Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

I have a question about speeding tickets

Parking Lot

Old 04-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #46
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Re: I have a question about speeding tickets

Honestly, if the cop reduced the ticket down to 5 over from a double digit speeding ticket, I'd probably be very grateful he did. Pay it, and learn your lesson.

My last speeding ticket could have been accompanied with a ticket for "running" a yield light, but he didn't give me that one. Funny about that was, I actually was speeding for approximately 10 seconds if THAT long. I had pulled out into the road (the road was 35 MPH) went from 0 to 56 in just a few seconds (I was driving a V8 mustang) and slowed down to 40 mph in just about the same amount of time. So there was a very, very small window of opportunity for the cop to clock me going anything significantly over the speed limit, but alas, he did. If I had not driven through the yellow light, he probably would not have pulled me over. The problem was, this was one of those intersections where if you don't go ahead and slow down while the light is green, then the yellow light will catch ya at a point where you're forced to slam on your breaks (and I will never take that option since I've been rear-ended before) or to run through the yellow while it turns to red at the point where you're right under the light. So, me "running" the yellow light (as silly as that sounds to me) gave him enough ammo to pull me.

After that, I decided it's better to slow down and obey the speed limit to the best of my abilities, rather than to risk losing my license or at best be forced to pay out money that can be spent wisely on things I need. I now drive a Honda Accord (had to spring for the 270 HP V6 though lol) and it's a bit easier for me to keep within the limit, even though that car is quite a peppy little car. But, I feel much more calm driving now.

Advertisements
Old 04-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #47
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Your speeding your speeding. You can be ticketed.

Most courts though would laugh the officer out of the court room for writing a ticket for 1-5 mph over the speed limit. So usually you won't see those tickets. Almost everyone does 5-10 mph over the speed limit on our roads. The officers I know won't start writing tickets until your doing 15 mph or more, unless you were driving wreckless. Meaning all over the road or weaving in and out of traffic.

-go to court, and hope the officer does not show- it should get dropped.

-have your speedometer checked to see how far off it is.

-Plea not guilty and ask for speeding to be reduced to improper driving then ask for driving school. A lot of times this will be given and if completed perhaps dropped off their record upon the court getting the certificate that shows you finished driving school.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #48
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Kind of what im hoping for. Id rather pay a fine than do online driving class, but well see what happens.
driving class = no points = saving up to 2k from not getting your insurance rates jacked (depending on the situation).
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #49
firstdown
Living Legend

Well the best person to call is your insurance agent to see how they would view the ticket. Every company I deal with its either speeding or Reckless driving so getting it reduced from 20 over to 10 or 5 over does not help as far as insurance. There is also a very good chance that they will never even know you received a ticket. My companies don't usually pull customers driving records after they have become a customer. Its a cost thing at $8 a pop X millions of customers.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #50
los panda
Pro Bowl

i did one of those driving classes in the flesh. it was like 8 hours straight, no break, saturday. i remember feeling like i learned my lesson, and i did
Old 04-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #51
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
i did one of those driving classes in the flesh. it was like 8 hours straight, no break, saturday. i remember feeling like i learned my lesson, and i did
I just took one about a week ago, and it was easy as hell. Only spent about 5 hours in there total, the questions were super easy and they allowed us to take the test with the book so there wasn't any way you'd fail. I was there at 8 in the morning and we left at like 1:30, and this was after they gave us a 45 min lunch break at 11:30 in the morning lol.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #52
firstdown
Living Legend

Those driving classes will not help you with your insurance in Va unless the judge agreed to remove the ticket if you attend. In Va insurance companies don't look at your points they look at your actual driving record.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #53
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Those driving classes will not help you with your insurance in Va unless the judge agreed to remove the ticket if you attend. In Va insurance companies don't look at your points they look at your actual driving record.
I did mine voluntarily.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #54
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post

So driving class is only worth while if the judge says theyll dismiss the charge if i complete it? I feel like thats the only way a regular joe speeder gets driving class, unless they take it on their own like mooby?

I got the 11 year driving record and it only has 1 additional line on it that says:

*** completed court approved drivers education course ***

But nothing else to go along with that. Im not even sure what date it corresponds to, if any. Or if its classes i had to take when i got speeding tickets as a 16 year old or the one i took to get my license, both of which were more than 11 years ago.

Whats really wierd is is it has a note about my dwelling in 1998, which is more then 11 years ago and would have been when i was 15 or maybe even 14. The examples DMV shows has actually stuff on it, mine just has a history of 3 renewels for my drivers licens. Which is good but its confusing.

Either way courts tomorrow. Hopefully the cop doesnt show up.