The runners thread

Parking Lot

Old 11-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: The runners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I've got the Bethesda Turkey Chase 10K on Thanksgiving morning. Pretty stoked. The wife and I are doing it together. She ran the Marine Corps 10K last Sunday and finished with a time of 55:08 which was in the 90th percentile for her age group (25-29). She's gonna be tough to beat!

I went to Sports Authority today to get some cold weather running gear. Love me some UnderArmour. Man I could break the bank in that store.

I have a buddy that works for under armor, every time i go to his house he is literally giving me a box of free stuff. Some of it is good other stuff not so much.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
GMScud
Swearinger

I went out today and did my first big training run for the 10K on Thanksgiving. 59:19, a 9:32/mile pace. Not too bad. I'll run 5 or 6 more 10K's between now and Turkey Day. I'd like to shave 4 or 5 minutes off of that. I can't lose to the wife!! Although she's a personal trainer and 4 years younger than I am. But still, no excuses!!

On a side note Matty, I know you're an iPhone guy- The Nike GPS running app is one the best $.99 I've spent at the App Store. Check out my facebook post from earlier. It tracks every run, gives you your splits, lets you know your pace as you're running, tracks your routes.... Great stuff.

Last edited by GMScud; 11-07-2011 at 07:15 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

Damn, under 60 minutes is a pretty kick ass time.

I need to break down and get some cold weather gear myself.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Nice to see this thread bumped, I've been in the habit of going to the gym lately and I do about 3 miles on the treadmill daily. When I started in early October, my main goal was to lose weight and get healthy, because I'm trying to get into firefighter recruit school when the next session starts up around January. I'm doing a combo proper diet and fitness routine, when I started I was at 243 pounds, and as of today I'm down to 232.

I stick to my diet 6 days a week, and so far it's going pretty well. I eat 3 meals a day, not including snacks (mostly nuts like walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, pistachios) and the occasional piece of fruit, and as for meals in the morning I eat 2 scrambled eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, and 1 piece of whole grain toast. The only meat I eat other than bacon on my diet is grilled chicken, I grill it all about once a week now and just throw some spice on there to give it some flavor, and then I split my lunch and dinner between a salad with grilled chicken and brown rice with grilled chicken.

I don't really have an idea of what vitamins my body needs, but since I don't have health insurance atm I just take one of the men's one-a-day and hope that's enough lol. I only drink water on diet days and some Gatorade G2 after a workout, and I've established a nice workout routine. My workout routine is Mon-Fri, I don't do it on the weekends (Saturday is my non-diet day), and it's working pretty well for me. I start on the treadmill, do 3 miles (walk the first 10th, then run for 4/10ths, then repeat till I hit 3 miles), then I do 40 crunches per set, then I hit the triceps machine (I haven't been very strong since I left my warehouse job over 15 months ago) and do about 30 reps per set at 25 pounds, then I hit the biceps machine and do 30 reps on that at 50 pounds. I alternate between the ab flexing machine, riding the bike (usually do a couple miles in a little over 8 minutes), and doing leg pushups.

Since I've never been an established member of a gym before I'm kinda feeling my way along, but so far it's going pretty well. I figure if I stay at this pace I should lose another 20 pounds in the next 2 months, and I really think I need to start taking muscle building vitamins to go with my workouts so I can gain strength while shedding fat simultaneously, but I don't know nearly enough about it to make an informed decision yet.

Anyways, long post aside, it's nice to have goals and having a daily purpose, so I'm not short on motivation .
Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I work at a hotel that has a full size BBALL court and a full track so I'm always staying active NTM mens BBall leagues
Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I went out today and did my first big training run for the 10K on Thanksgiving. 59:19, a 9:32/mile pace. Not too bad. I'll run 5 or 6 more 10K's between now and Turkey Day. I'd like to shave 4 or 5 minutes off of that. I can't lose to the wife!! Although she's a personal trainer and 4 years younger than I am. But still, no excuses!!

On a side note Matty, I know you're an iPhone guy- The Nike GPS running app is one the best $.99 I've spent at the App Store. Check out my facebook post from earlier. It tracks every run, gives you your splits, lets you know your pace as you're running, tracks your routes.... Great stuff.
I use that app all the time. Can't run without it.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
That Guy
Living Legend

I used to run 4 miles a day before i went civilian

if you want to improve speed - run 2 miles then do sprints (sprint 1/4 mile, jog 1/4, etc - go all out) for 2 miles. in 6 weeks you should be able to take 1-2min off your 1.5mile time.

also, those foot glove things can take a minute off, per my friends (i never used them), but they work different muscles when you run, so it takes a few days to get used to them.

I usually do 5ks in 23-30min depending on the day, nothing special, but anyone that's running twice a week can get those results within 3 months easily if they're serious.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

2 more months till my first marathon. I ran 17 miles on Saturday at about a 9:31/mile pace. If I don't ice my knee down after I run then my knee cap disappears for a few days amid a sea of fluid. The funny thing is the surgery that I need to have after the marathon is for the other knee that hasn't bother me at all.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
GMScud
Swearinger

724- how was your marathon?

So, Thanksgiving is a popular day for races. Any of you guys out there doing any running tomorrow?

I'm running the Bethesda Turkey Chase 10K tomorrow AM with my wife and my closest friend. Should be a lot of fun, and I'll get to earn all the turkey and Pinot Noir I'll be consuming later in the day.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Quote:
724- how was your marathon?

So, Thanksgiving is a popular day for races. Any of you guys out there doing any running tomorrow?

I'm running the Bethesda Turkey Chase 10K tomorrow AM with my wife and my closest friend. Should be a lot of fun, and I'll get to earn all the turkey and Pinot Noir I'll be consuming later in the day.
The Disney World Marathon is not until January. I just ran a 1/2 marathon this past weekend (1:50:13). Had a great time doing that and felt good at the end, so hoping the marathon goes well.

Tomorrow we're just doing a 5k walk with the kids here in Roanoke. The annual Drumstick Dash gets bigger and bigger every year. I think there were over 9,000 last year and should top that this year.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
The Disney World Marathon is not until January. I just ran a 1/2 marathon this past weekend (1:50:13). Had a great time doing that and felt good at the end, so hoping the marathon goes well.

Tomorrow we're just doing a 5k walk with the kids here in Roanoke. The annual Drumstick Dash gets bigger and bigger every year. I think there were over 9,000 last year and should top that this year.
Oh I misread your earlier post. You said two months until your first marathon, not two weeks. Oops.

Yeah last time I checked there were over 3,000 people registered for our race tomorrow. Should be madness.

My buddy's 3 year old son is doing the 50 meter "tot trot" as well. That will be fun.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

I was gonna do a Turkey Trot run but I've been sidelined for the last week with a bout of plantar fasciitis, today is the best my foot has felt in a while so I'm gonna hit the track for my own 5k this afternoon. I might sign up for a 5k on New Years Eve.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I was gonna do a Turkey Trot run but I've been sidelined for the last week with a bout of plantar fasciitis, today is the best my foot has felt in a while so I'm gonna hit the track for my own 5k this afternoon. I might sign up for a 5k on New Years Eve.
Ugh that sucks man. My mom has been dealing with that for a long time. She's an exercise nut, too. It really frustrated the heck outta her. Apparently it's really painful.

Happy Birthday by the way.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #14
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Ugh that sucks man. My mom has been dealing with that for a long time. She's an exercise nut, too. It really frustrated the heck outta her. Apparently it's really painful.

Happy Birthday by the way.
Thanks man.

Yeah it's a bitch. Mine comes and goes, lately it's been coming on more often than not though. I've just gotta be better about stretching properly, that makes a big difference. And after a run the first thing I do is ice it down.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
firstdown
Living Legend

So we have gone from pinching one off to the runs.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote