mini golf, go carts, crazy restaurants, that sort of thing. Then there's also all the light houses, wild horses, wright brothers memorial down there too. That's kind of why I love it here the beach is so big there are different attractions to each part. Granted it takes about an hour and a half to get from end to end, but a lot of it is centered in Nags Head.

Where are you staying?

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #51
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Yeah Key West is on our list, someday we'll get there no doubt
Funny, I'm going there for the first time this year. Only problem is that I'll be missing a Redskins game. Anyone know any good bar spots that show all NFL games in Key West/Florida Keys area?

As far as great Vacation spots that I've been to:

If you want the beach, family wise (North) Myrtle Beach is great.

If you want to leave the mainland, Hawaii is nice, I go fairly frequently, but maybe its just me but for as nice as it is, people tend to over hype it. If you all go to Hawaii A) don't go to just one Island (or don't just go to Oahu) B) go for more than 1 week. Maui is the best island and is most like Hawaii in terms of what the mainland tourists think of it as.

Also if you want to go to the Bahamas or Virgin islands, Nassau is good, but St. Martin/Marteen is the best. Very quiet, very beautiful, very peaceful, lots to do. A week is just enough to tour/do everything on the island. The most beautiful beach in the world that I've ever been is there, called Prickly Pear. It looks like that beach from your computer desktop background. I would easily go back to St. Martin over a trip to Hawaii any day of the week.

If you don't want to go to a beach, somewhere local and beautiful are the local Shenandoah mountains. We have a cabin up there thats 20 minutes from the Shenandoah river and is in the forest, great for hunting in the winter, fishing in the summer. The wildlife you can see in Virginia is amazing.

Skiing wise, I'm still trying to go to Vale CO and Jackson Hole WY. Which is better of the two?

I agree that Florida has some of the best beaches. Been to Miami's beach. Hear great things about Key West from people, especially from people who have been and have been to the same places I have.

I've been to Cancun and the western beaches of Mexico. I wasn't impressed and it was way to crowded.

Thailand is beautiful and very tourist friendly. But obviously a LOT of money to travel to.

Been to Toronto. There was a trash strike there so I didn't get to see the ''good side'' of the city.

NYC is still the best city in the world. If you can't find something to do there, theres something wrong with you. I still need to get up there to see the new WTC memorial.

I still want to go to Australia and Bora Bora.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #52
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
There really is a lot to do if you want to. There's tons of stuff in Nags head like mini golf, go carts, crazy restaurants, that sort of thing. Then there's also all the light houses, wild horses, wright brothers memorial down there too. That's kind of why I love it here the beach is so big there are different attractions to each part. Granted it takes about an hour and a half to get from end to end, but a lot of it is centered in Nags Head.

Where are you staying?
Duck.

Any suggestions? My kids are 5 and 2.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #53
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Duck.

Duck sucks. Full of duke-grad doctor types. You will still enjoy it, but to me its a totally different experience from Nags Head/Kill Devil, Rodanthe/Avon, and Hatteras/Orracoke. Each place is unique. But Duck seems the least "beachy".

Im going down to Rodanthe for 5 days in mid June and then the last weekend in June for a fishing trip.

The Outer Banks has a lot to offer, but you got to get in the car to go do it, which can be frustrating if you got young kids.

I like OBX compared to the commercialized Va Beach, OC, and Myrtle Beach, but I can totally see why kids might perfer the other. OBX is more relaxing and chill. OBX has specifically choosen not to do a boardwalk, big bar scene, or big comercial bullsh*t. When they do it, they corral in certain areas off the main highway.

One thing I know for sure in comparison to other beach scenes, if your looking to Fish and eat good sea food, my friends, look no farther than the outter banks. I put it up against any spot.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #54
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Duck.

mred, when you get back post here and tell us how it went. Maybe Duck has gotten better, stayed there like 9 years ago. So its been awhile.

He Gets Us
Old 05-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #55
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
mred, when you get back post here and tell us how it went. Maybe Duck has gotten better, stayed there like 9 years ago. So its been awhile.
I will let you know my in-laws won the trip. So basically i got go with my in-laws so it could be in the best location in the world and still suck. Honestly I am not looking forward to it but one of those things you got do. I honestly hate mixed family vacations; it just a week of what you want do and juggling everyone's needs.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #56
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I will let you know my in-laws won the trip. So basically i got go with my in-laws so it could be in the best location in the world and still suck. Honestly I am not looking forward to it but one of those things you got do. I honestly hate mixed family vacations; it just a week of what you want do and juggling everyone's needs.
Oh boy, well alcohol will help with that.

Also you mentioned July 4, man the traffic is gonna be terrible. Its two lanes going in, so expect bumper to bumper. Its gonna be a tough call, but I would try to go down early, early Wednesday and I would expect most people rolling in Wed night and Thursday morning.

He Gets Us
Old 05-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #57
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Oh boy, well alcohol will help with that.

Also you mentioned July 4, man the traffic is gonna be terrible. Its two lanes going in, so expect bumper to bumper. Its gonna be a tough call, but I would try to go down early, early Wednesday and I would expect most people rolling in Wed night and Thursday morning.

My rental is over the entire week I will be there before the 4th.

It is one of those it is what it is situations. If both my kids have a could time that is all I need.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #58
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Vacations with friends or family can definitely be challenging. Sometimes you just have to break off and do your own thing at some point. Unfortunately there are always some people who get offended and think you need to do everything together.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #59
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Vacations with friends or family can definitely be challenging. Sometimes you just have to break off and do your own thing at some point. Unfortunately there are always some people who get offended and think you need to do everything together.
My family is like that.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #60
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
My step-mother...good god. She wants a vacation with every single member of her family she can name and all her friends. Then she gets bent out of shape when the 40 people in the house don't do everything together. She's like a 5 year old.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote