Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Samari or Freddy?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: 2005 Starting CBs: Springs and...
Smoot 38 65.52%
Harris 4 6.90%
Wilds 5 8.62%
Rolle 7 12.07%
Other (who?) 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2005, 02:02 PM   #46
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Re: Samari or Freddy?

look, the other FA we brought in that one year, sanders smith, etc. were all in their mid thirties. rolle is 28, and williams has coached him before. he knows what kind of player he is. if williams says hes the kind of player for HIS defense, then let it happen

Advertisements
Old 02-28-2005, 02:02 PM   #47
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C
look, the other FA we brought in that one year, sanders smith, etc. were all in their mid thirties. rolle is 28, and williams has coached him before. he knows what kind of player he is. if williams says hes the kind of player for HIS defense, then let it happen
Big C, I am squarely in your camp.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:04 PM   #48
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I'm on the fence on this one. Granted, Williams IS the NFL coach here and not me, I just don't quite understand why he would let Smoot walk. Saying that, I also agree with who posted that we should have at least OFFERED Smoot the kind of money that Rolle is asking.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:06 PM   #49
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
I still want to cling onto the hope that I had from hearing his radio interview.
Gibbs on Saturday said that negotiation had been steped up with Smoot And Peirce. I find it hard to believe that he would be saying this and at the same time having talks with Rolle. This does not sound like a Gibbs action.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:08 PM   #50
drew54
The Starter

I think Pasta is up to his "I hate the Redskins agenda."
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:08 PM   #51
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Very true, very true... I love optimism.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:08 PM   #52
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown
Gibbs on Saturday said that negotiation had been steped up with Smoot And Peirce. I find it hard to believe that he would be saying this and at the same time having talks with Rolle. This does not sound like a Gibbs action.
I was thinking the same thing. Which leads me to believe that the Rolle thing may be a ploy to get a reaction out of Smoot. And if he doesnt respond appropriately, then they have already set up talks with Rolle, and they can continue. The Skins are trying to tell Smoot that he doesnt have any leverage.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:09 PM   #53
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

I will be very let down if we sign Rolle. He is a hell of a player but so is Smoot. Smoot has already expressed how much he wants to be back. I will be very pissed off to see them give Rolle a contract bigger than the one that Smoot is asking for. He is a true Redskin and I can already see Gibbs having character problems with Rolle in the future. I really hope the front office thinks about this before offering him a contract. BRING BACK SMOOT!!!!!!
PSUskinsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:10 PM   #54
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown
I was thinking the same thing. Which leads me to believe that the Rolle thing may be a ploy to get a reaction out of Smoot. And if he doesnt respond appropriately, then they have already set up talks with Rolle, and they can continue. The Skins are trying to tell Smoot that he doesnt have any leverage.
Which is a good thing because he really ISN'T top 5 corner money (not to say his play won't escalate to BEING top 5)
Old 02-28-2005, 02:10 PM   #55
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

i can honestly say i love smoooooot dog and i don't want him to leave our team. it is bewildering to me that we can pay rolle that much his production is obviously down and last season was major low point in his career.

POSITIVES OF BOTH
We must remember however that ROLLE was under greg williams for his first few seasons and i believe that he may go back to that level of production. the titans went to the superbowl with both a good defense and offense and rolle was part of that team. he did pick off 6 int in the 2003-2004 season. He is probally in the top 7 CB in the league and is a coveted free agent this year.

Smoot has improved greatly this season just like most everyone else on our team. he is definitly a leader on the team as are others but he is the voice. We hear him and get to see him. He is a true redskin one that has fun on the field. we can remember his dance after a sack in the lions game that washington got. it cost us 15 yards but we all must of laughed after we got the ball back. he is a face of the team and is probally.....no most definatly the best "NUMBER 2" CB in the league.

COMPARE
Rolle is probally better . he is known to be one of the best. But smoot has been the team his whole career. Rolle is a wife beater while smoot is a city lover. money is a surprising issue in that 12-14 million and we may pay rolle 15 million, it could be less and the difference in the bonus could be only a million. I don't think he can be compared at all to deion or bruce smith, they were past their peaks and samari is just getting started he could have another 7 good years if he is lucky. Both have experience with greg but samari seems to be greg's favorite. WIlliams knows the players more than any of us, we are just fans and reporters are just reporters and when williams is aware of both of their strengths and what they mean to the team. If GW Is OK then i will trust his judgement.

???? WHAT ABOUT TY LAW?
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:10 PM   #56
heybigstar
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982
Well... They said Springs was injury prone before he came here. Rolle has played for Williams before and he has personal ties to this defense in the coaching staff.
Smoot also has played for Williams. Last year!!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:13 PM   #57
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

On the status of Fred Smoot's negotiations:
"Fred Smoot is definitely a Redskin. Freddy came in last week and had a great talk with Dan and myself. The defensive coaches think a lot of him and we're working hard on that."

straight from Gibbs. I hope this is some kind of sign!!!! BRING BACK SMOOT!!!!!!
PSUskinsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:19 PM   #58
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown
GIBBS IS A GENIOUS, THIS IS VERY POSSIBLE
Old 02-28-2005, 02:21 PM   #59
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

So tonight at midnight is the beginning of the free agency process eh? I can't wait to see what will happen tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:24 PM   #60
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUskinsfan11
On the status of Fred Smoot's negotiations:
"Fred Smoot is definitely a Redskin. Freddy came in last week and had a great talk with Dan and myself. The defensive coaches think a lot of him and we're working hard on that."

straight from Gibbs. I hope this is some kind of sign!!!! BRING BACK SMOOT!!!!!!
Reports say that williams is pushing for smoot and i don't think that Gibbs was going to say that Fred is dumb or anything negitive. I truely want smoot back i have 2 jerseys of him, he is in my top 3 favorite players but this negotiation stuff has gone on to long also someone said he expressed how much he wanted to be here..... how? they have been arguing for months about a couple million both sides should cave a little. I don't want a new player on the team with questionable character but williams is not dumb, williams knows the positives and negitives of both of these guys and he is advising that we pay more for rolle and " I hope this is somekind of sign!!!!"